Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a spirited drive getting onto the highway, and then returning to a normal pace earlier tonight, I noticed a higher pitch coming from my turbo during spool.

Being in the middle of the city, I had no other option than to drive it as it was, but before making it home, a truck going way too slow needed to be passed, and after downshifting to 2nd gear going about 35-40mph, I had a little bit of boost, and then it completely stopped boosting all together...

Now, it's sound as if my turbo isn't spooling, and the max PSI I see on the boost gauge is 4 or 5lbs.

I checked my vacuum lines, and those were all fine.

My only mods thus far:
Waste gate acuator (Set to hold 18-19lbs)
Forge BoV
CTI Turbo Back Exhaust.
Custom (i.e. ghetto) SRI

If anyone could give me any insight as to what is wrong, please let me know as soon as possible so I can get back on the road. :crying:

Thanks in advance guys!

p.s.
If it IS indeed my turbo, what should I be doing about it?
(keeping in mind I don't have the dollahs for a 50trim for the time being.)

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Even if your turbo is blown, you can still drive the car, it just wont boost as high..

That being said... take your intake off the turbo, and see if you can see in there and see if the impeller blades are worn, they should look 'chewd up'. Those ared the impellors on the compressor wheel, however, the exhaust wheel could be damaged too (you wouldnt see that until your pulled the turbo out of the car though). (I find if you can't see in there very well, take a digital camera, put it in macro mode, turn the flash on and take a picture, then zoom in)

If its your compressor wheel you would hear, almost like a supercharger wine, insted of the standard 'turbo spool' sound.

The other thing to check too is for boost leaks. If you have a pressure tester, check out the charge system by putting some air in it and see if you got any major leaks. This would be the first thing I would do after you check your compressor wheel. You may just have blown a pipe off somewhere, you might hear a big 'wooshing' sound when you try and boost.

Also, I know you said you looked at the vaccum lines, but check the two on the turbo, and the one on top of the wastegate.

·
SRTforums Veteran
9,870 Posts
Im tellin ya!!! Usually when turbos go there is smoke from the oil.

Check the 90 rubber hotside that connects the intercooler to the hotside pipe. Then check where the turbo connects to the hotside pipe.

If its that pipe, you owe me $5. If its not, ill give you $10 :readclose

·
Registered
606 Posts
Kustomatix said:

Check the 90 rubber hotside that connects the intercooler to the hotside pipe. Then check where the turbo connects to the hotside pipe.

hmm, louder turbo noise, then suddenly boost goes bye bye, but with no other symptoms... can I get in on Kustomatix's bet? :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Kustomatix said:

were any of ur buddies or anyone u knew driving behind u when this happened? Cuz the only time of seen a turbo blow, my buddy was beating on his p.o.s. supra single turbo, and poof huge cloud of smoke black and even kinda blue, poured out of his exhaust... When we pulled over, i had tiny bits of oil on my car....This prob didnt help much, just my 3 cents...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
CT_SRT said:
were any of ur buddies or anyone u knew driving behind u when this happened? Cuz the only time of seen a turbo blow, my buddy was beating on his p.o.s. supra single turbo, and poof huge cloud of smoke black and even kinda blue, poured out of his exhaust... When we pulled over, i had tiny bits of oil on my car....This prob didnt help much, just my 3 cents...
ditto when i blew the turbo on my dsm.. plume of black/blue smoke ..

then voila no boost ....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, thanks for all of the help, it was def. appreciated,
it was indeed a pipe come loose...

but it was the piping the runs right from the inetcooler, straight to the throttle body.
Wouldn't that be "cold side" though?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
srt is backwards :clap:

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Ok, you owe kustomatix $2.50 since he was half right. It was an IC pipe. Same thing happened to me with my hard pipes. Hotside pipe blew off.

TheNewGuy said:
Hey guys, thanks for all of the help, it was def. appreciated,
it was indeed a pipe come loose...

but it was the piping the runs right from the inetcooler, straight to the throttle body.
Wouldn't that be "cold side" though?

·
Registered
279 Posts
kids and their ghetto mods...see where it gets ya.... you noob :tongue:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm packing something for ya this year my friend...if you ever do get your car running again... :kickinthe

·
SRTforums Veteran
9,870 Posts
SRTNOOB said:
I'm packing something for ya this year my friend...if you ever do get your car running again... :kickinthe
Youre going to need to pack something good, thats for sure. I bet its nitrous :lol:

If you were ever around you would know about my car :eveilgrin :grimrippe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ladies please.... Im sure both of your cars will be equally fast. What do you say we call it a tie and everyone hold hands? oooo right... gigity gigity!

On a serious note, Id like to thank everyone who replied so quicky in my time of need. Maybe someday i can return the favor. So since "thenewguy" is sitting pretty for the time being, i hope to see all of you at the mass meet / BBQ on saturday the 1st. Thanks again dudes.....

-nick

PS: corey's car is faster! :rofl:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Kustomatix said:
Youre going to need to pack something good, thats for sure. I bet its nitrous :lol:

If you were ever around you would know about my car :eveilgrin :grimrippe

You guys said pack. :lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts