Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i'm driving just normal, went did some errands and go home pulling in the driveway really slow and pull up to the mail box outside the pad and the car would not come out of 1st gear with the clutch pedal fully depressed and car would not stop :eeeek: so i step on the brakes and stall the motor before i hit a tree :lol: with the motor off, i was able to put it back in neutral and start up the car but it wont go into any gear when the motor is running but when i turn the motor off it goes in all the gears no problem..

so anyway, is it my tranny or just the clutch or clutch slave? what do you guys think :grimrippe

thanks...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sounds like the slave. Just replaced one on my girlfriends beater the other day. No problemo.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
:lol: , does your shifter move side to side at all? From the couple of times I've had to warranty shift selectors it could be that. Similar circumstances too.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the fork inside the tranny? what exactly does it do? can it be fix without pulling the tranny?

the pressure on the clutch pedal seems normal not mushy or anything. i checked the clutch fluid level as well and all is good :confused:

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
red said:
:lol: , does your shifter move side to side at all? From the couple of times I've had to warranty shift selectors it could be that. Similar circumstances too.
you mean the neutral gate? it does when in neutral but not when it's in gear.. i also have an sts so it hardly moves anywhere to start with.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
:lol: , well when I broke the shift selector tab off, I could move the shifter forward into where 3rd would be. It wouldn't move left or right at all and it wouldn't go into where 4th is supposed to be. If you can move yours around and the cables ends are atached.... Most likely a slave

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm, tell tale signs i noticed started about 2 months ago, sometimes i couldn't find first gear instead it would go into 3rd :confused: or from 3rd gear, i couldn't easily downshift to 2nd :( then just couple days ago at a light in first gear with my foot all the way down the clutch pedal i could feel the clutch very slightly catching kinda budging the car forward very softly.. those symptoms were intermittent, today without any warning it almost ran me into a tree :(

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
check to see if your leaking any clutch fluid under the dash from the clutch master cylidner...exactly what your discribing happened to me....i had to limp my car home ...shut it off at lights..and start it with the car in 1st gear...and then rev match shifting all the way.....with the car off i could go though gears fine...but once the car was on....clutch all the way down just wouldnt go in gear....then i noticed a stain to the left of the clutch pedal....looked under there and sure enough....fulid from the master clyinder

alex

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well just talked to adam on the phone and he's almost certain it is the clutch.. he said it most likely welded itself to the flywheel.. weird because i wasn't driving it hard at all when it broke :confused:

before i pull my tranny and do all this work, can anyone tell me for sure it is not just the clutch slave? once again the fluid level is good, pressure on clutch pedal seems normal and it doesn't stick to the floor or anything so i think it's not the slave.. but just want to hear more opinions or maybe experiences before i pull the tranny for nothing :lol: thanks to all who responded :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
well when mine firsted started to lock me out of gear the pedal felt fine and fluid was good...then about 3 hours later...fluid was completely gone and pedal felt like shit...so if your fluid and pedal are good the i'd say its not that

good luck,
alex

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
150 views and 13 responses, half of them were mine :( come on guys!!! help a brotha out :D

:bump: for more opinions

btw, adam said i should try to drive the car to the shop by shift/matching the rpms and i should be able to get it into gear without the clutch :eeeek: i might try this but i have to do it at night with zero traffic or i'm screwed...

oh i forgot to ask him where the new shop is, can someone give me directions? thanks..

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
take me to dinner to biatch

alex

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If you have a warrenty just take it to the dealership and call it a day. Depending on where you live I have some connections with service warrentes. PM me and I'll fill you in..

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
lift the car up pop off the access hole panel next to the slave (lil plastic cover) have someone push on clutch pedal and watch to see if the slave moves in and out.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
04TurboSRT said:
so i'm driving just normal, went did some errands and go home pulling in the driveway really slow and pull up to the mail box outside the pad and the car would not come out of 1st gear with the clutch pedal fully depressed and car would not stop :eeeek: so i step on the brakes and stall the motor before i hit a tree :lol: with the motor off, i was able to put it back in neutral and start up the car but it wont go into any gear when the motor is running but when i turn the motor off it goes in all the gears no problem..

so anyway, is it my tranny or just the clutch or clutch slave? what do you guys think :grimrippe

thanks...
hum....i would have said throw out bearing, but if that went bad, it wouldnt shift into any gear at all....

on second thought....its def clutch related if it DOES NOT engage with the motor on and engages with the motor off. I dont know what part of the clutch system, but its clutch related.....it wouldnt be your "tranny" if you can still shift into all gears.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update!!!

it's not the tranny (thank GOD) i was able to start it up per adam's instructions= starting the car while already in 1st gear holding the clutch down and the car jerked forward as it fired up :) then i drove it around the block shift 1-2nd at 15mph, 2-3rd at 25mph, 3-4th at 35mph then 5th at 45 mph and the freakin thing goes right in without using the clutch, no problem :clap:

so i'm driving it up to his shop tonight just waiting for traffic to die down, my buddy is going to follw me in his s/c'd stang :D... definitely the clutch btw, as it makes a noise now when i depress it. sounds like the throwout rod is trying to push the pressure plate open but instead i hear a metallic "chacka, chacka, chacka, clank" sound :lol:

wish me luck on the drive, ihope my clutch does not explode on the way up there :crying:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts