Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 SRT4 and the car redlines on startup. Im scared to do anything with it. Anyone know any common causes for this to happen? I checked the throttle body cable and its definitely not stuck.
I unplugged the IAC and TPS and started it and it did the same thing.
However, when i unplugged the CPS it wildly throttled up and down backfiring.
Here are my codes.
Could it be a wiring repair needed for both IAC and TPS ?
Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your idle air control is goofed up, the car will not idle and may be compensating by overloading with fuel.
I took out the IAC and cleaned it and its still doing the same thing. Maybe I should try a rewire repair on the IAC wires and the TPS wires as well ?

It's scary AF that I can't even start my car without thinking it's going to blow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No. That picture at the top is for a 2.0 Neon engine. The SRT connectors are shown on the lower picture.
To clean the throttle body, you would need throttle body cleaner,. Also need to remove the inlet hose to the throttle (it comes up from the intercooler) but just the throttle end is ok. Enough to be able to see if the throttle blade is shut or partially open or wide open.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. That picture at the top is for a 2.0 Neon engine. The SRT connectors are shown on the lower picture.
To clean the throttle body, you would need throttle body cleaner,. Also need to remove the inlet hose to the throttle (it comes up from the intercooler) but just the throttle end is ok. Enough to be able to see if the throttle blade is shut or partially open or wide open.
Yes I've checked it the gates are closed. But to clean you talking removing the whole throttle body to do so ? Cause I cleaned the inlet to it only where the inlet hose was.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would not rewire the IAC. The job of the IAC is to modulate the throttle blade at idle to ensure the engine gets enough air to not stall. If you unplug the IAC, the throttle blade should remain closed. I wouldn't guess the TPS sensor either. We do not have an electric tb. The throttle plate moves via cable & spring. The TPS sensor only reports the position.

With this small bit of information, I'd wager a giant ass vacuum leak. Redline takes a lot of air. The car is getting it from somewhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As long as the throttle blade is movable by turning the cable mount and returns to a closed position when released, that should be good. no need to remove the throttle from the car.
If you have a way to clear the ECU codes, I would do that to see if the codes return. You will need to try starting it after the codes have been cleared. If the high idle remains, that may suggest some other issue. IAC valve problem or wiring connectors at TPC or IAC, or vacuum leaks somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unplug the IAC during testing to eliminate it as a cause. This should cause a cold engine to stall.
I tried starting with the IAC unplugged and same thing. Also tried with TPS unplugged and same thing. So maybe it's a wiring issue or sensor as a whole or both wiring and sensors. Either way I'm going to replace both then go from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok guys i took everything out and cleaned every thing and replaced both the Intake manifold gasket and the throttle body gaskets which were destroyed as well.
I also rewired the TPS.
I also JB welded the crack in the intake manifold to make the flange line up better and more flat with the rest of the throttle body (Temporary until my new Intake manifold comes)

It runs WAYYYY better now. However, now the car no longer red lines but it idles at around 1.5k-1.7k only code i get now is the P2074 and i checked my sensors on the OBD2 scanner and it shows throttle position is at around 16% at idle.

Also, there is smoke coming from the Turbo manifold area what does that mean?

Note: My up pipe is not connected to my throttle body currently. I also dont have my Cold air filter intalled.

·
Registered
681 Posts
#1 Google search. Check map sensor.

Code P2074 is an indication that the ECM cannot detect how much air is getting into the engine, or the system has restrictions in the intake air supply that restricts the air when compared to the amount of throttle that is opening.
I'd pay that idle no mind.

What's the tps in volts?

Smoke means something is burning. Check for leaks and turbo shaft play. My guess is oil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts