Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just removed my NGK V-Power's and noticed they all went up from .050 to .053 except one???? still at .050??? was getting spark blow out I think at WOT since engine would not accelerate smoothly...would like make a woobling noise effect. like plugs could not spark enough to keep up with rpms. or could have been that one plug staying at .050 putting things out of sync. Put in my still newish stock champs until new ngk's arrive. Their all at .050 and damm what a difference. Smooth acceleration. Guess .052 and up is too much gap for our plugs. Think I'm going to kick things down a notch to .047 so after 10k plugs are at .050 and still good. Tips are worn down some so prob still change at 10k, but at least won't have blow out. :clap:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SayNoTo.org said:
Go .045 with the new NGKs.
That's what they come pre gapped. At least last time they did.

·
Registered
797 Posts
1st of all it takes more power to fire the ngk plugs # lstr5aix-13 than our stock champions. if you got a week link in your elect sys these plugs will find it.i got the stock champions gapped at .60 and have 13000 mile nows with no problem but im all stock except msd wires. if your not happy with ngk try the champion # 7570.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Denso ITV-22? Are they the best plug in your opinion then? I have only upgraded to the MSD wires and have no future motor upgrade plans while my warranty is intact, but if by changing from the stock plugs to a better plug I can help the fuel burn & maybe get a better running car I'm most definetly interested. Don't mean to highjack thread. I just thought this question was along the same line. Any help plz.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing, but after 6k on the plugs...havent pulled them to check, but I am guessing thats it. I ordered 6 sets of V-powers cause they were on back order back then to make sure I had more when they blew out :) To get teh denzo plugs dont you have to get diff wires? I have the msd wires so if thats the case I will just use up the plugs I got.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
Well I just replaced plugs and WOW is all I have to say again. No more blow out....meaning no more my car sounding like I stuck my head out the window and bats smacking me in the face. Throttle response is much better....now when i press the gas it is boosting faster like it should be, *note to self....change plgus every 5k* Oh and the ones I took out were gapped at 45 still....white looking, but not bad....guess they just crapped out. Replaced with v-powers again since i have so many and amde sure gapped at 45.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
my first set of ngks were in for alittle over 11k miles. When I removed mine they were still at the .040 gap I set them at. They made a great improvement over the stock champs even though at 1500 miles the stock champs took a crap on me.
I still run NGK's now with zero problems.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
no, they are gapped at .028.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm

SayNoTo.org said:
Go .045 with the new NGKs.
For my car's set up....Actually found .040-.038 to be a happy range for plugs. At least for accelerating over 5500 RPM, little or none spark blowout... Idle is better though .045 and up. .045-.050 is probably better too if your using 91 or lower octane if station is out of super....Think I read on NGK site that there is less chance of Detonation with larger gaps. Probably why mopar reconmends .050... So, my opinion is run larger gaps for every day driving(NGK) and if you go to track, put in different set of plugs at lower gap(Champion). Yes, feel champions give me better acceleration over the NGK's. Trust NGK's more though, since people here have had champs break in motor on them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It sounds like you need a hotter ignition...
If you are blowing out the spark at lets say .40 increasing it to .50 wont help as much if you are running the same ignition setup.....what I mean is at 14psi-18psi you will need a hotter spark as in aftermarket coil and ignition. Running one heat range colder spark plug at around 15psi ungapped will help, obviously dont go platinum use iridium.....
If anyone is running platinum in a forced injected engine needs to get a new set of keys and leave the car alone. For te novice, I recomend NGK supers and gap them to .45. That should give you 6000rpm without a problem. Increase the gap to .50 and should give you 7500rpm without a problem.......if you run .45 and are still breaking up, you need a better ignition....period!
If you decide to downsize to .40 or less to give yourself back the spark, you are going to loose high RPM power, and are admiting you have a problem.
I was able to run a gap of .48 w/ an MSD5 box at 36psi of boost on an old SOHC 2.2 dodge from 87......enough said :eveilgrin

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Acidryno said:
The ngks don't last more than 5000 miles.
Can you prove that, show me any documents or where NGK states 5k usage?

They will last you alot longer then 5k; I ran my first set for 11k and they still felt great and could have gone much longer.
BTW, iridium plugs are good, but if you get one problem in the combustion champer (i.e. detonation) you better pray that iridium tip doesnt break off and screw up the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Dark-SRT4 said:
Can you prove that, show me any documents or where NGK states 5k usage?

They will last you alot longer then 5k; I ran my first set for 11k and they still felt great and could have gone much longer.
BTW, iridium plugs are good, but if you get one problem in the combustion champer (i.e. detonation) you better pray that iridium tip doesnt break off and screw up the cylinder walls.

I don't need to prove crap...I don't have to show you jack, and who gives a crap what NGK states.

I've went through 2 sets and I'm done with them. Denso is my next step. I've been through two different sets of Champions and those went quicker than the NGKs.

You do what you want to do. For my system, and most upgraded system, the NGKs go quick. Change them with your oil. They're cheep.

If you get any pre-det or det. problems in the cylinder you better hope to not melt the whatever plugs you have in there, it's not just a case with the iridiums...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Atleast in your situation its obvious the problem isn't in the plugs :deadcow:

Sure any plug can come apart with some major det. but the iridiums are known to go with the slightest of det. Luckily I have yet to hear of this happening in an srt but its happened in plenty other F/I cars.

The ngk's are cheap, thats the great part, and you dont need to change them at every oil change to still have a good spark. I have used them in 3 turbo cars with flawless results. Sure the iridiums are nice, since they are doing the same thing, but why spend more? The point was that ngks last longer then 5k, maybe not for someone thats doing the wrong thing, but they work. :readclose

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.