Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently picked up an '05 Neon SRT4. When you turn the car on it shakes. When you start driving it shakes. When you step on it, it shakes. It doesn't really matter what speed, or if you're accelerating or decelerating. The gear does not matter. I have not found anything that provokes this issue or makes it better or worse.

When at highway speeds the shaking seems to become more repetitive and faster if that makes sense. Leads me to believe it's a revolving part. Had my buddy take it for a spin to see what he thinks. So far here's what we've come up with:

I've priced new CV axles, wheel bearings and hubs, a full brake kit, and other simple things for a tune up. If this doesn't fix or at least help the shaking I'll look into motor mounts. I may also consider the power steering pully. The motor runs strong, no CEL, and does not feel like the turbo is suffering at all. Also, the upper motor mount rubber appears intact, although pressed towards the front of the car if that makes sense.

As far as I know the car has the following:

Unknown brand coilovers

HKS BOV

stupid intake that puts the filter right next to the block

Battery relocation to the trunk

AGP intercooler that seems to be held on by gravity..

Me and a buddy will be doing the install for the parts I mentioned. I will try my best to record or document the experience as this will be the first time I've done anything like this. Pics to come soon. Excited for the build and looking for any solid advice from people who know these cars.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hello everyone. I recently picked up an '05 Neon SRT4. When you turn the car on it shakes. When you start driving it shakes. When you step on it, it shakes. It doesn't really matter what speed, or if you're accelerating or decelerating. The gear does not matter. I have not found anything that provokes this issue or makes it better or worse.

When at highway speeds the shaking seems to become more repetitive and faster if that makes sense. Leads me to believe it's a revolving part. Had my buddy take it for a spin to see what he thinks. So far here's what we've come up with:

I've priced new CV axles, wheel bearings and hubs, a full brake kit, and other simple things for a tune up. If this doesn't fix or at least help the shaking I'll look into motor mounts. I may also consider the power steering pully. The motor runs strong, no CEL, and does not feel like the turbo is suffering at all. Also, the upper motor mount rubber appears intact, although pressed towards the front of the car if that makes sense.

As far as I know the car has the following:

Unknown brand coilovers

HKS BOV

stupid intake that puts the filter right next to the block

Battery relocation to the trunk

AGP intercooler that seems to be held on by gravity..

Me and a buddy will be doing the install for the parts I mentioned. I will try my best to record or document the experience as this will be the first time I've done anything like this. Pics to come soon. Excited for the build and looking for any solid advice from people who know these cars.

Thanks!
Does it have any codes or solid motor mounts?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By codes I'm assuming you mean engine codes. When I scanned it, there was actually nothing. That's why I bought the car. I figured the motor was good to go.

The motor mounts appear to be the OEM ones. The car is lightly modded, nothing too complicated on it. It looks like it was just owned by a scumbag who didn't take good care of it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
By codes I'm assuming you mean engine codes. When I scanned it, there was actually nothing. That's why I bought the car. I figured the motor was good to go.

The motor mounts appear to be the OEM ones. The car is lightly modded, nothing too complicated on it. It looks like it was just owned by a scumbag who didn't take good care of it.
Some codes are hard coded into stage PCMs, helps figure out whatcha got.

For me.. Rough running, stumbling, irratic idle have usually been bad plugs, wires or a dead coil for me. My car hates anything but copper plugs or NGK 4306's. Iridium plugs cause poor idle and a stumble at various points. Others have different experiences.

Our cars are notorious for a shake at 80mph.. I have largely avoided it by hand tightening the lugnuts in a star pattern, and having the tires balanced at a reputable place.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Check the usual suspects. Ballpoints, wheel bearings.. Axels are reallly sketchy when replacing them. there are so many wrong ones out there, gotta pay attention.

Suspect coilovers suck, you really never know whats there. could be ebay.. might not be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some codes are hard coded into stage PCMs, helps figure out whatcha got.

For me.. Rough running, stumbling, irratic idle have usually been bad plugs, wires or a dead coil for me. My car hates anything but copper plugs or NGK 4306's. Iridium plugs cause poor idle and a stumble at various points. Others have different experiences.

Our cars are notorious for a shake at 80mph.. I have largely avoided it by hand tightening the lugnuts in a star pattern, and having the tires balanced at a reputable place.

Okay. I plan on doing balancing and alignment after we replace some of the other parts. I have plugs on the way too. They're iridium though LOL. My cobra did well with iridium plus. I'm really thinking that these parts should significantly reduce our eliminate the shaking. It makes me a little weary of wanting to get on it on the highway.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Okay. I plan on doing balancing and alignment after we replace some of the other parts. I have plugs on the way too. They're iridium though LOL. My cobra did well with iridium plus. I'm really thinking that these parts should significantly reduce our eliminate the shaking. It makes me a little weary of wanting to get on it on the highway.
Yes other cars swear by iridium. My cars hate them. Smooth idle, steady power without dropout, no weird stumbles all come from stock coils and NGK 4306 plugs. I havent had an issue with wires other than melting them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts