Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, the chrome wheels would have barely rubbed the front calipers which are aftermarket so maybe that’s why. Anyway, I am thinking about just using hubcentric spacers ( 3mm front and 5mm rear or 5mm all wheels) so I am looking for any opinions. For now I am detailing it like crazy over 5 days so my back, knee, etc. will be ok. Will post pics starting tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well, the chrome wheels would have barely rubbed the front calipers which are aftermarket so maybe that’s why. Anyway, I am thinking about just using hubcentric spacers ( 3mm front and 5mm rear or 5mm all wheels) so I am looking for any opinions. For now I am detailing it like crazy over 5 days so my back, knee, etc. will be ok. Will post pics starting tomorrow.
I thought spacers were really hard on the hubs.... could be just old info poking about.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I thought spacers were really hard on the hubs.... could be just old info poking about.

Yes that is true, but I think the thicker ones cause much more stress on parts, very thin ones like I need are not a big deal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Yes that is true, but I think the thicker ones cause much more stress on parts, very thin ones like I need are not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
ok. wheel bearings arent hard to change and now that I know the ones on rock auto are the same ones you get from dodge at 1/3 the price lol its not a big deal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok. wheel bearings arent hard to change and now that I know the ones on rock auto are the same ones you get from dodge at 1/3 the price lol its not a big deal.

I did talk to the wheel company and a guy that works at Discount Tire. He has a 370 whp Caliber SRT-4. They both agreed that a 5mm spacer or less is fine. Plus I will only drive it 5k miles per year or less. Here are some pics of my detail job, about half done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I did talk to the wheel company and a guy that works at Discount Tire. He has a 370 whp Caliber SRT-4. They both agreed that a 5mm spacer or less is fine. Plus I will only drive it 5k miles per year or less. Here are some pics of my detail job, about half done.
That's one shiny paint job!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Personally, I'd return them and get wheels that fit roperly (offset). I'm fussy and would rather avoid the complications of wheel spacers and maybe longer lug bolts leading to open tuner lugs plus the heavier weight of these wheels. I don't mind aluminum hub centrec rings and only have them on my car to fill the larger hole between my Centerline Storm wheels and the hub stub. If I was a drag racer like you, I'd probably be looking at 16" steel wheels and slicks and keep the originality of the stock wheels (chromed or polished) and the 205 x 55 x 17 tyres. But to each his/her own.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
What was the offset of the new wheels you got? And I wouldn't do anything more then 3mm on stock studs. I disagree on wheel bearings being easy. They are easy on the rear but the front is a different animal. They are a PITA IMO. I am sure its easy for someone that does them all the time, but look up the how-to for the front wheel bearings. Not fun. If you are going to do new wheel bearings in the front I would get a new hub and press in longer studs then you can run bigger spacers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What was the offset of the new wheels you got? And I wouldn't do anything more then 3mm on stock studs. I disagree on wheel bearings being easy. They are easy on the rear but the front is a different animal. They are a PITA IMO. I am sure its easy for someone that does them all the time, but look up the how-to for the front wheel bearings. Not fun. If you are going to do new wheel bearings in the front I would get a new hub and press in longer studs then you can run bigger spacers.
The offset is 40mm. I am still considering different wheels. I know that is really the best thing to do for safety and parts lasting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Wheel the 3mm were too small up front. The 5mm just barely clear but they do. The guy at nlmotoring (whereI got the wheels) said basically if u can slip an index card between the caliper and wheel spokes then it will work. My brother put aftermarket wheels for winter on his CTS-V and they were very close but cleared on the lift. But while driving they just barely scraped the calipers, Discount Tire bought him new factory calipers. Is it possible that under hard driving that heat and/or stress could cause that?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Wheel the 3mm were too small up front. The 5mm just barely clear but they do. The guy at nlmotoring (whereI got the wheels) said basically if u can slip an index card between the caliper and wheel spokes then it will work. My brother put aftermarket wheels for winter on his CTS-V and they were very close but cleared on the lift. But while driving they just barely scraped the calipers, Discount Tire bought him new factory calipers. Is it possible that under hard driving that heat and/or stress could cause that?
In most applications calipers float in relation to the rotor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Going back to Discount Tire tomorrow to get the chrome wheels installed. Gonna put the 5mm spacers up front and the 3mm on the rear. Will post pics when done. By the way, I checked the BC Coilovers and the driver’s rear setting was at 0 (Other 3 were at 6). I put both rears at 8 and the fronts at 6. Might go higher on all. Any advice?

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No go on the 5mm spacers, due to a tiny bit of scraping the caliper and not enough turns on the lug nuts to be safe. I think the Advanced Auto Calipers are part of the problem. So now I’m back to using bolt on 15mm spacers but can’t find them in stock anywhere. I can get 25mm but don’t want to go that big.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Shave down the calipers and then paint them.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
^^^^^^^ plenty of meat there. you could go big brake I think they are thinner? I dont remember what my car looked like with the stock brakes.

Wilwood BBK I was going to buy from Jeff Lepper years ago would not have cleared by 44mm offset Centerline Storms. Jeff took the time to measure with a vernier gauge. So I stayed with the decent OEM calipers and upgraded them to slotted (NOT drilled, they crack) rotors and ceramic pads which perform better and are still on the car with over 110K miles.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Wilwood BBK I was going to buy from Jeff Lepper years ago would not have cleared by 44mm offset Centerline Storms. Jeff took the time to measure with a vernier gauge. So I stayed with the decent OEM calipers and upgraded them to slotted (NOT drilled, they crack) rotors and ceramic pads which perform better and are still on the car with over 110K miles.
Nice, I hated the stock brakes. They faded if I are doing anything above 120 and needed to stop... or if you have to deal with typical California traffic. hahahah.. I went with the bbk and its nice they don't fade, or I havent gotten them to the point of fade yet.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts