Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My srt-4 has been boosting to around 11psi max for the last 6000 miles, and I've been in and out of the dealership trying to get it fixed. I have only 2 mods. Mopar BoV and Mopar STS.

At first the dealership claimed my BoV was responsible, but after I offered to pay for the removal of the BoV if, by removing it, the boost 'leak' was fixed.

Anyways, long story short, they did all sortsa things to my car, including replacing the entire turbo, and I'm still getting ~11psi max.

I just got my car back for the 4th time, and being under 18 months and 18,000 miles I've decided to pursue my rights under the lemon law act. This time I picked up my car however, the dealership informed me that DCX claims 11.5 psi max boost is completely normal, and that after test driving 4 other new SRT-4's the maximum boost the dealership ever reached was 11.5 psi.

Was I hallucinating when I got my car just 10 months ago and excitedly watched as the boost needle shot up to 14~15 and stabilized at ~13? Did the dealership replace my entire turbo the second time I brought it in "because 11.5 psi is normal" but they were being just really really nice?

Anyways, hopefully someone can confirm my hallucination when I bought my car that the vehicle doesn't only hit ~11 psi MAX...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
:D :( SEARCH ;)

A'ight , now I'm writing your answer... gimme a sec

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
As far as I know, 11PSI is FAR from normal. Even in Aalska (Cold Wethear) you should be boostin' 12-13. I'm in cali and in the mornings and late night (That are colder) I'm hitting 13-14 No problem. I can spike to 17PSI with Stage 0 on 5th and down to 14-15.

I would test drive one in front of them (make sure you don't gun it till it's warmed up, otherwise you won't see more than 10-11PSI).

good luck with Lemon Law...

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
buy a boost controller or wastegate and your problem is solved.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
dymondboy2f, you crack me up :rofl:

dymondboy2f said:
buy a boost controller or wastegate and your problem is solved.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, yeah dymondboy2f, but I'd like to get the dealership to fix my problems before I start modding my car even more with aftermarket parts... :)

Thanks for the offer htoudiee... it shouldn't have to come down to that, as I'm going to go test drive those SRT-4's at the dealership to see if they're trying to pull a fast one... I'll have my girlfriend bring a digicam too, just to get some proof.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
When I first got my car it seemed to only like 11-12psi. After the K&N and Mopar BOV it seemed to spike at 15 and drop back down to 11-12psi.

After stage 1 the car spikes to 14.5-15 and drops to 13 at redline. The car has always pulled very hard.

You should Dyno your car and see if you are making near or around the right amount of horse power.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
when you go test drive make sure u drive around for 10 min 1st and the engine has been up to temp for a couple minutes or it will not boost fully.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Also, do the boost checks in 3rd or 4th gear, as 2nd gear will not boost 14-15 on a stock car. 3rd gear should net 12-14 pounds, 4th 13-15 pounds.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Oh and one more thing, check to see if your boost gauge itself is what is broken!

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Ouminan- go to Sears, find a thing called an 'Air Pressure regulator valve' for a compressor, (its like 22.xx bucks)....then buy some barbs for it...probably 1/4 inch bars, teflon tape everything before you put it in, then look for the --->(arrow) and run it to the wastegate...home made boost controller, see if the car acts up with it, if it does take it out

worth a shot and its cheap and takes 5 mins to do

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, chubz, my next course of action is actually to go and get my car dyno'd somewhere. It'd be kind of silly for me to get all riled up, if in fact my car was making sufficient horsepower and torque representative of stock SRT-4's...

I'll be sure to warm the test cars up djpheer. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Well I guess I will play devils advocate and defend DCX.If you look at the boost tables for a stage 0/stock srt4 in the servcie manual and/or tech manual 11-12 is the "normal" maximum sustained boost.

Boost for stage 1 is increased to 14-15 normal sustained boost.

Remember your boost gauge can EASILY vary by 2 psi compared to the next guy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops, I guess I should clarify...

when I meant "normal" boost, I meant spike maximum. My car doesn't hold 11.5 psi, it spikes to 11.5 and then drops to 10 and under. This is for 3rd gear and up.

They've actually replaced my boost gauge twice already. Didn't help. What's interesting is the dealership said they tested the boost on the vehicle externally and reported a maximum of 14... not sure how they did that though...

Oh well, I've got alot to consider and check out... will probably check out the new SRT-4's on the lot, and dyno my own car before I start the legal gears a turnin...

Thanks for all your input guys.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Ouminan said:
Oops, I guess I should clarify...

when I meant "normal" boost, I meant spike maximum. My car doesn't hold 11.5 psi, it spikes to 11.5 and then drops to 10 and under. This is for 3rd gear and up.
That makes more sense as to why youd be pissed. That sounds low.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts