Dodge SRT Forum banner

Nitrous Oxide

3K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Xerxes 
#1 ·
Are there any risks or dangers to the engine associated with installing a Nitrous Oxide system? Anyone done this with their SRT-4 yet?

#2 ·
i think i heard there are a few SRT4s in South FL that are using NOS

#3 ·
There's zero danger with installing a nitrous oxide system, how you use it is another story :)

I'd like to talk with someone who has experience with nitrous on a turbocharged engine. I've been juicing the normally aspirated engines for years, but now I'm going to have a new toy...

Have fun,
Dale

#4 ·
I say lame and rice.
Nitrous is the 'easy way'. That's how people with shitty cars and no know-how try to make their cars quick. I don't like it at all. I'd rather do it right. Also, I've never had a car with the funny stuff, but I know plenty of people who have. The risk, if used properly and in moderation, is minimal to acceptable. However, many people that don't know better blow shit up using nitrous. Also, it can't be argued that it puts more strain on your engine and drivetrain. Shouldn't affect the SRT-4 too much if you're careful. My conclusion: NO.

#5 ·
Xerxes said:
I say lame and rice.
Nitrous is the 'easy way'. That's how people with shitty cars and no know-how try to make their cars quick. I don't like it at all. I'd rather do it right. Also, I've never had a car with the funny stuff, but I know plenty of people who have. The risk, if used properly and in moderation, is minimal to acceptable. However, many people that don't know better blow shit up using nitrous. Also, it can't be argued that it puts more strain on your engine and drivetrain. Shouldn't affect the SRT-4 too much if you're careful. My conclusion: NO.
Interesting perspective. I know a lot of people share your view, but I don't understand it. I say fast is fast, and easy is better than hard. If nitrous is allowed on the drag strip, the only thing that matters is who crosses the finish line first, right?

#6 ·
your conclusion has no factual information :wink:

simply based on opinion you don't like nitrous for the bang for the buck power it gives, to these "ricers" is the impression I get.

power is power no matter how make it.

I can hardly see how nitrous is rice or lame. But that would be my opinion

8)

#7 ·
As an old school driver, I have to agree with several points made here. If raw speed for the track is your goal, it doesn't matter how you get it, and nitrous would be cheap and easy. As far as wear and tear on the engine, ANY performance modification adds stress.

If you enjoy working on your car, then you might want to consider getting the power from add-ons, where half the fun is being able to look at the car and say "I did that myself".

A lot of people associate nitrous with the "Fast and Furious" mentality, which is street racing, with no regard to the safety of others. I fall into that category, and do not believe in street racing. However, nitrous does have it's place at the track.

#8 ·
RedSRT4Me said:
your conclusion has no factual information :wink:

simply based on opinion you don't like nitrous for the bang for the buck power it gives, to these "ricers" is the impression I get.

power is power no matter how make it.

I can hardly see how nitrous is rice or lame. But that would be my opinion

8)
It is your opinion and whether or not I agree with it I'm not going to talk shit about it. My opinion is based on fact. And the people I consulted are ones like a friend that owns a local performance shop. He works on and dynos everything from your average tuned cars (neons, civics, accords, etc.) to BMW 750il's, lots of Porsches, and last time I was there there were a few real badass RX7's. He likes nitrous, depending on the application. I don't like it, depending on the application. I wouldn't put it in any of my cars (especially street cars), but I'm not totally opposed to it in some cars. If you're having a hard time getting power any other way, sometimes sissy gas is a good option for you. I just don't think it's the way to go (at all) with the SRT-4. So many good (and in my opinion better) ways to make power.

#9 ·
p.s. It's rice and lame because eighty percent of the people that use it in their street cars didn't even know what it was before a certain movie. And since then every damn sixteen year old driving his mom's 626 wants to put nitrous in it.

#12 ·
I ment High Horse....

-My point-

The like or dislike of juice falls under the same age old fight over 8s and 4s, domestics and imports, coke and pepsi.

I've built motors for the squeeze and it's just like building an engine for a turbo or supercharger. They are different roads to the same end. Power and Speed.
Just because you have SEEN others with N2O you want to car it rice. Maybe you saw a ricer with it then labled it, sissy. Nittro has been used on V8s for decades. Tell a guy down here in Shreveport La. (at the track) his blown/juiced 64 Malibu is rice!

-James

#13 ·
Acidryno said:
Just because you have SEEN others with N2O you want to car it rice. Maybe you saw a ricer with it then labled it, sissy. Nittro has been used on V8s for decades. Tell a guy down here in Shreveport La. (at the track) his blown/juiced 64 Malibu is rice!

-James
Amen, brother. I've been watching cars juiced with nitrous for 30 years. Long before rice was anything other than the San Francisco treat.

#14 ·
Acidryno said:
I've built motors for the squeeze and it's just like building an engine for a turbo or supercharger.
Except for the compression ratio, right? :wink:

#16 ·
Compression ratios are about the same, given equal amounts of addtional power.

Arguing about nitrous is like trying to have a reasonable conversation with a pro-lifer about abortion :)

There's no arguing that nitrous oxide use goes way back, they were using it on planes when the first superchargers and turbos were developed. There's also no arguing that like the SRT-4 wing, side skirts, and 'dual exhaust', nitrous is easy to associate with ricers.

It all depends on perspective. If you're talking about a 50 shot of juice, yeah, it's a really cheap way out that doesn't require a lot of forethought or 'skillz'. But, if you're talking about a dual, or triple stage 200 to thousand hp shot, you better know what you're doing.

Nitrous is a fuel, and unlike gasoline, actually produces significant amounts of power. Even in a lightweight 75 - 100hp shot, you need to add gasoline to keep the temperatures down.

If you really understand how it works, you'll realize that it's no different from a supercharger or a turbo, except that it doesn't require the mechanical compressor and it doesn't heat up the intake charge.

All you are doing with a turbo or supercharger is pushing more oxygen into the combustion chamber. Nitrous does the same thing, increasing the oxygen content of the ambient air from 21% to as big a number as you want, as long as it's less than 30%.

A turbo is more like nitrous than a supercharger is... a supercharger produces boost whenever the engine is running, a turbo only produces boost under a load, nitrous can produce 'boost' whenever you want to.

That's the key, whenever you want, as much as you want. Now, you could be a wuss and get a turbo that won't blow your engine unless you overboost what your fuel system can cool, and your bottom-end can withstand, or you can put the control directly in your hands with nitrous. Sure you have to think more when you use nitrous, but fast cars ain't for kids who can't think clearly when they're driving...

People blow motors all the time without nitrous, think about what they'd do with it... It would certainly sort out the weak ones....people that is...

What was it that made a turbo, a supercharger, or super-cammed normally aspirated car so superior to a nitrous car again? Don't say bottle fills, because you oughta know how much you're going to need each day, I run two 15# bottles so that I don't get a pressure drop after the first 4 or 5 minutes of continuous use. Don't say it's cheap, cause at $4 a pound, I'm dumping about $120 in one three to four lap session. Don't say it's low-tech, that's just ignorant, you build nitrous engines just like turbo engines, only the cams are different.... What's that reason again? Oh yeah, it was in the Fast and Furious movie, try not to be so insecure....

#17 ·
Just an observation here of how much things have changed in 33 years, when I was 17 I was much more interested in putting NO2 into my Lungs than into the carb of my '51 Desoto. Kinda off the wall, but its true. As a matter of fact, we didn't even know nitrous would increase Horsepower!

#18 ·
The guys that built my Ford engines never built a motor for boost & juice the same way. If a motor was gonna run N/A or with Nitrous they built it with higher compression (10-11:1 or so) for more HP on or off the juice. The oppposite was true for turbo/blower motors. They built them with lower compression (8.1:1 SRT-4 - 8:5) to keep everything together under boost. I'm sure whatever cars are using the 2.4 w/out F/I, they were not built with compression ratios lower than 9:1. If you disagree please be kind with your comments. :wink:

#19 ·
I didn't say it was new.
I didn't say it wasn't effective.
I didn't say it couldn't be used on a V8.

I farking hate that group/we're better than you mentality. People are so much more apt to spout off at the mouth then they know there are people in the vicinity that share their view. I don't care what you think of my views. You're free to have yours, I'm free to have mine. I don't talk shit about yours and I'll thank you to not talk shit about mine. We're not at recess, quit acting like it.

#21 ·
RUgoinup said:
The guys that built my Ford engines never built a motor for boost & juice the same way. If a motor was gonna run N/A or with Nitrous they built it with higher compression (10-11:1 or so) for more HP on or off the juice. The oppposite was true for turbo/blower motors. They built them with lower compression (8.1:1 SRT-4 - 8:5) to keep everything together under boost. I'm sure whatever cars are using the 2.4 w/out F/I, they were not built with compression ratios lower than 9:1. If you disagree please be kind with your comments. :wink:
I'm always kind :)

When using small shots of nitrous, lower compression is fine, but start running the big jets and you need to drop compression to avoid detonation. When you want to engage the nitrous has a lot to do with it as well. A 100 shot of nitrous produces 100 HP worth of cylinder pressure at any point along your rpm curve. At high rpm, you're fine, however, at a low rpm, you can be more than doubling the cylinder pressure which helps shorten rods and crack ring lands.

At the dragstrip, you can run a higher compression because it's a simple matter of figuring out what the lowest rpm you'll be engaging at. On a road course though, a lower compression is a good idea because of the opportunity run your juice out of the corner after a downshift that could leave you at less than 3K rpms...

Have fun,
Dale

#24 ·
I'll throw in my 2 cents. My favorite kind of driving is a back road, full of turns, with no other cars in sight. Nitrous is of no use for this kind of driving. Nitrous is only good for one thing, drag racing, that's not my thing. The only kind of real racers that use nitrous are drag racers. Usually the only form of racer that gets disrespected a lot too, coincidence?

JC

#25 ·
nitrous, or NAWZ as it is commonly called, is for PUSSIES. cheaters...

#26 ·
Nitrous is quite fun if you ask me. When I bought my 94 Mustang GT brand new, that was my first mod. I got tired of hearing "only 215 HP, the new Mustangs are slow." So I put a 125 dry kit on & showed them other wise. That was 9 years ago when the word 'rice' was only heard with '& beans' after it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.