Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to replace my Mopar noise plate with a TurboXS SML valve. The stock surge valve had warped some over the years and when boost leak testing was letting air slowly escape out the sides.

I mounted the new SML valve, made sure the orientation was correct with the moon-shaped cutout matching the cutout on the turbocharger. I got everything back together, went to boost leak and immediately air is rushing out of the new valve. I can't even get it to hold 5 PSI for a full second. I routed the vacuum line from the valve to a source after the throttle body as recommended (where the stock PCV valve goes back into the intake manifold). I also tried connecting it to the factory pink line and the results were the same. Not sure if it's needed but yes the Key was on Acc like all the other times I have boost leak tested.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
i would try hooking the vacuum line from the turbo straight to the bov and see how it acts. if it gushes air that way, the diagraphm inside is likely bad/damaged/installed wrong.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would try hooking the vacuum line from the turbo straight to the bov and see how it acts. if it gushes air that way, the diagraphm inside is likely bad/damaged/installed wrong.
Thanks for the response! As far as installing the thing there isn't much to it. The seals are built into the housing and I just watch up and tightened the 3 bolts. I'm hoping I somehow didn't mess that up. As far as a vacuum source, would that be the lower port on the turbo that routs to the check valves/brake booster in this pic?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
you know what, disregard what i said earlier. i was thinking wastegate, not bov. BOV has to be hooked up in the system after the throttlebody so that it sees vacuum. Hook it up like stock. You likely have another issue.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know what, disregard what i said earlier. i was thinking wastegate, not bov. BOV has to be hooked up in the system after the throttlebody so that it sees vacuum. Hook it up like stock. You likely have another issue.
I have tried hooking it up stock to the pink line, as well as to the port after the throttle body on the intake manifold. Both behaved the same way with air blowing out of the TurboXS SML BOV when boost leak testing with the engine off but the car on Acc. I boost leak tested my car a week prior with the factory surge valve and it was testing normal with a very slow leak at the surge. I think everything else is buttoned on tight but maybe I'll bang my knuckles ones more time, put the factory surge back on, and re-test for sanity to confirm the new TurboXS valve is the issue.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know that sucks, but i think that is your logical next step.
Welp, I put the stock surge valve back on, boost leak tested, and it was holding boost just fine. Put the TurboXS SML valve on a 2nd time making sure everything was oriented correctly, on tight, etc. and still it leaks out from the bottom of the valve. I believe the area below the green is letting air slip right by. Below is a pic showing the orientation which I believe to be correct matching the crescent moon shape on both the valve and the turbo housing. Also are two videos, the first with audible air rushing out with the SML, the other with the car holding boost with the stock surge.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the valve is simply defective.

SML Leaking:

OEM:

IMG_20191017_091444.jpg

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To anyone finding this post years from now I ended up returning the valve. TurboXS STILL has not responded to my original email. When I tried calling I got a voicemail that was full. I would have tried a replacement but the customer service was so poor from them I decided to just get a refund.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
To anyone finding this post years from now I ended up returning the valve. TurboXS STILL has not responded to my original email. When I tried calling I got a voicemail that was full. I would have tried a replacement but the customer service was so poor from them I decided to just get a refund.
You know what, I REALLY REALLY appreciate you doing that. I dont suspect i'll ever need that info in the future, but it will be really nice for anyone else who does. I wish more people over the years had gone back and included info like that in their posts!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know what, I REALLY REALLY appreciate you doing that. I dont suspect i'll ever need that info in the future, but it will be really nice for anyone else who does. I wish more people over the years had gone back and included info like that in their posts!
Sme man, so many times I find someone who has my same exact problem yet never bothered to give a solution.

Just as a side note I also took the whole valve assembly apart and held it shut with my hand. Still air was escaping past the inner cylinder and the housing so I know it wasn't a bad spring or improper routing of vac lines. The inner cylinder had some play so most likely it was a manufacturing issue to begin with from TurboXS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts