Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I know this a very commonly asked question, but I really would appreciate some feedback here. I have dug through dozens of threads and searched continually, but I have a very insecure feeling on what type of tire I'm going to choose and haven't found enough info for months to make me decide on a tire with confidence.

The rims the tires will be mounted on are a 17x7, 35 offset. I planned on going with a 225/45 tire as to avoid any rubbing.

Here is what I'm looking for: I need a tire that grips well like the KDWs or better, so I'm not peeling out 1st - 3rd gear on the street/strip, but has a higher treadwear rating than KDWs, and is a bit more of a smooth and quiet ride. I don't need an all season, I drive like a grandpa when it rains, so just one that won't hydroplane while trying to drive on the freeway normally. I don't need a tire to do any high performance WET driving, just one that will keep me safe. This is probably most everyones dream tire, but if it's exists or you feel there is an alternative that does not fall very low of these specs, let me know. I'm looking for the most bang for the buck; the cheaper the better, but if there is a such tire that meets my specs perfectly, even if it may be a bit pricey I'd like to know.

I'm still on the stock KDWs @ 26000 miles and it's not a very good looking sight.

So far, from reading reviews here and on tirerack.com I've been leaning toward the General Exclaim UHP.

All positive opinions and answers are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I would think that the kwd's stick better then the general. You going for treadwear or sticky? Sound to me you want sticky. If so, Id look at a different tire. With a sticky tire, plan on spending at least mid $100's per tire and your treadwear will be around 300 or lower.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
The higher the treadwear number the lower the tires traction capabilities get. There is ALWAYS a compromise for a street tire. When it comes to price, longevity, performance, comfort, you'll always give up something to gain a little more of something else.

Here is a quick easy guide for determining what tire best suits your needs:

1. Set a PRICE limit. Buy what you can afford.
2. Figure out what tire SIZE you desire (as long as its within the proper limits of the wheel width and/or suspension components). Always important.
3. Establish what TYPE of tire will accomodate your driving style. (ultra hi performance, all-season performance..etc.)
4. Gather a listing of all the popular tires that fit all of the above criteria. (tirerack.com, discounttiredirect.com and edgeracing.com are probably the best sources)
5. If mileage is a major factor in your purchase decide on the minimum treadwear number you desire and eliminate those that fall short of this number.
6. Now that you have all of the most important factors out of the way be resourceful and research each tire that is left in your list. The two sites mentioned above have tons of consumer reviews and great descriptions on the tires capabilities. Use good judgement and don't over analyze every detail. ;)

·
Administrator
39,209 Posts
say no to the general

read the test that tirerack did, substatially lower in all dry category, not the best in the wet either, and that test was not against the best in the UHP category. The Kumho Ecsta SPT is a much better tire for only about $3 more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts