Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight i got in my first drag race in my srt4 with an RX8. I reved and feathered the throtle around 2000 rpms and sliped the clutch as i floored it. I had so much wheel hop and spinning i had to back off and then slam it into 2nd. After I hooked i blew him away but first gear i got shat on! My question is as you are slipping the clutch, do you slowly apply the gas or drill it? Also if you dump the clutch do you drill the gas or dump it and slowly give it gas? I'm coming from racing with a wrx so this lack of traction is kinda new to me.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Slowly apply the gas. Pretend like the clutch and the sas pedal are connected. Work them exactly like a see-saw...hehe. Imagine a center pivot point. As you let out the clutch, slowly, apply throttle...slowly. It takes a while to get.

Upgraded MM's are a must too! Just go play around at your local track. Safest place to practice launching!

·
Banned
10,541 Posts
first i will nit pick a lil. there are about 100 different ways to usefully title this thread. there are other existing (and recent) threads in this section to answer your question.

now your answer.
my strategy is to go lots of gas and little clutch. rev it up pretty good and ride that clutch out. basically it will prevent any bogging, and you are capable of getting maximum power out of the hole. when engaging the gear, do not pounce on your gas pedal until you have enough momentum to keep traction.

in the other thread "how to launch" i posted a video. also, there were more opinions given in there. find the video and do not expect to launch like that every time or with regular street tire pressure.

j.r.:king:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
j.r. I saw the video and i downloaded it for future use. I took time last night to read through the various posts on launching and I saw alot about suggested rpms and suggested clutch procedures but not much of gas pedal application. Thanks for both of your responses. Also to the first post what are MM's?

·
Banned
10,541 Posts
i get the gas pedal where i want it for my launch rev and leave it there as i slip the clutch. once i get the gear engaged and have momentum i lay into the gas a bit and once it is safe i mash the gas to the floor and never let up til the end of the track.

j.r.:king:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep watching that video and I have two questions. 1. are you running drag slicks? It looks like you launch at 4 grand and dump the clutch. 2. What's a good safe way to learn how to WOT shift, it seems like a few times of missing gears would be killer on the tranny.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. Thats all it is. I have some 20 or so runs in at the track and I have been able to bring my 60' fts from a 2.5 stock to a 2.0 on drag radials. I have cut my R/T from .500+ to .050-.199. Just go to your local track and practice. Thats probably the best advice I was told.

Drag radials also help to. I got some and they work like a charm

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.