Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
hemidakota said:
Ok..where is the oil filter located on the engine and oil drain plug?
So much for the owner's manual.
I dont' have one yet, however, there are detailed pics in the Winter 2003 MOPAR Now Mag, pages 38-39. It shows the oil filter and drain plug just off center of the engine on the bottom and towards the fire wall. Oil filter is mounted horizontally and attached to an oil cooler. The drain plug is facing away from the front of the car and next to the filter. I hope this helps and is not confusing.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found it.

I had to jack under the passenger front tire area and in the middle is the wonderful oil filter and beside that the drain plug.

The K&N 1002 Oil Filter will still work but I am looking for another one that is longer but same width. The Neon HP1002 is less than 3/4 inch smaller in length but it will make no difference due to the volume the oil filter can clean over sny oem version.

In would caution anyone when you want to remove the oil filter, use a oil filter clamp jaw for the first time. The factory tightens the filter so tight that a standard slip on will not work. LOL

It said five quarts in the owner manual but I would add some info, when using a K&N oil filter, it will take at least a 1/2 quart more (due to the the element inside satuation) when running the engine for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
My wife had an car with a side-ways filter: filled it 3/4 then installed, let the oil drip, it's better off than installing an empty filter.
Removal: if you don't have the jaws and just wet a shop rag then put it in the ring whole or wrap the filter and remove filter.

-2 cents of tricks

-James

·
Registered
161 Posts
hemidakota said:
Found it.

I had to jack under the passenger front tire area and in the middle is the wonderful oil filter and beside that the drain plug.

The K&N 1002 Oil Filter will still work but I am looking for another one that is longer but same width. The Neon HP1002 is less than 3/4 inch smaller in length but it will make no difference due to the volume the oil filter can clean over sny oem version.

In would caution anyone when you want to remove the oil filter, use a oil filter clamp jaw for the first time. The factory tightens the filter so tight that a standard slip on will not work. LOL

It said five quarts in the owner manual but I would add some info, when using a K&N oil filter, it will take at least a 1/2 quart more (due to the the element inside satuation) when running the engine for a couple minutes.
Good Deal!! I'll keep that in mind when mine is due for a change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Pinche Gringo
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing