Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need a six speed transmission for us overseas owners driving around at 100+mph everyday.
And on that note, will any good 6 speed tranny bolt up to an SRT-4?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
If it did, I doubt it would handle the torque for very long!

I don't know if I'd want a six speed now that I'm leaving Germany, though.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason the car has such a short turning radus is also due to the tranny. So, maybe a new 6-speed tranny that can handle the torque coming off the engine and MAYBE it will produce a tighter turning radius?
Meh, what the hell do I know? "I'm not a mechanic."

·
Registered
988 Posts
iball said:
The reason the car has such a short turning radus is also due to the tranny. So, maybe a new 6-speed tranny that can handle the torque coming off the engine and MAYBE it will produce a tighter turning radius?
Meh, what the hell do I know? "I'm not a mechanic."

Meh, what the hell do I know? "I'm not a mechanic."...Eye know you are an IBALL ( I know it was stupid but I couldn't resist)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You don't need 6 speeds, you need more torque. Get s3, and you'll have plenty enough power.

·
Banned
27,300 Posts
6 speed,

you guys wanna end up like Sti owners...and just about everyone else with 6 speeds....3 gears gets you just about to 60 or a lil over...sheesh screw that shit. I'll take a tall geared 5 anyday specially one with a 3.53 final drive :)

Steering ratio/ turning radius,

the steering ratio on the car is THE slowest they made for a neon...hell regular neons have the same ratio but the real kicker is that even with this ratio alot of people still manage to wreck their cars. Im not gonna sit here and debate on this but for liability reasons there is not likely to be a faster ratio rack nor will you get more turning radius as the wheels/tires need room to clear tranny. nuff said

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ebbtide said:
You don't need 6 speeds, you need more torque. Get s3, and you'll have plenty enough power.
Allllllrighty then, imagine this scenario:

You are on the Autobahn 5 heading into Frankfurt, Germany. It's sunny, the weather is good, and you have not one, but THREE nice open lanes of very little traffic.
And no speed limit.
So you jump your SRT-4 up to 130mph since you're kinda in a hurry.
Now, here's your homework for this evening: What RPMs are you sitting at when are driving along at a legal 130 mph? Bonus points for those that can also correctly guess how many RPMs at 140 & 150 mph.
Now, riddle me this Batman, would you want to do that for HOURS AND HOURS on end? Or would you rather have the OPTION of switching to a sixth gear with a little less "oomph" and a little lower RPM at 130 mph? (Granted, like the guy in the post above, gear ratios are the most important thing in the tranny and what help to deliver a lower RPM rate in higher gears.)
So, for all of those that think a 6-speed transmission is worthless, come over here and try to rent a car that has more than 3 doors on it that DOESN'T have a 6 speed. There's a reason for it. It's called "having speed limits that make sense".

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
We're such a small minority though, iball. I doubt anyone would invest in developing one for us.

You asked the right question though, are there any that bolt up?

·
SRT Forums Veteran
1,198 Posts
A sixth gear would be nice until you have to shift all the time. I would like a taller third gear for the 1/4 mile, instead of shifting at about 95, shift at 105, make for a better time........ Of course being a taller gear might slow us down enough that it won't hit 95 in the 1/4 on a non modified SRT-4... I don't know if a sixth gear would even help, I hit 155 and that is it, sitting at 5700 rpm's, but if a sixth gear could drop it down to about 5300-5400, it might bring us back into some HP for a little more umf, but hey, what do I know.....

·
Registered
250 Posts
iball said:
We need a six speed transmission for us overseas owners driving around at 100+mph everyday.
And on that note, will any good 6 speed tranny bolt up to an SRT-4?[/Q

the answer would be no, it is a FWD transaxle meaning in houses the transmission, and drive diferential together, you would have to get one custom built or modified, probboly get new CV joints, and might have to modify your suspension, transmissions for FWD cars are very very diferent in desgin, i have done a number of clutch jobs, and work on drive lines in FWD cars and they are very diferent between makes, the only ones that have some similarity are FWD hondas, they all seem to have the same look and designe to them but even then i don't think the bolts would line up nor would the CV joints. The transaxle in the SRT4 is bullet proof it is manufactured by New Venture Gear, and has quite nicely spaced gearing, i have heard it can take 600+ lbs trq, and read an article on a SRT in texas that had 500wtrq and the internals on the enigne gave out before the tranny did twice if u want to change the gearing you could look at changing the diferential in it, iam sure it would be alot cheaper and easier then customizing a 6spd, or getting one custom built and modifying all the other crap, you will lose acceleration down low, and gain more top end speed, or at least lower RPMs at higher speeds if thats what you are looking for, hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JAYRT4 said:
iball said:
And on that note, will any good 6 speed tranny bolt up to an SRT-4?[/Q

the answer would be no, it is a FWD transaxle meaning in houses the transmission, and drive diferential together, you would have to get one custom built or modified, probboly get new CV joints, and might have to modify your suspension, transmissions for FWD cars are very very diferent in desgin, i have done a number of clutch jobs, and work on drive lines in FWD cars and they are very diferent between makes, the only ones that have some similarity are FWD hondas, they all seem to have the same look and designe to them but even then i don't think the bolts would line up nor would the CV joints. The transaxle in the SRT4 is bullet proof it is manufactured by New Venture Gear, and has quite nicely spaced gearing, i have heard it can take 600+ lbs trq, and read an article on a SRT in texas that had 500wtrq and the internals on the enigne gave out before the tranny did twice if u want to change the gearing you could look at changing the diferential in it, iam sure it would be alot cheaper and easier then customizing a 6spd, or getting one custom built and modifying all the other crap, you will lose acceleration down low, and gain more top end speed, or at least lower RPMs at higher speeds if thats what you are looking for, hope this helps.
Excellent answer, even if a little hard to read. Thanks for the info!
Differential, eh? Hmmm....

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's either one or the other it seems:

a) Better acceleration and lower top end
or
b) Lower acceleration and higher top end

On second thought screw it. I bought a Dodge, not a Honda. :lol:
I'm not Dr. Evil, I don't need an 8 beeeellion RPM rev limit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.