Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for some reason I seem to be mesmerized with how torque-happy these little 2.4's are, and I was wondering how much cams, pistons, and other mods would affects the HP/Torque numbers. I like the idea of having at least the HP the same as the Torque, if not more torque compared to HP, but I know that cams can be beneficial for mainly gaining HP higher up in the revrange. My question is how much do cams actually affect the torque numbers in a mildly built SRT-4, if torque is even extremely vital to our light little cars. (forgive me if the question is kinda dumb, I'm new here) Also, is their any method/upgrade path for gaining decent torque in relation to roughly the same HP? (I'm referring to not getting the usual 4 cylinder HP/Torque where HP is usually a decent bit higher than torque)

Thanks for helping my curiosity!
-BladeFPV

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
You're asking a lot....

These cars are torquey because they have a large 4 cyl with a baby turbo. Once modifications come into play the tq to hp ratio can end up all over the place. Turbo size, compression ratios, porting, cam size, etc etc. all play a roll in this.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
1. The SRT-4 has a "long stroke" engine, meaning the stroke is longer than the bore is wide.
Long stroke engines typically make more TQ and less HP.
Other "oversquare" engines where the bore is wider than the stroke typically make more HP and less TQ.
These "oversquare" engines typically rev higher than "long stroke" engines.
Here are the stroke and bore specs for the SRT-4 motor.
Stroke:3.976 in (101.0 mm)
Bore:3.445 in (87.5 mm)

2. Raising the boost pressure also seems to produce an higher rate of increase in TQ with less of an increase in HP. It's not uncommon to see a tuned 28 PSI stock turbo SRT-4 making close to 400 ft lbs of TQ and 300 HP (roughly).

3. Carroll Shelby quote: Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're asking a lot....

These cars are torquey because they have a large 4 cyl with a baby turbo. Once modifications come into play the tq to hp ratio can end up all over the place. Turbo size, compression ratios, porting, cam size, etc etc. all play a roll in this.
Yeah I guess I do ask alot...lol. I guess my original question should've been something like why do these cars have a lot of torque in the first place. But, i did get my answer anyway. Thanks for answering my kinda dumb questions...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts