Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car was totaled a month ago on Mother's Day and I bought it back from the insurance company. I will be using this thread to track my own progress through this rebuild. I haven't had to be this patient in a long time, plus it sickens me to see my car the way it is, but I know rebuilding it will make it all worth it.

Here is a picture of what it looked like immediately after the crash:

And here is a couple pictures of how it sits right now:

My headlights came yesterday, my bumper came today, the intercooler will be here tomorrow and the hood any day now. So the parts stack is getting bigger and I'm supposed to get the frame pulled this weekend, so hopefully it will start to look a little better soon.

· Registered
183 Posts
You should really consider buying new wheels. i mean those other ones represent the past and you're moving into the future. so sell the tork champs to me and buy some new wheels. That's just my friendly advice!!

· Super Moderator, SRT of the Month, 2011 Calendar C
6,898 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Did you buy a new center tie bar, upper and lower radiator support? Looks like they would need to be replaced when the RF frame rail is pulled.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Did you buy a new center tie bar, upper and lower radiator support? Looks like they would need to be replaced when the RF frame rail is pulled.
Radiator support was ordered today, we'll evaluate the rest next week when the frame is pulled.

Since you posted in here, I'm going to ask you a paint question. I have always wanted to repaint the car. The friend of mine that will be fixing the car is strongly suggesting that I incorporate the black into the new scheme so the door jams don't have to be painted (saving time and money). I kinda had my heart set on completely changing the color, but how much am I looking at saving by not having the door jams painted? I'm not going to just paint the outside a solid color and leave the jams black; I'll do a two tone or something if I don't paint the jams. Otherwise, I'll do it right and paint everything but the engine bay (I'm perfectly fine with a black engine bay).

6,898 Posts
Black is actually the best color car to do a color change with, since you can simply paint the radiator support and the fenders and leave the entire bay black without it looking stupid. How much are you looking at saving? A very small amount to be honest with you. Unless its some crazy ass $300/pint a color that you are planning on painting it I think you're only going to be looking at saving a few hundred dollars by not doing the trunk and door jams. If changing the color is what you really want to do, then do it. And don't do it half ass because someone says its cheaper. In the grand scheme of things saving a few hundred dollars (if that) in the cost of an entire color change really isn't much. I say do it!! Now what color? :)

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had two requirements for picking a paint color and one hope. The two requirements are:

1. It has to be bright. That way, 85 year-olds in Buicks can see me and not pull out in front of me.

2. It has to be easily identifiable as not a factory SRT-4 color. So no detonator yellow instead of Solar Yellow.

The one hope would be to pick something that hasn't been done before. I thought I had decided on the new Hemi Orange Pearl (been done). Its a great color in person, but I don't think it photographs very well. Now I'm starting to doubt my choice. My other thought was the new B5 blue, but I don't think its a strong enough color for such a small car (strong as in manly I guess). I had considered the Crystal White Pearl off of the Mazdas because its a much truer white that Stone White and the pearl looks awesome in person, but I'm afraid it would look just like every other stone white SRT-4 out there.

So that's my thought process so far. This is 10 million times harder than picking wheels was. I'm open to suggestions.

6,898 Posts
B5 Blue has been done, Marrakka's SRT is that color:

Some colors that haven't been done that I happen to like. All are very different and "eye popping".

One color I think would look great on the SRT is the new Viper Snakeskin Green:

Another great color is the 2008 Viper Blue (not the GTS), its reminiscent of the Nassau Blue Vettes

From PPG's Radiance II Line/Vibrance, "Lion's Mane":

From the Prowlers, Inca Gold Pearl Metallic. This was actually the color I was leaning towards painting my car until I found the FM3 that it is now:

Retro Mopar colors are kickass too.

Sassy Grass Green:

LimeLight (much brighter and more yellow):

Tor-Red (VERY different than flame red in person)

Another gorgeous color off a 2002 Aston Martin Vanquish: Aviemore Blue. I actually helped my friend paint his Cavalier this color, damn its pretty.

If you want to search years and years of OEM color, this is the perfect link for that:
AutoColorLibrary Color Chip Selector

Or head to your local PPG supplier and look through their Vibrance line (all three stage pearls, flakes and candies.)

I will keep searching, thats enough for now. LOL

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
B5 Blue has been done, Marrakka's SRT is that color:
Yeah, I saw that and it doesn't help that I have a CF hood now too.

Some colors that haven't been done that I happen to like. All are very different and "eye popping".

One color I think would look great on the SRT is the new Viper Snakeskin Green:
I love this color, but can't help but think of this when I see it:

Another great color is the 2008 Viper Blue (not the GTS), its reminiscent of the Nassau Blue Vettes
I think that would look too close to Electric Blue, plus if I went with a blue I think I would probably lean to something closer to the GTS blue.

From PPG's Radiance II Line/Vibrance, "Lion's Mane":
Too close to orange blast for me (still a pretty color though)

From the Prowlers, Inca Gold Pearl Metallic. This was actually the color I was leaning towards painting my car until I found the FM3 that it is now:
Interesting color. The only other pictures I could find of it were on PT cruisers.

Retro Mopar colors are kickass too.

Sassy Grass Green and LimeLight
Green has always been my least favorite color on cars, so even if I like the color, I think I'll regret it later.

Tor-Red (VERY different than flame red in person)
Like the color, but since I plan to do something very similar to this with my hood......

Another gorgeous color off a 2002 Aston Martin Vanquish: Aviemore Blue. I actually helped my friend paint his Cavalier this color, damn its pretty.

Do you have any pictures of it on the cavalier?

Thanks for your input!

6,898 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it on there. The car never ended up getting finished. He painted the outside and never finished the bumpers or the hood. He traded it for a Scion XB.

TorRed really isn't red, its more of an orange, and actually its dodge color name is Hemi Orange. Its a reddish-orange. I do believe the SCCA car may be painted Hemi orange. Beautiful color.

Okay so green is out then. Inca Gold was only available on the Prowlers and the PTs, thats why its the only place you'll find it. And damn that neon is scary.

So if you were to do a blue it would be a darker richer blue? If you can pick a main color I can help you a bit better that way. We now know green is out, and most of the oranges are out too (since way too many people have repainted different shades of orange already).

I know it can be considered a chick color, but Plum Crazy/In-Violet. I still think that would look amazing on an SRT:

· Banned
6,386 Posts
If you want something that hasnt been done before on a srt4 I would do the inca gold pearl. Ive seen a plum purple srt4 before the guy changed it to a mopar green . Good luck on your rebuild and paint job. I did a custom mixed black to my sxt neon if you dont want anyone to copy and have a paint job thats yours do a custom mixed color . Cant go wrong there.

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The red on the lotus is pretty nice. My only concern with metallic reds is getting two much blue in it and it starts to have purple burgundy tone to it; I'd rather tend toward an orange hue. I know there is an inferno red metallic srt-4 on the boards here. I think what threw me off on his was all the carbon fiber and the black wheels made the color look really dark. I think that red lotus has pushed me in the metallic red direction. Now to look at some different shades.

This color is pretty nice: "Blaze Red"

· Banned
27,300 Posts
how bout Lexus' tigers eye mica....its a badass color on the dark side but badass none the less

· Banned
27,300 Posts
have always had this thing for house of colors Blue....its like this really intense blue with a hint of purple.....it looks surreal (cant remember which version of that color)

another is this Kobalt blue

· Banned
27,300 Posts
toyota's lexus division flint mica, simply red, glacier frost, royal saphire pearl, ohhhh

how bout a deep green?

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.