Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered these wheels. Primax 17x7 chrome. I personally like chrome wheels better than black, and I keep them shiny enough to blind you! Can’t decide if I should keep the almost new 205/50/17 Firestone tires or spend the money on 225/45/17. What do you guys think I should do? I will be selling the powder coated black stock wheels (with the tires if I buy new).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
How much do they weigh is the important thing.
I ran the stock 205/50/17 on my Storms for a while.
Then got several Toyo Proxy 4's in 225/45/17 which were good.
But now have the Michelin Pilot Sports in 225/45/17 and they are great in wet and dry.
I prefer 4-season tires for cold, rainy weather we sometimes get in California when not in drought.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But now have the Michelin Pilot Sports in 225/45/17 and they are great in wet and dry.
I prefer 4-season tires for cold, rainy weather we sometimes get in California when not in drought.
I have decided to keep the tires and spend the money on more important things like timing belt, plugs, wires etc. I store it during the winter and don’t drive it in the rain if possible so tires can wait until next year.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
they are 22.5lbs each.

·
Super Moderator
16,136 Posts
I am making an assumption here that the tires on the car are the Firehawk Indy 500?

I'm hoping the 225/45/17 offer you more options than the factory 205/50/17.

I'm looking for new tires myself now, in the original factory size, but it is slim pickings these days. So many cars are running 18-20 inch rims now, 17 inch performance tires are kind of an afterthought, especially in 205/50. I thought I wanted the BFG G-Force SC-2, but they are an 89W and a few people I've talked to said they really don't recommend them. (the SRT-4 is strongly recommended to have 93Y or better).

EDIT: wow, lots more choices in the 225/45/17

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes they are the Firehawk Indy 500. They seem to be good overall tires for a 300 WHP SRT4. I don’t autocross or road course the car, so I am going to keep them for now since I just ordered over $500 worth of stuff from Modern Performance and my budget is blown anyway. But I will almost for sure upgrade to the 225/45/17 size next year ( or sooner If I find a phenomenal deal).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I never had an issue with the advans in Cali..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
they are 22.5lbs each.
That's a bit heavier than I would like :cool:
I have always prefered lighter wheels as long as they are strong.
My forged alloy Centerlines are strong and only weigh 14 lbs each.
This really helps handling in the twisties by reducing the unsprung weight.
And brakes seems to last forever too.
But downside is they seem much easier to spin at the drag strip.
I think because heavier wheels have more of a flywheel effect.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
do you have the wilwood upgrade?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree on the weight but since I am more of a drag race driver I am not to concerned. I think if I upgrade to bigger tires tho I will buy lighter wheels, just hate to pay big bucks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you have the wilwood upgrade?

No I just have slotted rotors and Hawk pads all around. Front rotors are cryotrelated. Plus I downshift a lot to help braking. Have always done that in all my 40 years of driving sticks.

·
Super Moderator
16,136 Posts
No I just have slotted rotors and Hawk pads all around. Front rotors are cryotrelated. Plus I downshift a lot to help braking. Have always done that in all my 40 years of driving sticks.
Clutchmasters told me I couldn't downshift to slow down for the first 500 miles on the stage 3 clutch I just installed, talk about a complete change in driving style, I'd be coming up to a red light and take her out of gear, then have to remember not to downshift, using my brakes a lot more. Thank God that's over :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clutchmasters told me I couldn't downshift to slow down for the first 500 miles on the stage 3 clutch I just installed, talk about a complete change in driving style, I'd be coming up to a red light and take her out of gear, then have to remember not to downshift, using my brakes a lot more. Thank God that's over :D
Brakes are easier and cheaper to replace than clutches.:cool:
true but downshifting sounds so much better!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually they weigh 20.3 lbs. each. The 22 lb. is shipping weight with box etc. but still will get lighter ones when I get 225/45/17 tires.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
post installed pictures! I totally forgot about NLmotoring. Hopefully you get them in a timely fashion! I deal to do a 215 or a 225 for a 7'' wheel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will post pics. I am scheduled to get them this Tuesday, will have them on by Fri. Or Sat. I have never bought wheels without seeing them in person first so I hope I like them as much as I think I will! Tomorrow I plan to put on the new coil, plugs, wires, heat shield, and heat wrap. Gonna put the heat wrap on intake and heat shield. Soon will be timing belt, water pump and 180 thermostat.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts