Dodge SRT Forum banner

No boost in 2nd gear! 1.5 years and waiting solution!

8K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  lilviper 
#1 ·
This isn't my first attempt at this thread so for that i do apologize but I NEED this fixed.

I have an 04 stock turbo, stock wastegate, bov, dsp and n2mb launch and no lift shift.

Since i purchased this car a year and a half ago, i have had a terrible time building boost after shifting. Its not turbo lag, it just doesnt build at all past what i built in 1st gear. For example....if i build 7 psi in first gear i will have 7 psi in every gear there after unless i wait for about 2-3 seconds in between shifts and then it will build to normal boost levels.

I bought the n2mb box to see if shifting under wot would possibly bandage this problem but the same results occur. If i flat foot shift from 1st to second i will remain at 7psi through out second gear and then through the rest of the gears. if i wait between 1st and 2nd i can get 15 psi in second and then flat foot the rest with 15 psi as well. its like the car does not have the capability of boosting after a gear change. i have never driven any other srt 4 so i can not say for sure but i would assume even if i flat foot shifted out of 1st and into second that the boost should start at 7psi and build up to 15 psi almost instantaneously. but like i said....my boost levels just sit there at the previous gears psi.

i hope any of this makes sense because i am trying to explain it as thorough as possible. Im sure you can all imagine what this does to my ET's. its embarrassing have the only srt 4 that cant break into the 13s even with 2.1 60s and 105 mph traps. i feel i should be well into the 13's but waiting between 1st and second gear is just killing me.

I have a kinetic wastegate on the way.....just thought maybe my wastegate is sticking or something but would like to stay on pcm controlled boost if i can figure this out. i would like to keep my stock wga but got a really good deal on the kinetic so....

sorry to drag on but im loosing my mind here with this.....

thanks!!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Possible causes:

Lines on the WG solenoid are reversed, the black line to the WGA should be on the middle nipple, the Green to the turbo housing should be on the top port closest to the electrical connector, the bottom port should be open to atmosphere.

The WG solenoid is leaking\not sealing properly in which case get a replacement from the dealer.

The catalytic converter is clogged, replace with a catless DP or new cat.

The wastegate flapper is bent\damaged, in many cases it can't be repaired so replacement exhaust manifold.

#6 ·
Yeah man im with new jersey look up the stock vac line diagram if you have to go to autozone pull the vac lines get some fuel line or somethin and build your own system... I had vac lines get clogged with gummy shit kinda like the sticky stuff on elec tape idk how but i ended up having to run my own line to the stock surge valve b4! It could be clogged its a big line but if you want your car fixed id try just about ne thing

#7 ·
i have taken it all off and started over more times than you know....lol. i am catless with a 3" cut out dp so that eliminates that....my vacuum lines....well they are correct but i have gone over them at least 300 times to double check anyways....so i guess all that is left is to hope its my wastegate. if i try that kinetic off pcm controlled boost and all is fine then i will either see if i can deal with the ptb and all the crap of a kinetic wastegate or hope that going back on pcm with a stocker or fm wastegate will still fix the problem. thanks for all the responses and please feel free to add more food for thought. at this point no idea is stupid becuase i have tried almost everything my unintelligent brain could come up with.

#8 · (Edited)
Have you tried another solenoid"almost sounds like a lazy solenoid if there is such a thing"?
Can you take some pics for us of your vac setup and engine bay and such?
Are you Dsp tuned? if so can u post a log?
When its does boost up what numbers do u see what boost does it hold at redline?

#11 ·
A small leak could be the cause. I couldnt get more then 14psi in 2nd but would still get 19-21 in 3rd and 4th. A nipple on the cold side was ripped. Also a soleniod wasnt pluged loosing boost. But 7psi leads to WG. Change it out. I would say do the cheap/free stuff first.

#14 ·
And make sure you do a boost leak test, just to remove anything possible plus its free

#15 ·
i have boost leak tested it and it holds really well, i have all t-bolt clamps they do well. As far as the boost gauge i know they are known for being innacurate but the power just isnt there either....like hitting a brick wall compared to being in boost. i will definitely replace the solenoid. seems like a win win situation for pretty much free so i will do that to at least eliminate that possibility. and yes i am dsp tuned but it does this on stock and 93 octane and wasnt dsp when i first purchased the car. its just a crazy little demon that i need to find so my car can be unleashed...lol. but in all seriousness i do appreciate all the responses and ideas and will make sure to keep you posted on what happens and changes so that we can help other people in the future on this!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.