Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how can I tell that my oil pump isnt working right i previously blew
my motor and i have yet to say what caused it. but i came to conclusion that maybe it might be the oil pump
:stab: please help me thanks
:zzzz:

·
Registered
923 Posts
How are the bearings? If they're all messed up then chances are you had a oil problem (can be other issues as well). Any large chunks in the oil pan?

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Did you clean the pump or replace with new? And by cleaning i mean going as far as taking the pressure bypass in the pump apart too.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
To answer the question, if the oil pump went "bad" they usually have a tendency to fail catastrophically with the powder metal gears (rotors) shattering. This is usually more common on heavily modified cars running smaller or mid-sized turbochargers like a Mopar Stage 3 or nitrous oxide where the boost, power, and therefore revs come on fast and hard and cause the pump to cavitate. If the internal gears didn't break there's a procedure in the factory service manual to verify clearances to see if the rotors (gears) are within tolerance but even worn they shouldn't be enough to cause the engine to be starved for oil if you weren't always seeing the oil pressure light coming on. You'd also want to check the internal oil pump bypass assembly but that doesn't seem to be a big failure point and when modifying the oiling system is best left stock.

If the motor being bad means that the main and rod bearings are all wiped out then you may very well have an oil related problem but it might or might not be related to the pump. A bad oil filter, other debris in the oil passages, another internal or external leak and low oil, poor drain-back from the head causing starvation (not likely on the 2.4L), too much knock leading to a bearing wearing down in turn putting metal shavings into the oil causing other bearings to go out, etc. Many different possibilities. If you've got a bad engine it isn't always easy to identify a root cause, even it seems apparent, and often requires a little mechanical forensic analysis.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
To answer the question, if the oil pump went "bad" they usually have a tendency to fail catastrophically with the powder metal gears (rotors) shattering. This is usually more common on heavily modified cars running smaller or mid-sized turbochargers like a Mopar Stage 3 or nitrous oxide where the boost, power, and therefore revs come on fast and hard and cause the pump to cavitate. If the internal gears didn't break there's a procedure in the factory service manual to verify clearances to see if the rotors (gears) are within tolerance but even worn they shouldn't be enough to cause the engine to be starved for oil if you weren't always seeing the oil pressure light coming on. You'd also want to check the internal oil pump bypass assembly but that doesn't seem to be a big failure point and when modifying the oiling system is best left stock.

If the motor being bad means that the main and rod bearings are all wiped out then you may very well have an oil related problem but it might or might not be related to the pump. A bad oil filter, other debris in the oil passages, another internal or external leak and low oil, poor drain-back from the head causing starvation (not likely on the 2.4L), too much knock leading to a bearing wearing down in turn putting metal shavings into the oil causing other bearings to go out, etc. Many different possibilities. If you've got a bad engine it isn't always easy to identify a root cause, even it seems apparent, and often requires a little mechanical forensic analysis.
True Dat!! I am on my 4th rebuild after catastrophic failure and other than the first one I have no idea what caused the others.:crying2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks allot gentalmen I found out it was the oil pump bearing was loose as well and dried up. I just finished my rebuild now.
ported heads and polished. branks new short block and everything stock pretty much

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
thanks allot gentalmen I found out it was the oil pump bearing was loose as well and dried up. I just finished my rebuild now.
ported heads and polished. branks new short block and everything stock pretty much
Oil pump bearing? There are the gears and the internal pressure regulator/bypass but i don't recall there being a bearing.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Im pretty sure he meant gears. And Yes, when they are loosie Lucy, they are worn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts