Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the oil for the second time last night, and I guess I tightened the drain plug too hard the first time. It was a bitch getting off last night, and I ended up stripping the head. So I need to find a replacement plug, and the dealer's parts department wasn't too helpful-- just saying they don't have one, they're different from the the regular Neon drain plugs, and they don't know where to get one.

Anybody know if the SRT-4's drain plug is truly different from the regular Neons? Or know where I could get one quick?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some web research indicates that the SRT-4 uses the same oil pan as the Turbo PT Cruiser. I found a Chrylser dealer with the plug for that car in stock so I'm going to get that now.

·
Premium Member
6,649 Posts
Drain plug

If I remember correctly its a 13mm head so I'd advise anyone who doesn't have one to get a 13mm 6 point box end wrench. Its hard to get a socket on the bolt since the base to the oil filter cooler is so close. A six point box end will give you much more torque on the plug with less chance of stripping it. A $5.00 tool is much less expensive than buying a new plug every other oil change. And check to make sure it 13mm first cause I'm getting old and can't remember for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There's a REALLY nice titanium one at Deyeme Racing:

http://www.deyemeracing.com/images/oilplug-2.gif

It's $12, but I guarantee you won't strip it. <Course you might strip the crap out of the oil pan itself!>

-Sam :wink:

PS. The hole through the head is to wire it to the pan so you don't lose it!

·
Banned
72 Posts
Hey, thanks, I was going to mention that. Yes, the drain plug is pricey, but it IS genuine titanium, and comes with a hole for safety wire, and plastic washer/gasket, so you can tighten it easily without overtightening it. The plug is also mostly hollow to remove weight, and looks awesome. You can run safety wire thru the hole in the drain plug made for that purpose, and tighen the other end of the wire down with one of the oil pan bolts. Works well, and you won't lose the bolt at the track or the local quick lube.

·
Premium Member
6,649 Posts
Wire hole.

:? Seeing as how you would have to cut the safety wire or twist it about 10-15 times to get the plug out seems like you could still lose it. On the other hand a safety wired plug done correctly will never get lose. Just make sure you safety in the correct direction. Ask Hector I think hes an aviation mechanic too. On a side note, This plug and filter setup is one of the best I have ever seen. You don't even have to move your oil bucket and can drain both at the same time. :lol:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DM Racing said:
Hey, thanks, I was going to mention that. Yes, the drain plug is pricey, but it IS genuine titanium, and comes with a hole for safety wire, and plastic washer/gasket, so you can tighten it easily without overtightening it. The plug is also mostly hollow to remove weight, and looks awesome. You can run safety wire thru the hole in the drain plug made for that purpose, and tighen the other end of the wire down with one of the oil pan bolts. Works well, and you won't lose the bolt at the track or the local quick lube.
Travis, do you know that it will fit the SRT-4? Are there different sizes?

Dan

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
http://www.infodotinc.com/air/2-30.htm

Link kinda explains safety wire. Shows examples of how to wire. Main point is to pull the wire to keep the bolt from backing out. This stuff is not really to keep you from losing it, just to ensure it can't back out. You can get a spiffy tool to twist the wire for you, but I prefer to do it by hand. Navy even specs how many twists per inch :) Anyone wants more info, feel free to PM me, or any of our aviation folks. If you work on aircraft, you know this stuff.

·
Banned
72 Posts
drolander said:
Travis, do you know that it will fit the SRT-4? Are there different sizes?

Dan
Unless they've found a reason to change the thread, it should fit. That plug fits almost every modern Chrysler and Mitsubishi made. If you buy one (we do have them in stock) and for some reason it doesn't fit, you can return it for a full refund.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
You should test the plug out Dro. That way if it works or doesn't work, atleast it will be informative to Travis as well as everyone else on the threads. What can you lose besides a day or 2 more w/o ur SRT? He's offering a full refund on it if it doesn't fit :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Yeah, you can be the guinea pig. :lol: If it works for you, then the option is there when anyone else needs one.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm already the guinea pig for the mounts, I might as well be for the plug too. Problem is, I already got a replacement plug, but I can try the Titanium plug when I change oil next.

Damn Grunge, I sure have a hard time concentrating when I see your posts. Those pics are fine. :wink:

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
did i hear group buy? Travis :roll:

BTW i second Dro :roll: :oops: :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
DM Racing
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing