Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car has TCE Road Race Kit with ATE Super Blue fluid. I have been running it for well over a year with no problems, except I had a defective brake hard line about a week after putting the kit on which allowed fluid to leak out from the master cylinder. It was replaced and everything had been fine since.

About two weeks ago I am having some routine maintenance done by my mechanic and had him bleed the brakes. After bleeding them the brakes were more soft than ever, so we did it again and they were better. Then on my way home I start getting a soft pedal with increased travel, but it didn't feel the same as when my hard line went bad and fluid was actually leaking, because I still had a decent amount of braking power, but the pedal was moving towards the floor. Also, the engine would surge slightly. Vacuum lines were checked and everything looked good. To me, and my mechanic, it felt like I was experiencing bleed-by in the master cylinder. So, he replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes about six times, even making sure that we had the most recent bleeding update from Dodge for the ABS pump. The pedal was good for about one braking event and again same symptoms (soft pedal, lots of travel, surging engine), although it is slightly better than it was with the old master cylinder. Also, another interesting thing; on the driver's side front disc, instead of the entire area where the pad contacts the rotor being clean and silver, only about 75% of the area is silver. The rest is still slightly rusted from my last car wash. I had my wife hit the brakes and I could see the pad moving in fully, but who knows what happens at speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my mechanic and I are a bit befuddled as to the problem we are experiencing.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I'd say you still got some air trapped in the system somewhere...is he pressure bleeding the system??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has been both manually bled and pressure bled. When cycling the ABS pump various versions of the software have been used, including the newest. I did find the reservoir low right after posting this the other day; however, I can't find a leak anywhere and filling it helped pedal feel somewhat. It is also possible that my mechanic just forgot to top off the reservoir since we were in a hurry to get it done last week.

I do believe that at least part of the problem has to do with my pad not sitting correctly in the caliper. I think that something was not installed correctly when it was removed a last week to fix a broken bleeder nipple. My mechanic is supposed to be tearing it down today and checking to make sure everything is assembled and seated properly. We will see what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts