Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in the process of developing my hard pipe kit, I noticed about 1 teaspoon worth of oil in the cold side of the intercooler plumbing that leads to the throttle body. I quickly checked the hot side to see if it was wet, cause if it was I would have really been pissed, means turbos seals are going. ANyways it was dry which is good.

Soooo, it looks like its time for a catch can! I should have it on tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hmmmm

I have some oil running down the OUTSIDE of that tube. I will see if its inside when my ATP pipe gets here. If its only on the outside, its time for a trip to the dealer to find the leak. :? If its is from the inside like yours, what causes this? And what is the fix?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil is caused by the exccesive pressure inside the engine due to the turbo. So oil tends to come out the breathers and PCV and into the intake system. I did not expect that much oil to enter the system. I will be installing a catch can to the system so I dont get all of that oil in the intake track.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really, its burned up during the combustion process. What it does do is though is line the intake manifold with oil residue which will cause small particles that the intake does not filter to accumulate.

I should have my catch can today, but I am not sure where I will be installing it at.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TTigger said:
Catch can will have to withstand boost as well as vacuum ???
Not much room to mount many goodies in these engine bays !!!
Not really an issue. We use it on supras all day long. Its pretty large in size so the boost does not really cause the oil to feed back through into the sytem.

Yeah there is not to much room. I might mount it under the stock airbox.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes its installed. Ill get up some pics soon.

I installed it this morning and now you can see alot of oil in the inlet of the tygon hose and none in the return. It really does a good job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
Exhaust Depot
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing