Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in Oct. I replaced my basket handle wing with an SXT wing, still wasn't happy with the look so I just removed the SXT wing. Strange, the drivers side has two holes aprx. 9mm, the passenger side has one hole aprx. 9mm and one hole aprx. 6mm! I bought Hillman black plastic " Chrysler variable depth Push Fasteners @ Lowes, 2 pkgs. of 2ea. @ 67 cents a pkg. I had to slot and grind down the shafts of the fasteners before they would fit correctly. Installed them with black silicone sealer to stop any water leaks. Seems to work OK for a cheap, reversible, maybe temporary no wing look.

The body shop wants $300.00 to fill the holes and repaint my trunk lid, $1.34 for the plastic plugs seems a lot more reasonable.

Interesting, the back of the car doesn't look quite as high now that the wing is gone and without the wing I can see out the interior rear view mirror better.

·
Registered
800 Posts
haljensen1 said:
I don't want to trade trunk lids, I plan on keeping all the original parts. It's been my experience that limited production vehicle parts increase in value after a few years.
That'd be nice, but I saw on MSN the other day the neon was in bottom 5 for cars that hold their value. I know it's not a Neon...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well we all know that the wingless are definitely the best SRT's . . . the trunk lids aren't as easy or cheap to come by as I wish though. Still looking for one in my case, the largest problem however is the lid-springs are set for the weight of the wing . . . you can tweak the lid if your not careful when opening it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do any of you have a pic of the back view without the wing? I have wondered what it would look like without it.

Thanks!
Jennifer

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wow! Looks better than I thought. Very distinctive. I've been seriously considering ordering my SRT-4 without a wing, or perhaps with an R/T or SX wing instead. Anyone have any opinions on that?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Warrior Bob has a sweet wing set up on his and there are a few other's with subtle wing setups also (I can't think of them at the moment). It's a quick way to individualize your car and gets rid of some of the unwanted attention (namely your local traffic officer)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wing comparison pic

Hey all,

I spent some time tonight and assembled some pics from the forum here and dodge's site to show all 4 options I can think of regarding factory wings. If your car is listed here and you would rather it isn't, please let me know and I'll take the photo down.

:clap:

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
haljensen1 said:
Back in Oct. I replaced my basket handle wing with an SXT wing, still wasn't happy with the look so I just removed the SXT wing. Strange, the drivers side has two holes aprx. 9mm, the passenger side has one hole aprx. 9mm and one hole aprx. 6mm! I bought Hillman black plastic " Chrysler variable depth Push Fasteners @ Lowes, 2 pkgs. of 2ea. @ 67 cents a pkg. I had to slot and grind down the shafts of the fasteners before they would fit correctly. Installed them with black silicone sealer to stop any water leaks. Seems to work OK for a cheap, reversible, maybe temporary no wing look.

The body shop wants $300.00 to fill the holes and repaint my trunk lid, $1.34 for the plastic plugs seems a lot more reasonable.

Interesting, the back of the car doesn't look quite as high now that the wing is gone and without the wing I can see out the interior rear view mirror better.
It would be interesting to see what happens at high-speed without the rear wing.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well I removed my wing and had the holes welded up and repainted the lid. raced an EVO last night around 140 :wah?!: the car felt really floaty and loose at the back. I couldn't figure out why as I've had it topped out once or twice in the past. After he got done OWNING me :crying: from a 70mph roll and I had time to think about my stupidity :grimrippe I remembered the wing. I don't care how stupid the factory shopping cart handle looks IT HELPS AT HIGH SPEED :readclose Not to worried about though as I'm more interested in this being a drag car anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
hemidakota said:
It would be interesting to see what happens at high-speed without the rear wing.
I agree, hit a bump at 100 mph and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
As I've posted before, at 125 the car responds the same for me with or without wing, still scary to hit a bump with wing. Having the wing on would instill about .005% more confidence for me . . .

I've done both, please don't lecture me on it unless you have also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.