Dodge SRT Forum banner
541 - 560 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I never had the black gunk and I've been running E85 longer than almost everybody here. It's all about the materials in the car and the fuel supplier. These cars are essentially ready for E85 from the factory (except for the fuel senders in some model years), so it's not the car, it's where you get your fuel.

The only problem I have with your theory is that a buddy of mine that has been running E85 for years as well on his DSM (built fuel system with all E85 compatible lines etc) has never had the gunk buildup either. He fills at the same stations as I did being that we live in the same area. So that would indicate to me that it's actually not dirty fuel but rather something in my fuel system degrading. Although I also have never had any fuel system failures and my Wally 255 has been going strong for years. I guess time will tell after filling at the new stations around here...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
343 Posts
Has anyone on here had engine failure or other catastrophic failures caused by a "bad batch" of E85 at your local gas station? I'm just curious because I have a few people who are telling me that E85 is a bad idea.... Saying that no batch of E85 is the same and has a bad consistency. Especially being that the gas prices are low right now which in turn is causing people to buy regular gas instead of E85. This, in turn, is allowing the E85 to "sit" in gas station tanks and "go bad". I am from Michigan if that matters. The closest gas station with E85 from my house is about 10 miles away, so I want to be certain that converting to E is a good idea or not...... I don't want my engine to shit out on me from bad fuel.....:stab:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Has anyone on here had engine failure or other catastrophic failures caused by a "bad batch" of E85 at your local gas station? I'm just curious because I have a few people who are telling me that E85 is a bad idea.... Saying that no batch of E85 is the same and has a bad consistency. Especially being that the gas prices are low right now which in turn is causing people to buy regular gas instead of E85. This, in turn, is allowing the E85 to "sit" in gas station tanks and "go bad". I am from Michigan if that matters. The closest gas station with E85 from my house is about 10 miles away, so I want to be certain that converting to E is a good idea or not...... I don't want my engine to shit out on me from bad fuel.....:stab:
Losers who don't use E85 want you to be slow like them. It's bullcrap. There is no better street fuel than E85 for forced induction. Don't tune your car on the edge and it will be fine.

Reactions: 2K3PL24

·
Registered
343 Posts
Losers who don't use E85 want you to be slow like them. It's bullcrap. There is no better street fuel than E85 for forced induction. Don't tune your car on the edge and it will be fine.
Well..... That answers my question.:shift: E85 here I come!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
You can buy an ethanol content tester pretty cheap. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fuel-36-E85-E-85-Sample/dp/B007ZJ749O[/ame]. Or, you could get one of these if you want to know without messing around with the fuel: Zeitronix ECA : SEMA Award Winning Ethanol Content Analyzer and Flex Fuel Sensor for E-85 and E-85/gasoline Blends

·
Registered
343 Posts
^^^^That is the pump I am going with so I'd be interested in some feedback as well. :thumbsup: I've heard good things from a buddy of mine who is running it on his 3000GT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
quick ? guys. Up here in Canada we cannot get e85 at the pump... so i went and ordered 2 drugs of e98. Ive done the formula (online) that mixing 5gal to my full tank of 94 gives me e46 ISH.

Now car is an ANIMAL compared to 94 and meth. thing is, my A/F gauge is showing 12.8 a/f and it knocks if i run it that lean.. (before adding the cor a/f was 11.8)

I know some of you are going to say just run e85, but since its a pain in the ass for me to order drums of e98, ill be sticking to e46. Made me add 7 deg of timing on my timing sensitive motor (8.8 to 1 which i regret now). I have a FULLY built motor and head... just looking for some tips and advice.

Car fries 3rd now with 20psi and 24 deg of timing

Thanks

QUick mods:

Race ported head (plus 1) Intake is heavily ported (cut open and ported)
Stage 2 cams
Twin scroll S256
walbro 400
dusters inj and tune (not happy, looking for a new tuner)

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's tons of threads & good info on all the awesomness of e85. I'm a bit suprised at how little info there is on the downsides of using it around here. I figured I'd start this thread to highlight the things people NEED to know when trying to decide if this is the route for you.

By no means is this a "Ethanol Haters" thread. Just trying to have that balance of information so people can make informed decisions.

PRO's of e85
  • Has an octane rating close to that of 106 octane race gas. This will allow you to run leaner A/R's, More timing, & suppress knock.
  • Cost significantly less than race gas ($2.30-ish for e85 vs $6.60-ish for 110 octane). Even though you'll have to fill up more often, it still comes out cheaper.
  • Is more readily available at the pump than race gas.
  • Cleaner emission for you hippies.

CON's of using E85
  • Will require additional fuel modifications to support the additional 30% extra volume needed.
  • Will corrode the fuel level sender & cause it to not read the amount of fuel in the tank.
  • Can cause deposits & other crud to become dis-lodged & clog fuel filters or injectors.
  • Contaminates your oil in a way that requires more frequent oil changes.
  • Will gum up your intake valves with a sticky residue.
  • e85 is very dry & over time can dryout rubber seals, hoses & o-rings.
  • Poor gas millage (approx 20 mpg vs about 28-30 mpg normally).
  • Issues with cold starts below 40 degree's. Sometimes requires 2-3 cranks of the motor to fire up.

If I'm missing something or am incorrect, just let me know & I'll add/ edit this list.

Now please discuss :hi:
I ran e85 for 3 years straight in a 2012 jeep grand cherokee from 2017-2019 I ended up replacing both primary sns secondary fuel pumps, an 02 Sensor and both catalytic converters due to many engiene light codes. I run super 91 -93 octain only now and no more problems. What a disaster e85 is.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I've run E85 since 2008 in an SRT-4. I have never lost a fuel level sensor, I've never gummed up an injector, I've never had gummy deposits of any kind. Now, that being said, my fuel systems have been mostly E85 compatible. I have removed all rubber or non E85 safe materials from the fuel system and have the correct type of pump and injectors along with a tune.

Things I have found out about using E85 over the years: The only type of fuel lines that work and never leak are steel or PTFE. The little rubber bumper on the bottom of the canister in the tank needs to come out because it dissolves in E85. Many fuel pumps fail in E85, make sure the one you are buying is for E85. Make sure all your o-rings are E85 safe as well. If you live where it is humid and/or rains alot, don't store your car for long periods with E85 in it and keep tank full as much as possible. If it gets really cold in the winter where you are, switch to regular 91/93 until the weather warms up (using appropriate tune of course). An occasional tank of 91/93 is good to flush out anything that could be building up because of your fuel system and its reaction to E85 (I've never done this but heard that it works for people). Change oil a little more often. I do 3k miles because I'm a crazy old man and that's what I've always done. If you are unlucky and lose your fuel sender, there are some guys that make an E85 safe version.

Enjoy not being slow!

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
178 Posts
I’ll chime in here.

I have a stock Srt4 with minor bolt ons, and tune for E85. Still on the stock pump and even fuel lines. My fuel level sender is still working because 1) I keep the tank full as much as possible as mentioned above. 2) I use Liquid Power Top Lube from Summit racing, to keep my fuel system lubricated without the ethanol stripping the lubrication your fuel system needs.

541 - 560 of 560 Posts