Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get an srt-4 and that is still totally the plan. It has occured to me lately that maybe Id have more fun taking out a $12k loan and trying to turn my '94 Accord 4-cyl base model into a cool car. It would be cheaper than getting $20k into debt and Id learn a lot from it. I do not want to do it though if even $10k worth of mods (Id have to spend $2k on basic repairs and asthetics) wont be enough to make it faster than the srt-4 is stock.

What do you guys think? I know this isnt a Honda forum but you guys know your cars so I thought Id ask.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey man...just save up for it...keep working...if your going to do something, do it right w/ no regrets. I would not suggest turning your Accord into a "performance" car. Honda's are good cars...the are reliable and very economical, but when you try to make them perform well, then they are not good cars anymore...lol...Just keep working hard...

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
meddle said:
I really want to get an srt-4 and that is still totally the plan. It has occured to me lately that maybe Id have more fun taking out a $12k loan and trying to turn my '94 Accord 4-cyl base model into a cool car. It would be cheaper than getting $20k into debt and Id learn a lot from it. I do not want to do it though if even $10k worth of mods (Id have to spend $2k on basic repairs and asthetics) wont be enough to make it faster than the srt-4 is stock.

What do you guys think? I know this isnt a Honda forum but you guys know your cars so I thought Id ask.
If that's want you want to do than go for it. I enjoyed modding my Mustangs but keep in mind once you start it's hard to stop & when you try to sell the car later you will lose every cent you put into it. On the other hand, I don't believe you have $20k debt on a car that you can resell for close to what you paid for it. The SRT will get you much more attention/appreciation from friends and strangers as well. Why not get it if you can afford it and have fun modding it instead of a car that's been around for a while? I'm sure you'll have fun whatever you decide!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See thats kinda the problem. I can afford to get the srt-4 but I wont really have any money to mod it until I graduate from college in a year. Im sure I would be more happy with a stock srt-4 and a warranty. Just wondering if its even possible to turn my weak car into something fast.

·
Registered
534 Posts
HOLY HELL...man go for the srt-4, its better to have one stock and use the warranty for the time you need to get money than to work on a worse car. Go for the SRT-4. I've read a lot of reviews from Subaru WRX owners that mentioned that they werent going to start modding their srt b/c it was fast enough...i'm sure you will think the same way too once you get it. After all, you are used to a honda accord, once you get in the srt, you will be blown away. Its SRT time for you man!

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
Stick with gittin the SRT-4 You WILL be much happier. This is a special car and you should not miss out on the inaugral model if you can help it. have not been this excited about a new car since my '67 GTO

·
Registered
726 Posts
meddle said:
See thats kinda the problem. I can afford to get the srt-4 but I wont really have any money to mod it until I graduate from college in a year.
That's ok...it will take the aftermarket awhile to get all the goodies for us SRT-4 owners anyway. The timing might work to your advantage.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
meddle, if you can afford a SRT-4, then get one. Here's the way I look at it: If you take out X amount of dollars to make your Accord faster/better, you'll have a nicely modded Accord that no matter how you slice the cake, IT WILL STILL BE A BASE 94 ACCORD. Cars in general are terrible investments and depreciate greatly. When you are done with college and you want to get rid of the Honda, 2 things will happen. First the dealer you are trading it to can care less about 10K in mods, all he see's is a 94 Accord. Second, You could be upside down in your car. That means the loan withstanding on the car far exceeds the value of it, so you would have to roll the difference into the new loan and the cycle begins. (of always being upside down, unless you pay a car off) There are 2 mods you can do to you're SRT-4 that are extremely cheap. The hood mod being one and a Grainger manual boost controller. That should hold you off until you get out of college. If not, on b-days and christmas, etc. ask for money or mods!! I got a family now, so this is what I have to do. I can't just go out and dump a G on a new exhaust, or Stage I, etc. Good Luck in whatever you decide, but don't look at just the "NOW," look into the "FUTURE" as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You have a good car to trade in or sell private. I dont know all your details but you should be able to get btwn 3-7 grand for your car which you can put down on the SRT-4 thus lowering your payment. I had a 94 Ex which was decent with the 5sp but no 5.6second car to 60. I agree w/everyone else that has posted, putting alot of money in a 0k car will never payoff down the road and the 7/70 powertrain warr. is cool. Good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
If I were you, I would NOT spend $12k on your Accord. I just test drove the SRT-4 the other day, and having that car completely un-modded for a year or two would be just fine with me. I currently have a '00 Civic Si, it was very lightly modded (its stock now). Im talking intake, short shifter and coilovers, nothing else. I still have a blast driving that car, and its probably got no more than 145hp to the wheels.

You lose money when you sell a moded car. No one really wants to pay extra for your mods. To be honest, unless your making $150k/yr or something, spending $12k on mods seems kinda excessive.

GET THE SRT!!!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately I dont think Ill get more than $2500 for my Accord because it has 120k on it and I havent gotten around to replacing the timing belt ($600!). Im 99% on getting the '03 srt-4, but I just have to learn to stop going out all the time and wasting money!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
meddle said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately I dont think Ill get more than $2500 for my Accord because it has 120k on it and I havent gotten around to replacing the timing belt ($600!). Im 99% on getting the '03 srt-4, but I just have to learn to stop going out all the time and wasting money!
Based on this info, the SRT-4 is a NO-BRAINER!! :wink:

·
Registered
175 Posts
meddle said:
$600 to replace a timing belt?? Your probably mostly paying for labor with that. I suggest buying a manual, then doing it yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
goslkhl
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing