Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 10w7 sealed. i need more bass. inside the car is enough but i want more outside. so i was going to upgrade to either 2 12 w6V2 or another 10w7. either would be ported. which ones better? i was also told since i already have a 500/1 that i should by another 500/1 instead of trading up to a 1000/1 since i would then have 2 power supplys.. any comment suggestions or anything would be helpfull... i was quoted $400 for the 10w7 and $420 for the other 500/1 amp aswell form a reputable dealer.
:deadcow: thanks, nick

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
nick0716 said:
i have an 10w7 sealed. i need more bass. inside the car is enough but i want more outside.

so you want to annoy the shit out of everyone else around you? :gay:

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of my buddies had 2 10" w7 's with the JL 1000:1 and he sold it about a year later and said his hearing got worse since owning that stuff. and I could prob hear him 1/2 a mile away in busy town so if you want bass def go with 2 10's, also, my friend bought a single 12 w7 which is still pretty loud but a think a 13.5 is the same as the 10's except the sound. Go 2 10's w/ ported box

Better lower the front, his shit weighed like 150 pounds in the trunk

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well do u guys think i should port my single 10w7 cause its getting old i want more POWER... would it really make a big difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude you got the srt-4 for speed, looking at your mods the more w7's u put in the slower ur gonna get unless its like "show" or something

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
nick0716 said:
well do u guys think i should port my single 10w7 cause its getting old i want more POWER... would it really make a big difference?

yes porting makes a huge difference, but back to my previous post, if your reasoning behind adding another sub or porting the one you have is so you can hear it more outside your car, that is all wrong. the purpose of a system in your car is to hear it there, IN YOUR CAR. people spend hundreds, and thousands in some cases, making sure people cannot hear their stereo outside their car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have two 12w7s and that is ungodly loud. one 10w7 is fine. you should just build or get a box built with a slot port built to the jl specs. i built my box with the slot ports built to specs and it is perfect. i used to have 2 12w6s and they were alright, but i love my w7s. i got one for each sub. but the setup you got is perfect a slot ported box built to specs would change alot. w7s were designed for ported enclosures anyways. the rest of of the jl line was desined for sealed enclosures.

·
Registered
437 Posts
got wake? said:
yes porting makes a huge difference, but back to my previous post, if your reasoning behind adding another sub or porting the one you have is so you can hear it more outside your car, that is all wrong. the purpose of a system in your car is to hear it there, IN YOUR CAR. people spend hundreds, and thousands in some cases, making sure people cannot hear their stereo outside their car.

I agree, but you have to sell the customer what he wants.

It depends on what you want loud. A W7 will crank out bass disc frequencies, but the bass in techno will be lacking as they aren't really able to play that high. If you want a more typicle sb, then the 12W6 is a great. Remeber the W7 is ment to be the ultimate SQ sub, in other word, its not ment for what you want. Get 2 Cervin Vega Stroker 15's :wah?!:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah,
thanks for all your input more is still needed. the people who made my orignal sealed box (tweeter's) made it all lop-sided (sub more to the left than right) didnt even bolt it in the trunk so i have to set it side ways so the sub doesnt hit the back of the trunk. i should get a ported before i go to an extreme of 2 10w7. in the car is more than enough but now i need some BLING factor so i can roll up and my bass can be heard from afar. I mean come on u spend 2.5k on just sub system u want at least that. If all u guys think ported will solve this i will invest in $200 (price to make a ported box from tweeter) and port it. otherwize move on to a lager or different sub. thanks for your help.
nick

·
Registered
520 Posts
u can can go with 3 jlw6v2's and it will sound way better than 2 w7s for themoney 2 w7s cost

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
eatmydust said:
u can can go with 3 jlw6v2's and it will sound way better than 2 w7s for themoney 2 w7s cost

how will they sound better?

3 w6v2 10's have damn near the same output as 2 w7 10's.
at the rated excursion the difference between the 2 combinations is most definitely inaudible. the w7's would be louder by about .05 dB.

3 w6v2 12's have a bit less output as 2 w7 12's.
at the rated excursion the difference between them is about .88 dB favoring the w7's. most people cannot hear a 1 dB difference, but still, the w7's have more output.

3 w6v2 13's have damn near the same output as 2 w7 13's.
as the rated excursion the w6's would be slightly louder. about .07 dB's louder.

the only combination that you would be able to maybe hear a difference is 3 w6v2 12's VS. 2 w7 12's. and if you think you can hear a sound quality difference between those combinations, lol, that's just hilarious :lol:

12w6v2 on e-bay: $330 shipped. $990 total for 3.
12w7 on e-bay: $1069 shipped for a pair.

recomended power:
400 rms for the 12w6v2: 1200 total
750 rms for the 12w7: 1500 total
a difference of 300 watts will not make that big of a difference.

so for the money, they are both very similar setups, and choice comes down to 1 thing: what space and configuration you can work with, since nothing else really matters, as the output is going to be very similar, and price will be about 20% different.

·
Registered
520 Posts
well im saying this because i had an audi a4 and i had the 3 10" w6v2 running off a ppi amp now my buddy had an s4 with 2 w7s and the exact same ppi amp now the body style of thoose 2 cars are the same so trunk shape none of that stuff mattered the w6v2s played much much cleaner the w7 is more of a sub for whatr i like to call "***** bass" the v2s sub design and what it was built for is totally different from the w7 or they would have never made one or the other so if u like rap then go with the w7 if u like various types of music then go with the v2's.. my choice is 3 v2's they will outperforme 2 w7s any day of the week playing anytype of music but this is my experience with theese 2 subs and please respect... all it comes down to is what YOU wanna do not what everyone else is saying jl stuff is top of the line and

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
eatmydust said:
well im saying this because i had an audi a4 and i had the 3 10" w6v2 running off a ppi amp now my buddy had an s4 with 2 w7s and the exact same ppi amp now the body style of thoose 2 cars are the same so trunk shape none of that stuff mattered the w6v2s played much much cleaner the w7 is more of a sub for whatr i like to call "***** bass" the v2s sub design and what it was built for is totally different from the w7 or they would have never made one or the other so if u like rap then go with the w7 if u like various types of music then go with the v2's.. my choice is 3 v2's they will outperforme 2 w7s any day of the week playing anytype of music but this is my experience with theese 2 subs and please respect... all it comes down to is what YOU wanna do not what everyone else is saying jl stuff is top of the line and

wow, i nominate that for the most ignorant post of the year :readclose

the w7 was designed with pure SQ being their goal. so saying the the w6v2's sounded cleaner is total crap. there are a million things that can effect how a system sounds. when it comes to the sub, the main factors are HU/processors, amp(s), and enclosure. the sub effects how loud it is, and maybe 10% of how it actually sounds. 90% of the sound is due to the enclosure. i've built over 50 enclosures over the past few years. about 10 sealed, 30 ported, and about 15 alternative design enclosures like transmission line, horn, and 6th order bandpass. so yes, i do know what i am talking about.

the w6v2 was designed and built based on the w7. they use some of the same technology because it worked so well on the w7. they make them both because they make money off both. more people can afford a w6v2 than a w7. even more can afford a w3. pretty much every major subwoofer manufacturer has multiple lines. that's how they make money off everyone, not just people that will spend a lot.

unless you have the 3 w6v2's in a properly built, optimal enclosure being compared against 2 w7's in an equally well built, optimal enclosure, in a double blind test, your judgement means absolutely shit.

i would suggest learning a thing or 2 before running your mouth about things you don't know and apparently don't understand, and using offensive terms.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
cbr900son said:
Personally after hearing other subs I dont think the jls are worth it. Better subs for less out there.

there are quite a few that will hold their own against the w7 in low volume SQ. it's when you get into the higher volumes that the really w7's shine, however IMHO they still aren't as good at extremely high excursion as a sub with xbl2 technology (brahma, koda, and XXX). the xbl2 is the best system for low distorion and high excursion. the only system i've seen that could be better is a design from TC sounds (builder of IDMAX and a few other excellent subs) that has yet to be put into full production. 42 mm of xmax, if i remember correctly, and a motor designed for extremely low distortion. as far as i know, nobody has taken them up on a contract to build them, due to high pricing. needless to say, i can't wait for what will follow the brahma and XXX. the design by TC sounds, if incorporated with xbl2, could be a serious monster :eveilgrin

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had two 12w6v2's with the JL 1000/1. It was a great system, but god damn there were a couple songs that hit so damn hard I felt retarded for a half hour after listening to them. And my hearing was getting worse and worse by the week. If 1 w7 isn't enough for you, I understand why, but it will be once you've had head aches from too much bass over many months.

Port it, save money for something else.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i have 2 crappy 10's now. I just got the jbl1200bpx and was going to get the XXX 12
Got wake would the be a good sounding setup. I want to go sealed box because i am also trying to save some space. Is it going to sound that much better if i go ported. The music i listen to is all hip hop raggae and raggaeton

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
04srt4silver said:
i have 2 crappy 10's now. I just got the jbl1200bpx and was going to get the XXX 12
Got wake would the be a good sounding setup. I want to go sealed box because i am also trying to save some space. Is it going to sound that much better if i go ported. The music i listen to is all hip hop raggae and raggaeton

you are going to shit yourself with the XXX :thumbsup:

for that music, definitely port it. it'll take up more space, but with a good design you can fit it in :thumbsup: tune it to 35 hz and you'd be set :eveilgrin ported will just be louder and more efficient.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts