Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend is debating on the SRT-4...

A friend of mine is currently looking to get a new car and wants something sporty that's costs no more than $22k (new) or $20k (used). He is pretty much narrowed down to are the SRT-4 (possibly a used '04), a 1994-1995 Supra, or a used Evo. He was also checking out the 2004 Lancer Ralliart.

He is leaning away from the SRT-4 for a couple reasons. For starters, he currently owns a Neon Expresso and was caught up in that whole headgasket recall problem, which he said that Dodge didn't want to honor the warranty on. Therefore he has very little faith that Dodge would honor the warranty with this car either if anything happened.

His other concern about the SRT-4 is the handling. He was explaining to me how he rode in his friend's 2004 Mazda3 on the highway and the suspension felt amazing. He said that he is aware the suspension on the SRT-4 can be upgraded, but it would cost about $4,000 to achieve the same result. Is that true?

And finally he was talking about an inherent problem with the Neon body used on the SRT-4. He was saying that since the weight distribution on the SRT-4 is 60/40, if he is going really fast and has to slam on the brakes while turning the wheel (the slightest bit), that towards the end of the stop the momentum from the car is going to cause the back end to waver from side to side (or "kick out") a bit.

So my question to you guys is: 1) How realistic are his concerns? 2) How does the SRT-4 compare to these other cars?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
"if he is going really fast and has to slam on the brakes while turning the wheel (the slightest bit), that towards the end of the stop the momentum from the car is going to cause the back end to waver from side to side (or "kick out") a bit."

Uh... how often is this going to happen? Does your friend drive like a madman around unsafe corners or something? Also, AFAIK, the car is not 60/40, it's more like 64/36 according to sport compact mag http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0301scc_20gsdodge/.

Other than that, the SRT-4 handles reasonably well. What I like about it is the it remains reasonably under control even when it's sliding around a corner (don't ask, don't tell, k?).

I honestly don't think your friend is adequately informed. $4k in suspension upgrades to reach the mazda3's 0.87g rating (C&D rating - btw they also rated the SRT-4 at 0.86g, so making up 0.01g will not take $4k... perhaps a few hundred for strut tower bars).

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good info man. anyone else have some hard facts or personal experience to throw at this?

·
Registered
271 Posts
What you are describing is oversteer, and having the weight front biased as well as FWD cause the car to do just the opposite- understeer. I'd also like to add that I bought the car because of all the technology packed into this car- such as equal length driveshafts and an LSD (awesome for eliminating torque steer as well as good for handling), a fully independant rear suspension, it's relatively lightweight (esp. compared to the supra), an incredibly beefy tranny, a big (for factory) FMIC, a wing that is actually a little functional, a turbo cooling hood vent, a turbocharger, and finally a 4 cylinder with diplacement bigger than some sixes!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
If this guy is/has looking at a Lancer Ralliart, Please advise him not to buy an SRT4. EVER!

·
Registered
678 Posts
it sounds like he wants more of a corner carver and isn't to concerned with going insanely fast in a straight the lancer rally art i've heard is amazing through corners...

the mazda 3 is also a great cornering FWD car

and have him look up some of the suspension components at a junkyard on a neon ACR and the steering box and linkage from the same car ...doing that will make it an AMAZING car through the twisties...and couple that with all the torque with a stage 1 and your friend will be all smiles...

also about the warranty issue just tell him that it's under new management theres virtually nothing left from the old management that left him shafted with the head gasket problems

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spending $20-$22000...Buy a nice used Mits 3000GT VR4 for @ $8000--spend 12 on upgrades (aftermarket turbos, tranny, heads, suspension, etc) and have one killer ride (which will probably also run low 10's in the 1/4)...If he is just dead set on not getting a SRT4, which I know several people who have them and love them......and this is all coming from a mustang guy......

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Tell him to buy the SRT-4, he will love it to death *note, that was sarcasm*

·
Registered
215 Posts
ryedizzel said:
A friend of mine is currently looking to get a new car and wants something sporty that's costs no more than $22k (new) or $20k (used). He is pretty much narrowed down to are the SRT-4 (possibly a used '04), a 1994-1995 Supra, or a used Evo. He was also checking out the 2004 Lancer Ralliart.

He is leaning away from the SRT-4 for a couple reasons. For starters, he currently owns a Neon Expresso and was caught up in that whole headgasket recall problem, which he said that Dodge didn't want to honor the warranty on. Therefore he has very little faith that Dodge would honor the warranty with this car either if anything happened.

His other concern about the SRT-4 is the handling. He was explaining to me how he rode in his friend's 2004 Mazda3 on the highway and the suspension felt amazing. He said that he is aware the suspension on the SRT-4 can be upgraded, but it would cost about $4,000 to achieve the same result. Is that true?

And finally he was talking about an inherent problem with the Neon body used on the SRT-4. He was saying that since the weight distribution on the SRT-4 is 60/40, if he is going really fast and has to slam on the brakes while turning the wheel (the slightest bit), that towards the end of the stop the momentum from the car is going to cause the back end to waver from side to side (or "kick out") a bit.

So my question to you guys is: 1) How valid and realistic are his concerns about the SRT-4? 2) How does the SRT-4 compare to these other cars?
Tell your friend to read this article, and to get new swaybars + springs if he's a real cry baby. http://www.grmotorsports.com/srt4.html

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good feedback so far. anyone else have something to add? believe it or not, your comments here could be the difference of him getting an SRT-4 or not.

in other words, i need more feedback either telling him that his concerns are nothing to worry about, or that they are valid and what he can do to fix them (if possible). thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man, just to be honest.....overall the SRT's are bad little dudes...If he gets a new one, he knows what it has been through, and he can make it EXACTLY like he wants over time ie handling, speed, etc...not that it isn't pretty awesome out of the box, but always room for improvements...unless it is a civic-----yeah,,,right...........

·
Registered
757 Posts
I dunno why he's a little blah on an SRT, a frickin Ralliart?!!? (sp?)
He is very misinformed...you can't show me another sport compact that can lay down 400whp for $3000 and take the beating daily (30k miles here). Sorry he's had a bad time w/ an expresso but for gods sake, this is nothing like a damn expresso neon and shouldn't in ANY way be compared to it!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
If he wants better handling you're lookin at 1200-1500 not 4k. and it sure as hell will be way better than a mazda 3 not 'just as good'

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ryedizzel said:
With a decent set of springs and a larger rear sway bar...the car will handle 10x better then stock. There is still much more room (full front and rear sways, coilovers, camber plates, wheels and tires, strut bars..) for improvement.

150 for springs
140 for rear sway

less them $300 and you feel like its a different car.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts