Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first neon SRT4 about 3 weeks ago, my first project/fun car. It drove well for about a week(and I love the car), but the other week as I changed from reverse to first out of the driveway, the car wouldn't go into gear. It would pop out or just not go into gear (did not grind at all). After that happened, I turned the car off, and shortly after I tried to start the car. The car would not start, so I assumed something was causing the clutch not to engage. Looked at what may be wrong and it looked as if the master/slave cylinder could be messed up. Put in a new master and slave cylinder and new line, and everything is good there. But the car still won't start. Battery is good, tested the starter and it works well, red and black connectors to the starter look good, made sure the clutch safety switch was being pushed in, checked relays and tried switching them around. Is something else up with the clutch or is there a starter-related issue? Did more than one thing break when my car wouldn't go into gear? I'm befuddled, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
Considering this all happened at the same time, I'd have to think somehow your clutch safety switch is acting up. I can't really think of much else drivetrain related that would cause the car not to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering this all happened at the same time, I'd have to think somehow your clutch safety switch is acting up. I can't really think of much else drivetrain related that would cause the car not to start.
I tried a little messing around with the clutch switch today. When the clutch is pushed in and I try to start, you can hear the relay click. When the clutch is out and I try to start there’s no click. Assuming that means the switch is alright. Tried that switch override paper clip method but that didn’t seem to work either

·
Super Moderator
16,140 Posts
Hmm, that would indicate that the SKIM would be working, if it's sending a signal past the clutch pedal like that, but I'm not positive if the SKIM is an entire system lockdown or if it stops the signal further down the wiring line so to speak.

100% sure all your ground wires are connected in the engine bay?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, that would indicate that the SKIM would be working, if it's sending a signal past the clutch pedal like that, but I'm not positive if the SKIM is an entire system lockdown or if it stops the signal further down the wiring line so to speak.

100% sure all your ground wires are connected in the engine bay?
the ground wire that connects to the top bolt on the starter seems to be missing. Not sure how the car was starting and working before that but is that maybe just now causing an issue?

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
is the starter turning over with the key or just nothing?

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts

make sure the little spade connector is connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is the starter turning over with the key or just nothing?
Nope, no turn over, no start, nothing. Been looking at wiring and doing all sorts of multimeter/test light things and all wiring seems to be fine. Just getting more confused, ha

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Nope, no turn over, no start, nothing. Been looking at wiring and doing all sorts of multimeter/test light things and all wiring seems to be fine. Just getting more confused, ha
Power to the rest of the car okay? Radio, lights etc…

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the key is cranked, you can hear the relay click once but there’s no click or noise coming from the starter

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
yee.. you should check this post from gump1114, and also check the solenoids in your fuse box, sounds like a fuse or solenoid is shot
right... that's why I asked about power to other accessories. I had the same thing happen to me when I did my last clutch and it was that spade connector wasn't attached. super simple fix... for me anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts