Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member, SRT of the Month
Joined
·
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have asked this before but i just installed my intercooler kit and was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to use this for best performance..... thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
what kind of results did/do you see with this setup added on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
d_fl8ted1 said:
explain why you think the kits are bad....
well, it depends on which kit you get and what you have in the bottle, if you use nitrous oxide in the bottles to cool your intercooler, you seem to gain alot of power, the website claims 50HP, well there is no way you would gain 50HP from cooling your intake charge, although there is proven dynos that you get 50HP from the nitrous oxide kit, so some people did a study on it and they found that the majority of the power came from nitrous oxide being sucked into the intake, and giving power that way, an unmesured ammount of nitrous oxide entering your car through the intake like that is very bad, kind of like a dry shot but unmesured. The problem with using Co2 is that it deplaces oxygen, although it does cool the intake they found on average that using Co2 gained between -5, and 10HP depending on the setup, i suppose it depends on where your intake is, and weather you have a CAI or not etc...then they tried isolating the intercooler they put a flate metal plate all around it so non of the nitrous or Co2 would get into the engine bay generally not a good setup for an intercooler because you want the airflow over it so this was stricktly for testing purposes, and they found average gains between 5-10HP for both, and that is with the intercooler basically encased in a metal cage so no air or NO2 or Co2 could flowpast it into the engine bay....then they made there own 20 dollar setup, with a waser fluid resoivoir and and using water, sprayed that over the intercooler (same as STI) and it gained between 2-5hp very little increase noticed, but its main purpose is to keep the intercooler from becoming heatsoaked which it does very well, espcially after hard runs, so that is my reasoning, if i find the website and study i will post the results or the link up here but i haven't had any luck finding it yet, i read this last year sometime so it was quite a while ago but it makes sence....any comments?
PS iam sure other ppl on srtforums here have read this article and study as most of us are automotive enthusiats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
JAYRT4 said:
well, it depends on which kit you get and what you have in the bottle, if you use nitrous oxide in the bottles to cool your intercooler, you seem to gain alot of power, the website claims 50HP, well there is no way you would gain 50HP from cooling your intake charge, although there is proven dynos that you get 50HP from the nitrous oxide kit, so some people did a study on it and they found that the majority of the power came from nitrous oxide being sucked into the intake, and giving power that way, an unmesured ammount of nitrous oxide entering your car through the intake like that is very bad, kind of like a dry shot but unmesured. The problem with using Co2 is that it deplaces oxygen, although it does cool the intake they found on average that using Co2 gained between -5, and 10HP depending on the setup, i suppose it depends on where your intake is, and weather you have a CAI or not etc...then they tried isolating the intercooler they put a flate metal plate all around it so non of the nitrous or Co2 would get into the engine bay generally not a good setup for an intercooler because you want the airflow over it so this was stricktly for testing purposes, and they found average gains between 5-10HP for both, and that is with the intercooler basically encased in a metal cage so no air or NO2 or Co2 could flowpast it into the engine bay....then they made there own 20 dollar setup, with a waser fluid resoivoir and and using water, sprayed that over the intercooler (same as STI) and it gained between 2-5hp very little increase noticed, but its main purpose is to keep the intercooler from becoming heatsoaked which it does very well, espcially after hard runs, so that is my reasoning, if i find the website and study i will post the results or the link up here but i haven't had any luck finding it yet, i read this last year sometime so it was quite a while ago but it makes sence....any comments?
PS iam sure other ppl on srtforums here have read this article and study as most of us are automotive enthusiats

I will only touch the idea that theres belief that the nitrous that is over a 20" to the side and aprox 20" in front of even the shortest of aftermarket Short ram airfilter kits, is so rediculous that its funny. Not to mention that at that distance theres only 2-4 small pin holes and the air turbulance that passes pass that orphice not only has to pass through the intercooler but also a radiator and around some sheet metal. Now at 40-100MPH, all I can do is laugh my ass off at the analigy.. Come even if 1/100 of that NO2 is actually finding its way through the maze and then in to the airfilter and in to a hot turbo and then in to the motor and making ANY added Power, it would have no cooling properties left and that makes a huge difference in its power making potential.

Believe what you will...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
robertk said:
I will only touch the idea that theres belief that the nitrous that is over a 20" to the side and aprox 20" in front of even the shortest of aftermarket Short ram airfilter kits, is so rediculous that its funny. Not to mention that at that distance theres only 2-4 small pin holes and the air turbulance that passes pass that orphice not only has to pass through the intercooler but also a radiator and around some sheet metal. Now at 40-100MPH, all I can do is laugh my ass off at the analigy.. Come even if 1/100 of that NO2 is actually finding its way through the maze and then in to the airfilter and in to a hot turbo and then in to the motor and making ANY added Power, it would have no cooling properties left and that makes a huge difference in its power making potential.

Believe what you will...
then why don't u explain why so many ppl using nitrous feel such a good increase in power, and why ppl using Co2 hardly feel any increase in power... or better yet go buy a kit, try using nitrous oxide in one bottle and then, try using Co2 and see the results for yourself...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
Well I do have a kit in my garage and after I build a firebird I have taken on (near first week of Nov) I will be installing it and will test the difference in power. I have a dyno at my disposal so I will get true apples to apples.

As to why one to the other.

Density of NO2 is Substantially higher, the solubility is slightly better, and the melting point (liquid to gas) between the two favors the NO2 and creates a slightly cooler charge. Then theres the whole CO2 when mixed with even small parts of water(condensation?)- "causes brittleness of the weld joint and such joints deteriorate over time due to the formation of carbonic acid".. Thats bad! lol

I mean come on do you Really think that even that small amount of gas could find its way past all the fins and rows then up around and in to the air filter in enough quanity to make a difference without any of its cooling properties?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
robertk said:
Well I do have a kit in my garage and after I build a firebird I have taken on (near first week of Nov) I will be installing it and will test the difference in power. I have a dyno at my disposal so I will get true apples to apples.

As to why one to the other.

Density of NO2 is Substantially higher, the solubility is slightly better, and the melting point (liquid to gas) between the two favors the NO2 and creates a slightly cooler charge. Then theres the whole CO2 when mixed with even small parts of water(condensation?)- "causes brittleness of the weld joint and such joints deteriorate over time due to the formation of carbonic acid".. Thats bad! lol

I mean come on do you Really think that even that small amount of gas could find its way past all the fins and rows then up around and in to the air filter in enough quanity to make a difference without any of its cooling properties?
cooling your air charge in no way would give u 50WHP, ppl dynoed that using nitrous oxide and it gave them like +51WHP, the same ppl used Co2 on the exact same car the exact same night and it dynoed at like +8WHP i believe it was a civic with a LS swap turboed. on the site where i got this info they displayed pics of there setup they showed all the dynos, they showed the EGTS, and A/F, so i belive it is legit, and cooling a charge to give approx 5-10WHP makes sence, 50WHP just from cooling your intake charge does not make sence, iam not trying to argue with anyone, iam sharing my knowledge from what i have read of other peoples research so stop getting all deffensive.
 

·
Premium Member, SRT of the Month
Joined
·
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he isnt getting defensive at all. i have the kit on my car and if you read around on here someone dynoed the kit and it only showed 38 wheel hp.... tha tisnt 50... the nitrous is so much colder then co2 that is how you get your difference in the performance part of it... there is no way that you will get enough nitrous through the intercooler to make a difference... i spray mine all the time... you can tell when the cylinder pressure is being dropped... that is about the only thing... i have been using nitrous for over 6 years i have a 2001 acura gs.. that is spraying a 125 shot and an 1997 eclipse spraying a 125 shot and a 1995 blazer 4.3 spraying a 150 shot... i know when nitrous kicks and how it works... with the nitrous being so pressurized inside the bottle and the effects much greater then that of co2... that is why there is a difference... i am soon to add a wet kit with a 75 shot to my srt then i will be able to really say i am using nitrous as of right now all i am doing is freezing the intercooler to cause a cylinder pressure drop which in turn causes more power
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,481 Posts
d_fl8ted1 said:
the nitrous is so much colder then co2 that is how you get your difference in the performance part of it...
The whole co2 vs. n20 has been beat to death on other forums but I can assure you the the temperature of both gases has little to do with which one makes more power (mainly because their expelled temperature is almost the same). Co2 is also much cheaper then n20 which is something to consider when considering this setup. Why are you all concerned with "gaining" horsepower with an intercooler sprayer in the 1st place? I was lead to believe that the intention of this product was to maintain your current power level preventing heat soak from occurring. If you're going to spend the money on n20 and want to see real gains then spray it directly into your intake manifold, don't waste it by spraying it in front of your car. Btw, dyno testing with fmic cooling products is very inaccurate unless conducted in a wind tunnel or an actual driving situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
i ran an i/c cooler on my srt untill i proved to myself it was a waste of money filling the bottle. first off, unless you have a boost controller it can't help since the pcm will lower your boost when it sees the lower charge temps, the srt has tourqe managment in the pcm so it can give 250lbft at all times regardless of the temp. i ran many track runs with and without the sprayer when my car was stock, it ran 14.05 time after time, both with the spray and without it, as a test i took off the air box lid and ran 13.92. so yes the n2o can be sucked into the filter, it will help with heat soak. and can make some power through cooling the charge air temps, but you will need some type of boost controller to make it work or the pcm will just take back your gains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,905 Posts
i had the nx n-tercooler and dynoed it at 33 whp and 46 ft /lbs of torque.
This was with the hood down. You could see the nitrous plume over the side of the car and rise above my driver side window. I think its great for the heat soak issue. Haven't really used it in a race yet. But im thinking since im running super rich with stage 2. what if i had it modified to run a 50 wet shot? Do you guys think this will be safe?

sorry for changing the subject somewhat. But now Im starting to think for the money you pay, it may be better to choose a wet kit over this. I love it to death dont get me wrong...but the sound of unmeasured nitrous being sucked up in the intake...if that does happen...sounds well....unsettling.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,481 Posts
hydrohopper said:
I'll take the 30-50 whp whether its getting into my intake or doing it the intercooler method. That fine with me.
If you're looking to make 30-50whp I would spend my money on something thats proven to make power. Nitrous as I stated earlier has proven to be very effective.. I personally would opt for a larger intercooler which would drop intake temps and increase the efficiency of your turbo. Basically a larger intercooler will do the same thing as an intercooler chiller but one doesnt require refilling with expensive nitrous.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top