Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car has been running like crap lately. It was misfiring hard under acceleration and spitting white smoke. I changed out the valve cover gasket and tube seals along with the spark plugs (Champion Iridium). When I fired the car back up I looked back to check for smoke and saw oil being sprayed from the exhaust. So I asked my neighbor who is a mechanic and previous owner of a turbo vehicle and he told me to pull the cold side pipe off to see if there is oil in it. There was, a lot of it. There was also oil in the hot side pipe. So we pulled the turbo off and the interior of the housing was not soaked in oil the way he was expecting it to be (like he has seen in the past). There was some oil in it though which made him think that it is indeed the turbo that has gone bad. He wanted me to get on the forum and ask if anyone knew of another way oil could be getting in the pipes and motor. The only other thing he suggested it could be was the head gasket. Any thoughts guys? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Check compression. (Blow by)
Check shaft play on turbo. (Leaking oil seal)
Check oil level on dipstick. (Too much, or it may be low)
Check PCV valve. (Can allow more oil vapor out than normal if its broken)
Get a check valve. (Will prevent hot air from charging case)
Get a catch can (Maybe, probably a good idea, though I don't have one)
Get rid of those iridium and get copper core NGK-4306 plugs. (Trust me)

Clean everything well. Vaporized oil will accumulate and lower your overall octane.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My neighbor is bringing what he needs to do a compression check home from work tomorrow. And there is very slight shaft play on the turbo (no more than one degree). Will get back to you on the rest tomorrow. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.