Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've decided to go with a Big turbo on my neon, but I refuse to pay the $2500+ for a basic big turbo setup. So I opted for a Holset (7 Blade HX35)! Dsm dudes have been running them for awhile, and my old 01' Cummins got decent power out of one so I thought why not. I found next to no info on this huge site about them so I thought I would quickly share... Here's some before and after pics of the turbine housing (12cm^ WG) and a comparison of my buddys Delta 55 .63AR. I also put a 1/8npt bung for a EGT sensor in future. As you can see it took a bit of grinding to hack off the excess material and then tapped some holes. Next was a real PITA the o2 housing which took a bunch of pie cuts and nearly 8hrs to fab.:flame:

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's more comparison of the turbos and my finished o2. I had to hack the firewall alot to fit it on the agp log mani, and I made a quick heatshield for the mani too, with wrap under it hopefully eliminate the vibes..

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shaft size is considerably larger on the Holset as well as the housing, which is not necessarily what I was looking to run on a neon. At least I know it will be durable. I rebuilt it and sent it in to get balanced too ($150).

Attachments

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), SRTotM Moderator
5,599 Posts
looks like its gonna be a slow spooler but fun as hell when it hits

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got some more stuff installed today, ebay cold pipe, greddy bov, godspeed fmic, and turbonetics wg.. Oh and I modded my batt tray to fit the 4" intake im making

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
turbo is ridiculously huge, sick man

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got it out of the garage finally. I originally hooked it up on pcm boost but I only had enough fuel for 10psi which it wanted to boost far beyond.. So now its running on the 9psi spring and i tinkered with the fuel mixture. So for now its running rich and hitting 9psi around 3700. I am amazed at how my power band has completely changed as this turbo does not run out of breath like the old one.. I cant wait to crank up the boost on this violent spooler!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Video link added! This was a 3rd gear pull running straight off the WG. As you can see the 12cm holset housing is not so bad for this setup as there is still some quicker spool to be had with tuning. I can't wait to crank up the boost after I get meth and injectors!

NOTE:My water bottle was next to the camera and it made an awful vibration noise..

9psi no tune - Car Videos on StreetFire

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Holset makes great stuff! Great aftermarket for the ford guys. :readclose: in for a 15psi vid

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I was about to put a HX40 on my 2g DSM till I got a great deal on a srt...now the turbo just sits here. Motor was built as well as the head, should've seen 20psi by 4,100rpm at least. I bet with some cams you could make that hx35 spool a lot faster...

Any details on how much firewall bashing you had to do? What are you doing about oil feed/drain? Holsets are really touchy when it comes to those.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was about to put a HX40 on my 2g DSM till I got a great deal on a srt...now the turbo just sits here. Motor was built as well as the head, should've seen 20psi by 4,100rpm at least. I bet with some cams you could make that hx35 spool a lot faster...

Any details on how much firewall bashing you had to do? What are you doing about oil feed/drain? Holsets are really touchy when it comes to those.
I had to dent the firewall in quite a bit with a hammer for the compressor and just a lil bit on the turbine, to fit my heatblanket. I thought I would need to cut the firewall for the compressor, but it actually bends very nicely and is quite easy to mold with a ball peen. As for the feed, I T'd my digtal oil pressure gauge to it and it sees around 60-80psi WOT, 25 at idle. So after going through the inline filter and the restrictive fittings I would think the turbo is seeing around 65psi WOT. I custom made a large 3/4" drain. I believe the MAJOR difference in these Holsets is the turbine weight and shaft size. They are, as you can see in the comparison pics to the delta55, alot beefier and heavier. Which makes it a bit slower to spool but once it spools it stays spooled better between shifts, which I have noticed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just put on my DEI Titanium/lave rock turbine blanket to try and help spool and keep temps down, and almost completed my 4" DIY intake. I am undecided on if I should wrap the intake pipe, paint it, or..? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did not half to hammer my firewall at all to fit my hx35. [email protected] no meth nothing. except crane 18s
Strange, maybe your turbine housing is shorter or maybe you have a different variation of the HX35? Mine is from 98-01 Manual Trans Dodge Ram Cummins (7 blade). I had to dent my firewall about an inch to give a figer-width clearance between the turbo..

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
HX35s have slightly smaller compressor housings I thought? 70 ~ 75psi oil pressure is max for a holset at WOT - minimum 30psi - at idle 25psi is perfect. The drain is what counts, 19mm ID which is near a -12AN, so 3/4s is perfect.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I just put on my DEI Titanium/lave rock turbine blanket to try and help spool and keep temps down, and almost completed my 4" DIY intake. I am undecided on if I should wrap the intake pipe, paint it, or..? Any ideas?
I wrapped the intake on my old civic with DEI reflective heat wrap and noticed on kpro's dataviewer that it dropped temps by 5-6 degrees. Definitely worth it

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HX35s have slightly smaller compressor housings I thought? 70 ~ 75psi oil pressure is max for a holset at WOT - minimum 30psi - at idle 25psi is perfect. The drain is what counts, 19mm ID which is near a -12AN, so 3/4s is perfect.

HY35's are the smaller ones, HX35's come in all sorts of configurations. And Hx40s have even bigger wheels and housings.. I dont plan on any more than 500 hp so the 7blade is plenty enough for my goals.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts