Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a BFMIC and CAI, now the car boosts less!! I used to spike 18 than fall off to 16 or so with only the spring mod. After the install, car dosent spike at all! Just climbs to 15 and falls off to about 12... WTF!!?? Already boost leak tested, nothing found... what is wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,239 Posts
Mattio said:
I recently installed a BFMIC and CAI, now the car boosts less!! I used to spike 18 than fall off to 16 or so with only the spring mod. After the install, car dosent spike at all! Just climbs to 15 and falls off to about 12... WTF!!?? Already boost leak tested, nothing found... what is wrong?


leak test it again.....do a leak down test from 20psi to 0. make sure it takes longer than 1:30 to leak down fully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
What iv heard too is u drop 1-2psi with an upgraded IC. Happen to me with my IC. Pretty much same power with less boost.

BTW ditch the Spring Mod it work for alil then ur Pcm learns whuts up. And also Reset ur Pcm/ disconnect neg terminal fer 5min then reconnect.

Oh like Dan said Boostleak test one more time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dansrt4 said:
Mattio said:
I recently installed a BFMIC and CAI, now the car boosts less!! I used to spike 18 than fall off to 16 or so with only the spring mod. After the install, car dosent spike at all! Just climbs to 15 and falls off to about 12... WTF!!?? Already boost leak tested, nothing found... what is wrong?


leak test it again.....do a leak down test from 20psi to 0. make sure it takes longer than 1:30 to leak down fully.

Are we talking one hour and thirty minutes?? thats a hello long boost test!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Bigger Intercooler = Larger Volume ... Should result in a slight decrease in boost. Just adjust boost accordingly. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
Dimarini said:
Bigger Intercooler = Larger Volume ... Should result in a slight decrease in boost. Just adjust boost accordingly. :thumbsup:
doubtful,,,, the larger volume only plays a part in the transient boost response, which literally only changes by milliseconds when the volume doubles. Once the time has lapsed to "filled" the extra volume its no longer of any issue. The same peak boost will be met but it just takes a little longer to reach the equilibrium point.

Sounds like a crap IC to me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
duster360 said:
RiVal said:
What iv heard too is u drop 1-2psi with an upgraded IC.
Upgrade?? I'd say it sounds like a DOWNgrade
SAY WHUT!!! U callin AGP a CRAP IC!!!!
I went from 2" stock IC ta FREAKIN 4.5" IC and ur sayin ur not gonna get psi drop Ur Trippn!! If U get More Psi that meens u got a Shitty IC, doesn't Flow well. Down Grade My ass! AGP FTW. Who can say otherwise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
RiVal said:
SAY WHUT!!! U callin AGP a CRAP IC!!!!
No I've not called the AGP FMIC a pos.?? i don't know what you're talking about. On the contrary I think its pretty good, although a little pricy.

RiVal said:
I went from 2" stock IC ta FREAKIN 4.5" IC and ur sayin ur not gonna get psi drop Ur Trippn!! If U get More Psi that meens u got a Shitty IC, doesn't Flow well.
Absolutely incorrect. If the inlet pressure of the IC is more than the outlet's its a positive sign of a restriction. There will be a slight drop in psi(<1psi usually) from a denser charge but it will be very slight. The 3-4psi drop seen on most shitty IC are just flags of the crappy design.

In the end, any drop in maximum boost pressure, as seen on the guage, is a poor indicator of IC quality but rather a better indicator of how precise the boost control is. With good wastegate control, you should be able to splice a 5/8" garden hose into the intake track but still read the same pressure on the guage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
Just remember, any post about intercoolers and duster360 is going to chime in with why you should do the exact opposite of what you're doing. Therefore, there is never a correct setup or solution [/discussion]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
SRTie4k said:
Just remember, any post about intercoolers and duster360 is going to chime in with why you should do the exact opposite of what you're doing. Therefore, there is never a correct setup or solution [/discussion]
Yes if there were fewer retards misguiding kids into buying poorly designed or unnecessary parts I'd have more time on my hands.

If there's any part of my reasoning that you disagree with I'd be happy to hear it and discuss it,,,I have been wrong many times,, just ask the wife or ex-wife for that matter:jester:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
duster360 said:
SRTie4k said:
Just remember, any post about intercoolers and duster360 is going to chime in with why you should do the exact opposite of what you're doing. Therefore, there is never a correct setup or solution [/discussion]
Yes if there were fewer retards misguiding kids into buying poorly designed or unnecessary parts I'd have more time on my hands.

If there's any part of my reasoning that you disagree with I'd be happy to hear it and discuss it,,,I have been wrong many times,, just ask the wife or ex-wife for that matter:jester:
that's what the forums are all about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Just an FYI, cooler air is more dense and therefore has less volume. Don't believe me; blow up a balloon and stick in in the refridgerator. Cold air intake theoretically brings in cooler air; bigger intercooler theoretically lowers the air in the charge pipe.

You say you're getting less boost on the gauge;
Does it feel slower? Then yes, you have a problem
Does it feel the same? Feels the same at less boost, kinda supports the more dense theory
Does it feel faster? Get yourself a boost controller or a bigger turbo and you'll REALLY like it
issuez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,246 Posts
Traction Issuez said:
Just an FYI, cooler air is more dense and therefore has less volume. Don't believe me; blow up a balloon and stick in in the refridgerator. Cold air intake theoretically brings in cooler air; bigger intercooler theoretically lowers the air in the charge pipe.
FYI: there's no such thing a "volume" once a fluid is moving, especially for a fluid that is compressible(air).

For Air with Mach numbers below 1 if you cool it, the pressure INCREASES.

So sorry for moving air, the balloon analogy doesn't hold,,um,,,oh yeah air.




Traction Issuez said:
You say you're getting less boost on the gauge;
Does it feel slower? Then yes, you have a problem
yes, i'd agree with that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i guess i just have a shitty IC... 4" ebay special!! i'll go shoot myself, i'll just make that bitch boost 18psi with a MBC!!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top