Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a srt4 03 and i drove to get the car in ohio they car drove decent but it had a high idle issue when driving . Its almost as if the car had cruise control on the highway and would keep the throttle open and then when I went to slowdown it idled very high for 3-5 seconds and then stopped. I was almost home when something very weird happened out of no where when i slowed down and stopped the car was VERY hard to get going it sputtered and backfired and almost stalled during this time i could here boost just exiting the bov but after i got the car moving faster those symptom's just went away until i stopped and started moving again. Would anyone know what these could be symptoms of?

·
Registered
100 Posts
High idle and 'cruise control' like symptoms are typically indicative of a vacuum leak. Trying to stall at idle somewhat points to your IAC sensor (idle air control), but this doesn't fully fit due to the backfire / bov comments. I think your best place to start would be a visual inspection of all of your vacuum lines followed by a boost leak test.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
while the car is idling, wiggle the wiring harness that goes to the throttle body and see if the idle changes.

Reactions: fixit

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
125000 the short block was replaced with a ported one and fitted with hks internals so im not exactly sure it has new cams as well
To the best of my knowledge HKS has never sold internals for our engines....

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
125000 the short block was replaced with a ported one and fitted with hks internals so im not exactly sure it has new cams as well
What is a ported short block? I didn't know HKS made internals for the SRT Engine.. Not that I know every manufacturer or product. lol.

I would do a leak test and see if you have an air leak, Also a compression test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is a ported short block? I didn't know HKS made internals for the SRT Engine.. Not that I know every manufacturer or product. lol.

I would do a leak test and see if you have an air leak, Also a compression test.
sorry I’m still learning car stuff I think the entire engine was ported , but weird lol I guess the guy said his uncle took the engine out and did all the stuff themselves but I mean he could been talking out his @@@ lol

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
sorry I’m still learning car stuff I think the entire engine was ported , but weird lol I guess the guy said his uncle took the engine out and did all the stuff themselves but I mean he could been talking out his @@@ lol
Ok. Thats fair.

Porting involves enlarging the intake and exhaust ports to enhance flow. More air in and out equals more power.

Cylinders are contained in the cylinder block, they have a diameter, called a bore and a length called a stroke. generally the larger the bore and longer the stroke, the more power you can get out of the engine. Making the diameter larger, is called boring, making the piston travel farther in the bore is called stroking the engine. Since engines are rated by displacement, which is the bore multiplied by stroke by the number of cylinders, the same principle applies, the more displacement an engine has, generally the more power it can make.

HKS is a popular import car parts maker, they dont do much with domestic designs.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts