Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passed 1000 miles, and someone finally thought they had the ballz!

So I'm driving down El Camino south at about 10:30, with my brother, sister, and my bro's girl in my car. A red Camaro with a young Fred Durst wannabe driving and a passenger pulls up next to me as we're cruising at about 35-40. He looks it over a few times, then revs his V8 hard a few times. Gets behind a bit, then comes up next to me, notices me look over at him, and takes off, thundering up about 5-6 car lengths. I drop from 4th to 2nd and fire it up, hitting 80 in 3rd and flying up next to him in a matter of moments. He looks over, as we slow to match his speed. We roll up to a red light, and he doesn't want to stop, keeps rolling about 1/4th of the way into the intersection. In an instant, he veers off down a side street and chirps his tires as he corners... guess he didn't want to try me from a full stop... :twisted:

My take on it is that he thought I was just a loud Neon, and figured he'd masturbate his V8 at me. When I caught his ass in a flash, he lost his hardon and peeled off around the corner. I know he was going to try me if the light turned green, but he must have shat when he realized that he'd have to come to a complete stop and couldn't take me at a 10mph roll... not like that would have helped his sorry ass at all.

No, I'm not sure if it was an SS or whatever, didn't look like it though... probably a 95 Camaro.

w000t! Where the ricers be at? They don't seem to want any so far!!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Careful there buddy, I thought the same thing, there is a huge difference from a stop, I got pwned by an LT1 with some mods. A roll, its not even funny I'm like where did he go? :lol:

Besides if its a 95+ its an LS1 and should hand you your ass in a hand basket, unless the driver is retarded or its an auto.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure it was an auto, my bro is listened to it pretty closely the whole time.

Definitely a V8 though, I know the sound well, but my old Charger sounded way better :D .

He may or may not have been able to take me, but I think he heard my turbo whistling as I reeled him in and didn't want to chance it. He definitely made like he was going to go through the light and then just whipped it around the corner on a split decision.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Musta been an auto V6 haha :wink: How many exhaust tips did it have?
1=V6 2=V8

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunno about the exhaust tips, it was night and I didn't get a really good look at the backside. I'm pretty certain it was an AT V8 though, at least about the V8 part. It didn't move like he was shifting it, and my brother said it didn't sound like it was a manual when he was revving it.

V8 for sure though, unmistakable cadence of a V8, can't dupe that with a V6.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Musta never heard a VR6 with a magnaflow, :D

If he wasn't shifting and it was an auto, what a waste of an LS1.

·
Registered
58 Posts
actually vanilla 93-97 were all LT1's, there are a few rare LT4's but very rare. i used to have a 94 Z28, and there is really no way to tell the diff between a 93-97 until u start looking at the engine and exhaust. 98+ are all LS1's and dependending on the year makes a big diff. in the LS1's. me on 19 psi froma roll a lid catback LS1 is a close race if its a 98-2000, from a dig forget it.

but anyways, i can take my friends bolt on 95 LT1 from a dig he gets me to about 60 then i begin pulling and by 100 im past him and pulling at a decent pace. and thats a full bolt on car w/nittos. he has hooker long tubes, stock ehxaust w/a 3" cutout(gains are about 2 hp shy of a full cat-back), an intake, and centerforce DF clutch. like i said i can take him.

my other friend has a geard full bolt on 94' Z28 and he puts a hurting on me from anywhere. he has 4.11's, gears make a world of diff. he bends me over and starts putting a hurting on me from a dig or highway. a kill on a stock Z is believeable.

ohh and and SRT-4evah an SS is merely an apperance package, the ram aim adds a few hp but its only like .1 faster in the 1/4 mile.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Vanilla_Coke said:
Besides if its a 95+ its an LS1
98 & up = LS1 :wink:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Vanilla_Coke said:
Yes because we all know that there arent ANY auto LS1s that run less than 10 no make that 9 seccond 1/4mi...wait....whats that...oh yes if forgot that most of the fastest LS1s are auto, and I also forgot that I know of at least 20 that run the 1/4 mile in less than 10 secconds in full street trim. :wink:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Quark said:
Vanilla_Coke said:
Yes because we all know that there arent ANY auto LS1s that run less than 10 no make that 9 seccond 1/4mi...wait....whats that...oh yes if forgot that most of the fastest LS1s are auto, and I also forgot that I know of at least 20 that run the 1/4 mile in less than 10 secconds in full street trim. :wink:
Oh god here we go again, how many street auto's do you see run those times? I shoud rephrase that, how many LS1 have you run against on the street that were auto's running those times?

Secondly thanks for correcting me on the LS1, I coulda sworn it was 95 my bad :wink:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Vanilla_Coke said:
Oh god here we go again, how many street auto's do you see run those times?
Alot. seriously, alot :)
I mean the car has been out for so long, the block is very easy to get power from, and the auto is the most consistent; i think that is why there are so many. Of course I love manual transmissions (just makes driving more fun), but if I wanted a 10 seccond car (or quicker) that could be street legal, you can bet your $$$ i'd be in an auto LS1.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Quark said:
Vanilla_Coke said:
Oh god here we go again, how many street auto's do you see run those times?
Alot. seriously, alot :)
I mean the car has been out for so long, the block is very easy to get power from, and the auto is the most consistent; i think that is why there are so many. Of course I love manual transmissions (just makes driving more fun), but if I wanted a 10 seccond car (or quicker) that could be street legal, you can bet your $$$ i'd be in an auto LS1.
Thats crazy, out here all I get to race are ricers... I rarely see a modded LS1 out here in AZ, maybe I'm alone?

·
Registered
516 Posts
If an SRT beats one of the new F bodies, the driver of the Camaro/Fbird should have their license revoked. The SRT is quick, but the big V8s are in a different league.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, ya know, I never actually said I beat him. I just said I "think" I scared him. He didn't want to go at the first stop light we rolled up to. He probably just thought he'd show off to the Neon with the chrome tips, and got scared when the turbo screamed up and I caught him in a flash...

My take... no way to verify...

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, the SRT-4 has a surge valve that vents into the exhaust piping (I think that's how it works), so it's not very audible.

But you CAN hear the whine of the turbo when it spools, it's pretty loud.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not necessarily. Some of the HIPO packages were singles (it was SS or WS6, can't remember which. I'm a Y-body guy).

VV

P.S. those crappy Autos (especially 2k2+) will turn 13.5s or better stock, street tires and all.

Vanilla_Coke said:
Musta been an auto V6 haha :wink: How many exhaust tips did it have?
1=V6 2=V8

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
Phoenyx
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing