Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I heard it was good to change it early to clear out any metal filings that have settled. Should I wait until 1000 miles to get the oil changed or is 500 okay? Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My motorcycle adheres to more strict break-in procedures than a car so I don't know if it applies or not, but I did change the oil in it after 500 miles.

I think its a great idea to do it earlier as most of the metal shavings are going to come from the first few miles. I personally will change my SRT's oil after 500 miles, then at 1,000 as an extra precaution since its turbocharged. I can't say for sure if this is the best way or not.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
do it now Grunge u'll be all set then i'd suggest another change at 1000-1500 then again at 3000. It was pretty funny, Joey in the lube are for Jerry Ulm knows me by first name..lol..driving 30 miles one way to work they'd see me once every two weeks :shock: . Anyhow they knew how particular i am about oil changes id roll in there with the exact milage for LOF exactly ever 3k miles :roll: :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Grunge said:
A while back I heard it was good to change it early to clear out any metal filings that have settled. Should I wait until 1000 miles to get the oil changed or is 500 okay? Thanks.
We did an analysis on the first Hemi truck after 500 miles (switching out to Mobil 1 oil). What we found after 500 miles was absoutley almost zero containments from the internals. So, it didn't warrant any oil change until 1500 or 3000 miles depending on driving habits.

Whoa...something different at Chrysler from ten years ago? No metal bits in the oil pan? LOL

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it sounds like from the responses, it won't hurt to do it now, but waiting a few more hundred miles should take out more contaminants. I might just let it get to 700 before the first one.

·
Registered
295 Posts
nonono!!!

give the additives time to work !! dude trust me wait until 1500miles @ the least. you do not need to change it @ 500 miles that is insane... if you like 2 waste cash then do it, but in the long run the friction is better for your car since NOW it is brand new or with 700 miles!! I changed my oil @ 1,500 miles

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
back off Pit this for us single guys :roll: :wink: :lol: 8)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Single guys

Just cause i'm on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu ;)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Single guys

ebbtide said:
You're on a diet? Does that mean you have given up women? :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, wait you didn't say Hunger Strike. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Re: Single guys

Grunge said:
ebbtide said:
You're on a diet? Does that mean you have given up women? :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, wait you didn't say Hunger Strike. :lol: :lol:
I eat well enough, I'm just not allowed to eat everything I see :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
mark2249
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing