Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I call and start getting price quotes, does anyone no about how much it will cost to repaint the front bumper of our cars??

I ran over a bag of grass clippings that fell off a city worker truck into the middle of the road. The bumper has been painted before (but was previously covered by insurance since someone else hit our front bumper) and obviously it was a pretty shitty paint job, b/c the bag of grass that I hit cut clear through a lot of the paint on the bumper. So right now I can see little paint chips here and there. :buah:

So back to my question. What is a good ballpark figure for just a bumper paint job.

thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i think it would be WAYY cheaper to paint a fender than bumper.......I was quoted 200-300 for just clearing a CF hood (although that is a pretty high price I think)

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you want to save some money, then you need to remove it yourself and bring it in as a single piece. It requires less masking and prep time by the bodyshop guys. They will charge ya $65/hr for their time, or you can spend a little time up front and save cash later. Just depends how much your time is worth to you I guess.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I recall my bumper costing around $350 to paint and that was with it removed. Definitely remove the bumper though!

-Nic

·
Registered
166 Posts
Unfortunately your bumper will have to be stripped down...that is if I heard you correctly about it being repainted once before. If you are going to keep the car then you will need to do it right. Otherwise it will spider crack and then eventually peel. I think the $350 estimate above is on target for what you will pay. Ask the shop if they are going to strip it, if they are not then I would walk.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I would call your city planner about paying you for it........I had a similar situation and got the city to pay me $1100 for a few scratches.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
just remove it and get some fine sand paper, and strip it yourself. its not that hard really. just takes time. go to an econo paint place, they now use factory paint. and if they mess up they will do it again free of charge. $300 tops

·
Registered
961 Posts
ricekiller said:
just remove it and get some fine sand paper, and strip it yourself. its not that hard really. just takes time. go to an econo paint place, they now use factory paint. and if they mess up they will do it again free of charge. $300 tops
Damn ricekilla not bad ..i have rear damage the same night i got my windows tinted :flame:

·
Registered
54 Posts
if this will be your second painting, just get a new bumper and cruise to a few bodyshops or go to your dealer and ask who does their mobile recon work. if they have a mobile dude, get in touch with him and find out how much it'd be and check out some of the work he's done on the used car lot at your dealership.

or... strip your bumper if you want. i wouldn't recommend it unless you are completely tapped for cash.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yea, i just got a new front bumper that came in primered black..and need to get it painted..would it cost just the same to get painted or less cus the prep work is already done?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are all very good ideas. Thanks for the input.

I will definitely remove the bumper and just take it to some dealers. I have one in mind, but not sure what they will charge me.

$350 is not bad if they do it correctly and not half ass like the last dealer that painted it.

Regarding the one comment about calling the city planner:
I can see how that may work in a smaller town, but I have a feeling they would just laugh at me if I told them this. Because I am sure they would want some sort of proof that it was their fault, and I didn't have an opportunity to stop and take pictures since i was on a busy road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts