Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll keep it short and sweet. I’ve searched many threads and still can not determine the issue.

Recently purchased an 04 SRT4 that was neglected. Been in the process on restoring it and getting it running right.

Main issue is:
Upon deceleration, white smoke forms a cloud out of the exhaust. Not during acceleration or WOT. Not even idle, only after revving it.
I’ve changed/checked the oil, and checked the coolant. Does not seem to be a head gasket issue. No sweet coolant smell from the smoke.

Seems as if it’s running RICH. Checked spark plugs after letting it idle: cyl 2, 3, & 4 plugs were wet with gas. Little droplets of gas accumulate at the tips of the exhaust pipe.

Honestly I’m lost as to what is causing this issue. Only mods are K&N intake, 3” exhaust and catless downpipe.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

- Evan

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
May not be the issue, but i would consider replacing the PCV. Super easy to do, and cheap. If the PCV is not opening like it should, the pressure can build up, and can cause oil blow-by past the rings and into the combustion chamber.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Also, welcome to the forums, and thank you for attempting to search BEFORE you posted!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May not be the issue, but i would consider replacing the PCV. Super easy to do, and cheap. If the PCV is not opening like it should, the pressure can build up, and can cause oil blow-by past the rings and into the combustion chamber.
Also, welcome to the forums, and thank you for attempting to search BEFORE you posted!
Thanks! Been lurking on here for some time now but figured I better make an account.
Thanks for the suggestion, any input is appreciated.

I recently restored and painted my valve cover, maybe removing/reinstalling the PCV valve is causing my issue. Will order a new one from MPx. Got an oil catch can on the way as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Checked PCV
Does not fully seal when air is blown into it from the output side. Leaks a decent amount. In the process of ordering a new one. Will update when new one is installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced PCV. Definitely helped but it’s seems that was not the main issue.

Went for a test drive and still white smoke only on deceleration.

Anyone with any suggestions or know how on this issue please speak up! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
Have you done a compression check? That does not tell you everything but it is on the checklist. Are you losing coolant or oil?
The plugs were wet you said, from gas? Then you could have leaky injectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you done a compression check? That does not tell you everything but it is on the checklist. Are you losing coolant or oil?
The plugs were wet you said, from gas? Then you could have leaky injectors.
Thanks for the response @HybridKid , I've checked just about everything externally. I will be pulling the fuel rail and injectors soon to inspect and possibly have them flow tested. After that I plan to do a compression test.
Coolant and oil have both been recently changed, been monitoring them and no major change in amounts.
Plugs were wet when they were pulled, misfires due to being so rich when started.

Will update after testing a few more things.

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
Don't wait too long, if the injectors are leaking that badly the gas will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls and mess up the rings, it can also cause the oil to thin out causing the bearings to fail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't wait too long, if the injectors are leaking that badly the gas will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls and mess up the rings, it can also cause the oil to thin out causing the bearings to fail.
Definitely looking to avoid that, it won’t be running/driving before I inspect the injectors and do a compression check. Thanks for the helpful info.

Any way to test injectors?

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
Definitely looking to avoid that, it won’t be running/driving before I inspect the injectors and do a compression check. Thanks for the helpful info.

Any way to test injectors?
You can check if anyone offers that service,otherwise you’ll have to send them out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can you attach into the ODB port and verify the IAT & ECT are reporting reasonable values? It'll dump tons of fuel if it thinks your temps are in the negatives, or excessively hot. Although I wouldn't think it'd be enough to cause chemtrails.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you attach into the ODB port and verify the IAT & ECT are reporting reasonable values? It'll dump tons of fuel if it thinks your temps are in the negatives, or excessively hot. Although I wouldn't think it'd be enough to cause chemtrails.
Thanks for the reply @dirtbag , I did a Diagnostic just the other week.
P0073 - "Ambient Temperature Sensor High"
P0138 - "Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Voltage High" (I have a cat-less downpipe so I assume that's the cause)

The IAT looks like it's previously been tampered with, it was giving a reading of 73 degrees which would've been accurate for the day I tested it on. Beats me?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordering a new IAT sensor, connector, and wiring from MPx.
Let's hope this brings results. Just want to enjoy this car and take it for a cruise lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Catch can and new pcv tubing installed today. So that’s ruled out as not being the issue.
Pulled fuel rail and tested each injector. None stuck open. Still need to do compression test.

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
Catch can and new pcv tubing installed today. So that’s ruled out as not being the issue.
Pulled fuel rail and tested each injector. None stuck open. Still need to do compression test.
That's really how you check for leaks, the injectors have to be pressurized and tested for flow on a special machine. Cleaning is done at the same time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That's really how you check for leaks, the injectors have to be pressurized and tested for flow on a special machine. Cleaning is done at the same time.
Might end up sending them in or buying other stage 1 injectors. Bought a compression tester and new IAT sensor, will be installing and testing this week with results.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts