Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone, I apologize if I’m posting in the wrong sub forum. I’m trying to install a new starter in my sons 03 but as you can see in the photos below, I have a black ground wire coming out of the harness and the small clip that both connect to the starter……. Why do I not see a positive (red) connection anywhere? I’ve traced from the alternator and the battery but I don’t see anything 🤬 Anyone have any ideas?
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Helmet Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Nickel Auto part

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Wrist Nickel

Black Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal

·
Registered
33 Posts
Attached is the Starter wiring diagram from the SRT4 FSM.

There is a 6 gauge black wire from the alternator B+ terminal going to the starter.
There should also be a 6 gauge Red wire from the battery + terminal post going to the same point on the starter. Perhaps the red wire is under black plastic shielding.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could also check to confirm continuity between the 6 gauge black wire starter terminal lug and the positive battery lug. It is possible that the red and black wires are spliced inside the plastic shielding.
The black alternator wire on the diagram also shows a 10 gauge dark green fusible link inside the harness.

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Attached is the Starter wiring diagram from the SRT4 FSM.

There is a 6 gauge black wire from the alternator B+ terminal going to the starter.
There should also be a 6 gauge Red wire from the battery + terminal post going to the same point on the starter. Perhaps the red wire is under black plastic shielding.
Thank you for the reply, I think I’m going to have to cut the plastic shield around the wires and see what’s going on.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
the starter signal wires are prone to breaking/rusting, suggest pealing it back a bit into the harness and run a new one, soldered & heat shrink (its a standard speaker type connector )
the ground goes on bolt from the trans side (make sure to clean cable and trans connection
pos goes to the starter

Reactions: snobrdrdan2

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the starter signal wires are prone to breaking/rusting, suggest pealing it back a bit into the harness and run a new one, soldered & heat shrink (its a standard speaker type connector )
the ground goes on bolt from the trans side (make sure to clean cable and trans connection
pos goes to the starter
fixit, thank you for the advice. I will do that this afternoon when I get off from work. The funny thing is that as much as I may sound like a noob I've actually replaced more starters than I care to count. This is the first SRT-4 that I've ever worked on. My son blew up his clutch a few weeks ago and I ended up having to replace his tranny and clutch along with all the seals and bearings ugggh! I had everything done until the starter and just completely baffled as to where that pos wire could be, but it was 10:00 and I was dead last night. I'll update this afternoon, again thank you for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
16,961 Posts
fixit, thank you for the advice. I will do that this afternoon when I get off from work. The funny thing is that as much as I may sound like a noob I've actually replaced more starters than I care to count. This is the first SRT-4 that I've ever worked on. My son blew up his clutch a few weeks ago and I ended up having to replace his tranny and clutch along with all the seals and bearings ugggh! I had everything done until the starter and just completely baffled as to where that pos wire could be, but it was 10:00 and I was dead last night. I'll update this afternoon, again thank you for the advice!
The starter location is a pain in the keester due to the way the brackets are situated, not fun.

Just pray you won't ever have to switch out the alternator :D

Although, if you did the transmission you are already beyond that haha.

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The starter location is a pain in the keester due to the way the brackets are situated, not fun.

lmbo @

[email protected], you’re absolutely right on the starter location facepalm This is a fun car that my kid has, but seriously I think a 5yr old could have designed a better engine compartment 😂 I’m so tired of reaching through wires blindly with one hand and trashing my hands reaching components. Nothing is easy on this car…..

·
Super Moderator
16,961 Posts
lmbo @

[email protected], you’re absolutely right on the starter location facepalm This is a fun car that my kid has, but seriously I think a 5yr old could have designed a better engine compartment 😂 I’m so tired of reaching through wires blindly with one hand and trashing my hands reaching components. Nothing is easy on this car…..
You have to remember, this was a design put in place that had to be done at the lowest price point imaginable. Even though the design/engineering/build was 20 to 25 years ago now, the idea that they got this car out the door for 20k is still incredible, considering just how stout the engine ended up being.

But in doing so, yes, a lot of the items that aren't so bad to work on with a regular Neon, the go fast stuff on the SRT4 ends up blocking/overlapping/hindering etc the same items.

(still worth it though heh heh heh)

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to remember, this was a design put in place that had to be done at the lowest price point imaginable. Even though the design/engineering/build was 20 to 25 years ago now, the idea that they got this car out the door for 20k is still incredible, considering just how stout the engine ended up being.

But in doing so, yes, a lot of the items that aren't so bad to work on with a regular Neon, the go fast stuff on the SRT4 ends up blocking/overlapping/hindering etc the same items.

(still worth it though heh heh heh)
Update I finally found the missing positive wire, it got tangled up in back of the motor. So I untangled that got it pulled around and connected to the top post of the starter, plugged in the black clip and ground the negative cable to the block. Put everything back together again, nothing….. no click, clunk no noise whatsoever. Now the red light is coming on and staying on indicating that there’s a security issue and it’s in shutdown/ no start mode 🤬🤬 I have no idea how or why that’s happening now uggg any ideas or suggestions would be worth more than the $1.37 cents I have in my pocket right now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Auto Shutdown (ASD) and fuel pump relays
are located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC).
The camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position
sensor signals are sent to the PCM. If the PCM
does not receive the signal within approximately 1
second of engine cranking, it deactivates the ASD
relay and fuel pump relay. When these relays are
deactivated, power is shut off from the fuel injectors,
ignition coils, oxygen sensor heating elements and
fuel pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Auto Shutdown (ASD) and fuel pump relays
are located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC).
The camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position
sensor signals are sent to the PCM. If the PCM
does not receive the signal within approximately 1
second of engine cranking, it deactivates the ASD
relay and fuel pump relay. When these relays are
deactivated, power is shut off from the fuel injectors,
ignition coils, oxygen sensor heating elements and
fuel pump.
Retro_1850 Thank you so much for the detailed info! I'm not sure that's the problem, but as soon as I get done at work I am going to head home and take a look. Hopefully it's something relatively inexpensive to fix, notice I didn't say "easy." I've painstakingly learned that nothing on the SRT is easy to repair or replace. 😂 I'll update as soon as I am able,
thank you again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts