Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend has been looking at this srt-4 clone. The car was a salvaged 2000 neon, and the guy works at an auto shop so he installed all the main srt-4 components like the full engine, transmission, suspension, exhaust and stuff. Take a look at the link, but i was wondering what some potential problems there could be. Anything that wouldn't match up or work right between a reg neon and putting srt-4 parts in it? Don't want my friend to buy something too crappy. Any input would be great. Thankyou

link- http://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/352477182.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
nomoneyforsrt-4 said:
So my friend has been looking at this srt-4 clone. The car was a salvaged 2000 neon, and the guy works at an auto shop so he installed all the main srt-4 components like the full engine, transmission, suspension, exhaust and stuff. Take a look at the link, but i was wondering what some potential problems there could be. Anything that wouldn't match up or work right between a reg neon and putting srt-4 parts in it? Don't want my friend to buy something too crappy. Any input would be great. Thankyou

Why would you pay 8k for a clone when you can spend 3-4k more to get an actual Srt-4?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Tell him no!! If he shops around he could probably find a real SRT-4 for not too much more. Hell put 8k down on something better even.

·
Forum Moderator
4,059 Posts
ElectricB_SRT-4 said:
nomoneyforsrt-4 said:

Why would you pay 8k for a clone when you can spend 3-4k more to get an actual Srt-4?
Yeah x2 on that

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He doesn't have the money for anything more expensive. Also would he be able to beat my in my 05 if he got it? I have 55mm tb, quickwhips df ic, intake, and 3" 02 housing. His car would be lighter right?

·
Registered
114 Posts
nomoneyforsrt-4 said:
He doesn't have the money for anything more expensive. Also would he be able to beat my in my 05 if he got it? I have 55mm tb, quickwhips df ic, intake, and 3" 02 housing. His car would be lighter right?
If you can afford 8k you can affort 12 for a newer/non rebuilt car. If he can't in truth, then tell him to wait and save more money.

·
SRTforums Member
1,589 Posts
You could beat him. His underbody neon takes away 125hp. Then factor in the ugly factor on that front bumper and he is running with Hondas. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow lol, is there anybody that thinks this is a reasonable car or should he wait? The thing is h is 16 and his mom is going to pay for it, and he has to pay the insurance. But she wont pay over 8,000. Are there better cars out there for 8 grand. I can imagine this would be a pretty fast car and a sleeper.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eviilboy said:
haha fuck yeah get it all checked out...

If it checks out.. buy it.. insurance will be cheap as hell too. :)

How would he get it all checked out?

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Please, tell your friend to buy a honda or something cheap. If he is 16, is this his first car? If so, i give it a thumbs down!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
killerSRT said:
Please, tell your friend to buy a honda or something cheap. If he is 16, is this his first car? If so, i give it a thumbs down!

He is 16 but this is his second car. He has an integra as of now. Hes never driven a manual though haha.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
eviilboy said:
nomoneyforsrt-4 said:
eviilboy said:
haha fuck yeah get it all checked out...

If it checks out.. buy it.. insurance will be cheap as hell too. :)

How would he get it all checked out?

leak down test

Have it taken to a mechanic that can perform electrical testing.

Hmm...So he should tell the guy to take it to a mechanic and get these tests and have the guy show him the results? Are those the only test or are there more that should be done?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Make sure you find out lots of details like mileage etc. The car has a salvaged title for one reason or another, make sure you find out that reason. If it was hit and salvaged chances are the damage didn't necessarily have to be a whole lot. Blue book on an 00 neon is probably about 2500 bucks, and 2500 bucks worth of damage really isn't all that much to be honest lol. Dude says he's willing to put it up on ebay if it doesn't sell, which means he's willing to accept less money for it. I'd make sure the car is mechanically sound then drop 6000 bucks on the table for him and tell him take it or leave it. If he bites, ya got yourself an srt4 at half price. If he doesn't bite, no skin off your back you can save up for the real deal then.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well seeing as how he is probably going to go look and test drive it what kind of things should he look and listen for?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I think you should drive it if you've got an srt that way you would know what to listen for

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ZeroCool's05acr said:
The guy can't even spell completed correctly.

Haha yes, i noticed that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts