Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new here on the forums!

So this summer I finally saved up enough for a performance car. I wanted something manual and decently fast and modable. I have my choices down to a Acura RSX type S and a srt 4. The problem is, when the loan finally went through there were ZERO srt 4s around, I really wanted one! Something about them has always amazed me, maybe its the sleeper-esqe feel to them or maybe I love the look. They're my guilty pleasure because here in Central Iowa, or at least in my town...SRT-4s are HATED. Absolutely despised simply because of the look. Its such a shame because I feel embarrassed to admit I secretly love them haha.

Anyway my story continues with searching for ANY turbo car in my area and I found an 04 WRX a little out of my price range, to make a long story short, I talked him down and now ive owned my blob eye for roughly four months now. I couldn't be happier!

The thing is, im a car enthusiast and there are SO many cars I want to own in my lifetime. I have decided this spring Im going to get my second performance car, im still young and want to make sure I own every single car ive ever wanted to (if possible :lol:)

Now, ive been working this whole time to save up for my goal and I can do one of two things:

Take out a loan for an Evo 9 which are VERY rare in my area.
or
Buy a SRT 4 outright.

Here is my situation: I am not a mechanic, I learn by doing things with my car club and by trial and error. How reliable are SRT-4s? Would you recommend them? Im not too inclined to own either car over the other, I know ill own both sometime in my life. What do you guys think? I think I could get around the whole "SRT-4" embarrassment of my area.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Welcome red rabbit! Both the evo and srt4 are great cars but entirely different animals. It all depends on what you want to throw money at lol. The evo will be a car payment on top of money for mods and from what I understand the evo requires a tune for any and every part you install. Having said that it is a great platform that responds really well to mods. The srt4 will be no payment and much cheaper to mod. I bought an 04 srt4 because I've wanted one since their release when I was in high school. I just happened to find a decent one for an amazing price and had to buy it. Ive now owned it over a year and big red has never left me stranded in the 30000 miles I've put on it. Im at 170000 now with only basic maintenance and I'm slowly replacing the old stuff with new when I get the chance before my build. Honestly you will be happy with both IMHO so It's entirely your choice. If you do end up with the skittle this forum will be your go to as any and everything you will need to know about srt4's is on here and from my experience so far everyone is super helpful and have years of knowledge. They have been a great help to me and will always be my go to. Let us know what you end up getting!

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Welcome!!
Both cars in their current life cycle because of what they are will probably have some abuse on them and will need work. The parts for those 2 cars will probably be the same cost when everything is said and done because of how long they have been around. The SRT4 were made in less numbers so the body parts specific to them can be difficult to find new and in good condition, this makes them somewhat more expensive than the EVO I think.
It is good that you already have a daily because either car will probably be down and not drivable as you fix their maladies.
The EVO I think probably has a bit more aftermarket support and things available because of the numbers produced versus the SRT4.
Personally I would be patient and look for either one that is stock, with low mileage and from an original owner. They will be difficult to find but not impossible and you will have to widen your search area. You really don't want one that has multiple owners, especially if they were young and was their first 'sport' car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Evo IXs are rare everywhere not just your area. Production was only around 8k in NA as opposed to around 25k NSRT-4s. For better perspective there's only around 8k Gen3 Vipers (03-10), how often do you see one of those? Granted they are for sure driven less haha... Will be easier to find an SRT-4 obviously but always hard finding a clean one since they are relatively rare and cheap so they get abused. Personally the Evo IX is one of my favorite cars, I'm always looking for one, just a better platform overall hence the price difference. Seeing how you already have an AWD 4cyl turbo I'd probably go with a different layout for your next car. You do get shit for owning an SRT-4 but that's mostly from people with slower cars :grin:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Buy what YOU enjoy, not by how much it's liked or hated. But if that sort of thing is important to you, the SRT4 has bonus points for being liked more by girls, because they think the Neon is "cute", especially if it has eyelashes installed. Wrapping the car in pink also helps. The Evo is a proven dude magnet. But hey, that's okay too if you're into that sort of thing.

SRT4 is ultimately cheaper to maintain and easier to work on. It gets better fuel economy.

EVO has the "import" tax on parts. (secretly I really like the Evo 8/9 styling - the X is god awful eyesore with a completely unfinished plastic'y front end). It's a safer car if you plan on accidentally having children.

Both are at the bottom, or close to the depreciation curve. So you aren't going to lose money in that front. The Evo you'll lose some in interest, and probably a lot due to insurance since it will require full coverage. At the end the Evo will probably appreciate more in value than the SRT4 depending on how long you keep it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick the SRT4 because car payments suck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I gotta say both communities, this forum and the evo forum, have been very helpful and welcoming! Ill let you know which one I decide to get in the spring!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts