Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Neon SRT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Lurked for a while because my car had been sitting for a few years. Got a garage now, and have been wanting to get my car in shape for weekends and potentially hitting a track. Back in the day I had a 95' Neon, and just started to love these cars.

Got a used 05' back in 2012 or so. Mostly stock, orange with the sun roof. Around 2018 it began experiencing some issues and I didn't have the time to work on it, so I had to let it sit. Cranked it up every weekend for few years, drove it around a bit, and tried to keep it clean.

A few months ago I decided to drive it to the new house so I could keep it in the garage. Made it a few miles until it lost power and died. Unable to even jump the car now.

Any advice for the best forum to start trouble-shooting?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hello all.

Lurked for a while because my car had been sitting for a few years. Got a garage now, and have been wanting to get my car in shape for weekends and potentially hitting a track. Back in the day I had a 95' Neon, and just started to love these cars.

Got a used 05' back in 2012 or so. Mostly stock, orange with the sun roof. Around 2018 it began experiencing some issues and I didn't have the time to work on it, so I had to let it sit. Cranked it up every weekend for few years, drove it around a bit, and tried to keep it clean.

A few months ago I decided to drive it to the new house so I could keep it in the garage. Made it a few miles until it lost power and died. Unable to even jump the car now.

Any advice for the best forum to start trouble-shooting?

Thank you,
By unable to jump do you mean it has an electrical problem that prevents the car from engaging the starter, it cranks but does not fire? fires but does not run?

What codes do you have?
Is it out of gas?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Neon SRT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By unable to jump do you mean it has an electrical problem that prevents the car from engaging the starter, it cranks but does not fire? fires but does not run?

What codes do you have?
Is it out of gas?

I mean it won't respond at all. No dash lights, no noise, nothing. Haven't tried to get codes yet, not even sure if I can. About 99% sure it's not out of gas (would have to have been leaking or the sensor would have to be bad).

I can do a write up of everything I've tried so far and detail the problems, but I'm on mobile. I can even post the diagnostic report from the dealer later.

My current suspicion is the PCM or some random bad electrical components....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I mean it won't respond at all. No dash lights, no noise, nothing. Haven't tried to get codes yet, not even sure if I can. About 99% sure it's not out of gas (would have to have been leaking or the sensor would have to be bad).

I can do a write up of everything I've tried so far and detail the problems, but I'm on mobile. I can even post the diagnostic report from the dealer later.

My current suspicion is the PCM or some random bad electrical components....
you turn the key and nothing happens? have you checked the battery voltage?

·
Registered
2005 Neon SRT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you turn the key and nothing happens? have you checked the battery voltage?

Battery voltage is dead - like 6. Shouldn't it be able to be jumped, though?

It actually died while driving twice. At first it wouldn't jump. Then, waited a while, checked cables, tried it again, then it cranked up.

I was able to crank it every weekend for a while. One day decided to go around the block, then it died again. Couldn't get it back to life, and ended up having to tow it home.

Like I said, I can do a full write up of everything - should I post it here on in the problems sub?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Battery voltage is dead - like 6. Shouldn't it be able to be jumped, though?

It actually died while driving twice. At first it wouldn't jump. Then, waited a while, checked cables, tried it again, then it cranked up.

I was able to crank it every weekend for a while. One day decided to go around the block, then it died again. Couldn't get it back to life, and ended up having to tow it home.

Like I said, I can do a full write up of everything - should I post it here on in the problems sub?
Unless you have a seriously interesting battery.. 6V is hard to bring back to life, then what are you doing to the alternator?

Getcha a new battery and then see if it starts. If your alternator is dead it will use the battery to run until its out of voltage

·
Registered
2005 Neon SRT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you have a seriously interesting battery.. 6V is hard to bring back to life, then what are you doing to the alternator?

Getcha a new battery and then see if it starts. If your alternator is dead it will use the battery to run until its out of voltage

I got the alternator bench tested at autozone today and they said it was good.

I'll try a new battery when I put the alternator back in and see what happens.

Do you think it was strange though that I was able to crank it for weeks with no problem, then it just died while driving?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

Do you think it was strange though that I was able to crank it for weeks with no problem, then it just died while driving?
We have had batteries work just fine on Monday and dead Tuesday. Im not saying thats the issue, but its an issue for sure.

once you get a new battery in it, and it starts running, make sure your alt is charging the battery. the voltage should go from 12.6 is to 13.7-14.4. I have never personally seen 14.4v in a chrysler, but all things are possible.

·
Super Moderator
16,345 Posts

The electrical systems on modern vehicles (by modern I am referring to the last 20 to even 30 years on some models) are no longer closed systems. Closed means that once the vehicle is started, the battery is no longer needed to provide any sort of power to the system. Modern vehicles use a closed system that has the battery as an integral part of the electrical system and can even cause a car to suddenly shut down in the midst of driving.

My first experience with this was around 2007 when my then wife's truck just stopped in the middle of an intersection and we had to get a tow truck to get it home. The tow truck driver mentioned the battery, and I laughed because I had always been of the belief that, once a car is started, it is good to go, battery doesn't matter. He replied "Uh, no, that's not how this works anymore, get that battery checked out first, it's the easiest and most likely thing to fail". Sure enough he was right.

New battery and the truck ran perfect.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thank you for the info, I did not know that. However, I just put a new battery in and I'm still getting nothing...

I'm going to post in the SRT Problems & Dealer Service and see what I get there.
Did you say you tested the grounds from the head to the engine mount and the transmission mount to battery? are the clamps in bad shape or are they clean and bright?

did you ever find the source of the current drain?

·
Registered
2005 Neon SRT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you say you tested the grounds from the head to the engine mount and the transmission mount to battery? are the clamps in bad shape or are they clean and bright?

did you ever find the source of the current drain?

I didn't test them, but I'm going to borrow a tester from a friend and see if I can find the drain.

I replaced the ground wire that goes from the passenger-side strut area to the engine because it looked frayed.

I'm also going to try disconnecting the PCM to see if maybe the connections are bad/dirty? Do you think maybe that could be a problem, or that it needs to be replaced entirely?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I didn't test them, but I'm going to borrow a tester from a friend and see if I can find the drain.

I replaced the ground wire that goes from the passenger-side strut area to the engine because it looked frayed.

I'm also going to try disconnecting the PCM to see if maybe the connections are bad/dirty? Do you think maybe that could be a problem, or that it needs to be replaced entirely?
The no power anywhere has got to be either a main power or ground. If you flip the key and nothing comes on. That points to the area between the battery and the PDC or the battery and ground.

If you turn the key on and you get a responsive dash but no crank, it can be a engine ground, or battery ground.

I may be conflating two different posts. I wish tapatalk worked a different way so i could see the entire exchange.

·
Registered
2005 Neon SRT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The no power anywhere has got to be either a main power or ground. If you flip the key and nothing comes on. That points to the area between the battery and the PDC or the battery and ground.

If you turn the key on and you get a responsive dash but no crank, it can be a engine ground, or battery ground.

I may be conflating two different posts. I wish tapatalk worked a different way so i could see the entire exchange.

Thank you, that helps me narrow it down. I'll see what I find this weekend.

Also, going to try posting a picture... I disconnected the PCM and found oil in the connections. What do you think the chances are I could get away with cleaning them off? I'm thinking I'm about to have to buy a new one...
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thank you, that helps me narrow it down. I'll see what I find this weekend.

Also, going to try posting a picture... I disconnected the PCM and found oil in the connections. What do you think the chances are I could get away with cleaning them off? I'm thinking I'm about to have to buy a new one...
View attachment 147921 View attachment 147922
Isopropyl acohol, 99% is the best but i've used 90 and gotten away with it. You can also use some Deoxit... They sell cans of pressurized IPA at ACE. Or get some QD Electronic connector cleaner at any parts store.

But the bigger question is How did oil get there? is there no gasket?

·
Registered
2005 Neon SRT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Isopropyl acohol, 99% is the best but i've used 90 and gotten away with it. You can also use some Deoxit... They sell cans of pressurized IPA at ACE. Or get some QD Electronic connector cleaner at any parts store.

But the bigger question is How did oil get there? is there no gasket?
Tried isopropyl, got it nice and clean but no dice.

Meant to look for electrical drain, but got too busy this week.

As for the oil, I took off the valve cover and the gasket looks fine. However, I found the spring from the pcv valve bouncing around the inside of the valve cover... my assumption is the oil had something to do with that...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Tried isopropyl, got it nice and clean but no dice.

Meant to look for electrical drain, but got too busy this week.

As for the oil, I took off the valve cover and the gasket looks fine. However, I found the spring from the pcv valve bouncing around the inside of the valve cover... my assumption is the oil had something to do with that...
But how did the oil get from the valve cover to the connector?

·
Registered
2005 Neon SRT4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But how did the oil get from the valve cover to the connector?
I don't know, it looks like oil dripped down the cables into the connector. It only made it into 1 out of the 3 (the white one).

There's oil in a bunch of other places, I can't find the source. Hoping to work some more on it next week.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I don't know, it looks like oil dripped down the cables into the connector. It only made it into 1 out of the 3 (the white one).

There's oil in a bunch of other places, I can't find the source. Hoping to work some more on it next week.
From what I've seen, sometimes it may be oil from non-stock BOV screaming down in that area. Just clean the oil, and see if you can do something about catching the oil, such as via inline the PVC. I wouldn't be surprised is it was just a stain from a Sierra Nevada spill :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts