Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling my hair out trying to fix this, as it is something new. I was sitting at a light and the car started to stumble a bit, totally normal driving. Light turns green and the car is trying to stall out completely, look down and my AFR's are way over 10.0, barely make it through the light and into a parking lot before it dies. Get out and look everything over, even checked the gas tank lines for a leak, ignition is all looking ok, get in and start it up. Barely ran, stumbling way rich most of the time with an ocassional lean spike. SHut it off and get out and look some more preparing to call a flatbed........Gave it a few a minutes and started it up, purred like it was new, drove it 15 miles home no problems at all. Few days later on the way home it does this again, so I thought might be the Demon Coil on it's way out and throw the stocker coil and wires back on, new plugs just to be safe. Still does it, but only after the car has run for about a total of 15 minutes. Today I replaced the 02 sensor, $110 later......still does it. And the techs at work looked at my old 02 and said it looked like it was running lean.....this car never runs lean, EVER!! My idle is 14.3-14.5, just look at the gas and it goes 12.3, floor it it goes to 10.8. Why would my 02 look like i was burning lean? I mean funnels of black smoke as I gas it even sitting still!! But anyways it still runs like crap after it has run some, I even shook the Map sensor on the Dtec as that did this to me when i first got it a year ago. I am baffled......any ideas? TPS and map are both less than 6 months old too!!! Even cleaned the IAC and did a sea-foam treatment bout a month ago..........:crying:

When it really acts up i can barely keep it running, it just floods the car with fuel, and goes lean on ocassion to clear things out, seems like the CPU has gone into a fit of sorts till the car cools down, then it is fine again, all the while not tripping any codes at all!!:flame:

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I had a similar problem It ended up being the buffer board for the dtec. Could very well be tps related though

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that is what i was thinking as well, but I remember when I called Turbo-Xs about it last time he said the way to check that is to lightly tap or shake the lil box it is in and see if it changes the way the car runs, this time it didn't matter. So out of curiousity today I unplugged the TPS and it settled in to like a solid 11.7-11.8 idle and held it, minimal variation, plugged it back in and it would go from 11.6 to 17.4 and every where else, seemed to stay mostly in the over rich. Tomorrow I am putting another new TPS in, fourth one since I have owned this car!! I am starting to wonder if my alcohol injection is messing with these sensors, my car seems to eat them far too often? Third map, Fourth TPS, third O2, like the fifth or sixth IAT, second IAC......I am about censored out on this!!! LOL!!:rofl:

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
endlessheart666 said:
Mine did that and it ended up being the connectors on the dtec brain vibrating around causing it to get a bad signal.
I haven't checked the actual brain but now I will, never thought to go that far. Had to get a ride home tonight, noticed all of a sudden it was at 18 AFR more than anything, very odd, one day it is totally rich and the next almost full lean so I parked it at the shop, new TPS should be in in the morning.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Check your wiring. Anything that can relate to your problem. Wires to the coil pack, tps wiring, etc,. No codes? What mods do you have? By way over 10.0 you meant way under right? Reset the ecu see what that does and how many miles you can get until it happens again Are you sure you map sensor is good? Could be lots of things I am just suprised this problem doesn't have a code.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
madwax said:
endlessheart666 said:
Mine did that and it ended up being the connectors on the dtec brain vibrating around causing it to get a bad signal.
I haven't checked the actual brain but now I will, never thought to go that far. Had to get a ride home tonight, noticed all of a sudden it was at 18 AFR more than anything, very odd, one day it is totally rich and the next almost full lean so I parked it at the shop, new TPS should be in in the morning.
fuel filter/pump??? I don't think it would be the tps maybe the wiring but not the actual sensor but would be nice to do while you are at it I guess.

If you need more help let me know.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
projectNEON said:
Check your wiring. Anything that can relate to your problem. Wires to the coil pack, tps wiring, etc,. No codes? What mods do you have? By way over 10.0 you meant way under right? Reset the ecu see what that does and how many miles you can get until it happens again Are you sure you map sensor is good? Could be lots of things I am just suprised this problem doesn't have a code.
it would be easier to list the mods I do not have instead of the mods I do have, LOL! Everything cept the rods and pistons has been replaced so far.

I have been over the wiring, wish it was that simple and I did the TPS wire fix last year, so I know it isn't that. As for the ignition if you had read all of post one you would have seen it is all replaced, even the plugs. Way over does mean numerically under, we are talking 9.0 afr, my guage stops there. As for mileage after resetting the CPU how does the time it takes to start the car sound? i have the stock map, S2 and aftermarket 3 bar, I doubt all 3 are bad yet as I posted above all 3 have been put in to verify it is not that. Also it varies between flood the car, no gas at all, and running fine, until last night then it just plain wouldn't run until I disconnected the TPS, sounds pretty narrowed down now I think.

Thanks for trying though.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Actaully how is your fuel pump just out of curiousity

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuel pump seems fine, walboro 255 unit. Even when it went to giving no fuel at all pump and PSI at the regulator were fine. I doubt it is that, even if the pump was going it does not control the flow of the injectors causing them to full out flood the car, Even with my tune there is no way the car should ever go beyond 11.0 AFR, but to max out at 9.0 to the point of stalling the car with gas points to CPU/signal problem. Then the next day it won't give it any gas at all, lol!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
madwax said:
Fuel pump seems fine, walboro 255 unit. Even when it went to giving no fuel at all pump and PSI at the regulator were fine. I doubt it is that, even if the pump was going it does not control the flow of the injectors causing them to full out flood the car, Even with my tune there is no way the car should ever go beyond 11.0 AFR, but to max out at 9.0 to the point of stalling the car with gas points to CPU/signal problem. Then the next day it won't give it any gas at all, lol!
don't know what else to say. Have to tried disconnecting the DTEC yet and see if that helps?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
projectNEON said:
madwax said:
don't know what else to say. Have to tried disconnecting the DTEC yet and see if that helps?
If I disconnect the Dtec with the 750 DeatschWerks injectors I have in there it would not even start having the CPU try to start it like they were stock. tried that once before and it was not good, lol! lots of nasty black smoke and fouled plugs!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
madwax said:
projectNEON said:
madwax said:
If I disconnect the Dtec with the 750 DeatschWerks injectors I have in there it would not even start having the CPU try to start it like they were stock. tried that once before and it was not good, lol! lots of nasty black smoke and fouled plugs!!
I meant like kinda back to stock. Like as if you where trying to test the DTEC. Sorry I am not used to the dtec but when I was having a similar type probelm with my SAFC 2 it turned out it was the tuning device. But I never wouldve known unless I took it off since all my wiring was good, fuel is in check, etc. Yea I know how it feels to waste a new set of plgus haha. I used to have rc 650's with a return line so pretty much was 750's.

If it's not that damn I would like to know as well good learning experience.

wait a sec. how long have you been running that set up? anything done recently I mean before that problem.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had this setup for close to 2 years. I did think of switching it back to stock, or as close as I could go but I figured poppin in a new TPS is far easier than re-wiring where the Dtec connects to the harness and then messing with the injectors and such. If after I put the new TPS in it still does it I might hitch up my old SAFC-2 and see how that goes, never had a problem with that unit other than a stumble I could never get rid of, lol, piggybacks......

I have not fully ruled out the Dtec, but seeing the car runs fine although very rich at idle with the TPS disconnected (touch the gas it dies immediately afte r shooting to 9.0afr), then I plug it in it starts going way lean to stall rich at idle I am sure it is that. We will see in a few hours, OMW in now to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Just ouf of curiousity. Have you tried switching the injectors back to the stock one to see if it does the same? I mean, it could be an injector stuck open or halfway open.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the lower the number the richer you're running? I always thought 10.0 was Lean, 16.0 was rich. man .. i'm fucking stupid

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lil Diesel said:
the lower the number the richer you're running? I always thought 10.0 was Lean, 16.0 was rich. man .. i'm fucking stupid
LOL! Easy mistake. I have forgotten which part is which but like a 12.5 which is considered border line (some call it perfect for a NA car but I like to see 11.7 on my big turbo) under full throttle/boost is 12.5 parts air to 1 part fuel, so like a 9.9 is much less air to the fuel causing it to be rich. 14.7-9 is perfect at idle and under light driving loads.

·
Registered
386 Posts
k.. normal driving I'm at 14.6-14.8 it changes sometimes.
full boost I'm at 11.6.. but sometimes I fall to 11.1 or even 10.9. when I let off the gas and let the car slow down with the RPM's, it pops like any normal/arrogant SRT4, but it shoots to 16.0. Normal?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EklipzGSXkid said:
Did you ever fix your problem?
Sort of, I guess you could say I adapted to it for now, I have no way of verifying it but I am pretty sure I have a slow injector, meaning something inside is causing a slow response, at the time it was the worst I think it was actually holding the injector open. I need to send these out to get them cleaned/serviced but till I get the money for new ones to run while that is happening I have to settle with dumping lots of injector cleaners in it, seems to help a bit for a while at least then it gets bad again. I use one can of BG injector cleaner like every 3 tanks of gas, seems to be OK for now. Wish I still had the stock injectors or stage 2 ones.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts