Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. Where do I start.. I'll skip the drama and bs that's happened since August of 2017.. and skip to today. Well. Quick back story..

I had my engine machined and assembled by a reputable guy who's been in the 4cylinder game for a while.

I had another guy rebuilt the transmission, mate it to the motor , and install in the car.. things didn't go as planned, timelines were not even close , things were said , I got pissed off and said fuck it, I'm going to get my car unfinished. ( Was about a 6 hour round trip )

Kw billet shaft
Carbon lined
Gears/springs
Sleeves
Pretty much everything you can upgrade or replace in a t850 minus 5th and reverse.

I've been chasing 2 leaks. One from up top, which I thought was VC gasket , even though it was assembled with new everything. Ended up leak being the CPS , and coated it with rtv, and is much better , but still damp some times.

Leak 2 was axle seals , those were all shredded as was the slinger behind the seals. Replaced those and cleaned the slinger, and all seems good..

This whole time I had trans fluid leaking, I put dye in to trace if there were anymore spots... Looks like alot or all of it is coming from within the bellhousing. And the majority of it is hanging off the PS lines by the cooler , and at the structural collar. Only thing I can think of is input shaft bearing/seal it looks dry around the fork , but no idea where else trans fluid could get in the case.. and I say trans fluid , and not PS fluid or rear main, because my blacklight is seeing the dye on all the leak spots.

#end rant. Just looking for an option or suggestion before the trans gets pulled.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And after wiping everything under the car dry last night with brake clean , I started it up and let it just warm up to temp... No leaks on the floor but once again, it's coming out of the structural collar , as it again went florescent with the black light.

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
if its leaking into the bell housing it can only be the input shaft seal or a crack in the case.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. I figured. Seeing as how I didn't do the work, I don't know how it all looks in there. This would be the first trans I've ever pulled, if I didn't have so much money tied up in the gearset, I wouldn't be as worried lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
If its the input shaft seal. It is replaced from the inside of the case. So you would have to take transmission apart.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. I know. 🤦 Just after ripping 1/2 the engine bay apart following leaks and doing axle seals lol..

I believe the seal is on the inside and the bearing that has to be pressed in is in the outside, correct?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah. I know. 🤦 Just after ripping 1/2 the engine bay apart following leaks and doing axle seals lol..

I believe the seal is on the inside and the bearing that has to be pressed in is in the outside, correct?
The seal is integral with the bearing. It is removed from inside the case. It is installed by pressing it in from outside of the case.
It's number 14

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The seal is integral with the bearing. It is removed from inside the case. It is installed by pressing it in from outside of the case.
It's number 14

View attachment 145926
How do they go bad? I did snap my stock input shaft, but it was a clean break. And for as many years as I've been on the forums, I haven't seen any go bad , even when the ever popular input shaft snap happens

·
Registered
502 Posts
How do they go bad? I did snap my stock input shaft, but it was a clean break. And for as many years as I've been on the forums, I haven't seen any go bad , even when the ever popular input shaft snap happens
I suppose if the seal was damaged it may leak. Hopefully if you decide to pull the transmission it will be dry in the bell housing. Have you checked the transmission fluid level to make sure it is not overfilled?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose if the seal was damaged it may leak. Hopefully if you decide to pull the transmission it will be dry in the bell housing. Have you checked the transmission fluid level to make sure it is not overfilled?
If the bellhousing was dry, I wouldn't need to pull it lol.

I actually hope it's wet, then I know where the leak is coming from.

I've already taken a boroscope in there , and with the pics I posted above, it doesn't make much sense. Clearly showing dyed tranny fluid on the inside part of the inspection cover, yet the Tob, clutch and fork look dry.. so I'm just guessing it's a slow leak on the input bearing I put in a total of 2.5 qts from dry and nothing came out the fill hole. Put in another 5-6 ounces in , and it started running out the fill hole.. capped it and moved on..

Not like this matters , as it wouldn't leak INTO the case , but there was no fluid on the vent on top of the shift plate either

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
can you get blacklight pics of the inside of the bellhousing? if that seal is leaking you should see a trace

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I tried with my borescope but I can't get a good angle in there because of the clutch fork

·
Registered
410 Posts
I tried with my borescope but I can't get a good angle in there because of the clutch fork
there always is the remove it and see method. ive had good luck with hf transmission jacks. and that bar that goes across the fenders to hold the engine up. ive had mine out twice, wasnt too bad of a job.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there always is the remove it and see method. ive had good luck with hf transmission jacks. and that bar that goes across the fenders to hold the engine up. ive had mine out twice, wasnt too bad of a job.

What bar is that? Can't just support the motor on a jack, with a piece of 2x6 on the oil pan?

I'll probably pick up a HF trans jack... Look to be somewhat descent.

·
Registered
410 Posts
What bar is that? Can't just support the motor on a jack, with a piece of 2x6 on the oil pan?

I'll probably pick up a HF trans jack... Look to be somewhat descent.
you can support the engine with a jack and you are going to have to drop the assembly down to slide the transmission off. but what holds the engine while you have the trans out? i dont trust jacks that much and id hate to come back to a motor hanging off its mounts cause the jack broke.

the bar is called an engine support bar.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gotcha. I actually just bought a new 3 Ton low pro Daytona jack from harbor freight. It's one of the best things I've ever bought from there. Their Jack's have always been great. As well as the earthquake xt impact.. both just as good as any snap on or Mac I've ever used

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All that said.... I plan on owning this car for a while. So an actual cherry picker / load leveler , and trans jack are already on the to-buy list

1 - 20 of 22 Posts