Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
well after doing some thinking and reading about front end collisions with no crash bar i feel that the intercooler will absorb alot of the impact. i read and emailed some dude that got in a 50 mph collision with no crash bar and a large intercooler and said the intercooler did an awsome job absorbing the impact. as soon as he sends me pictures i will post them up. also spoke to my body shop guy last nght about the missaligned doors and fenders and he says he finds that hard to believe to to the upper rad support and other support beams behind the intercooler. before this thread turns into a never ending battle i would like to send a shout out to glhs(something) daleseely and alot of the others,:hi:

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
No battle Ray, just a few undisuptable facts.

A) Removing that beam DOES change how your cars structure responds to crash loads.

B) Without testing or some hardcore modeling it's immposible to state what effect the big intercooler would have. Since it does not bolt to the same points, it will not send that energy where the bar would for one thing.

Personally, I have not said anything about alignment issues. Don't really care.

Me, I use my table saw and my chop saw with the safety gaurds removed, a personal risk decision I have made. The only points Dale and I had was education. Amazing as it seems, a lot of folks seemed not to realize what that beam was for. And these same folks were getting advice like "Ah, the damn thing is useless anyway"

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
we had the bumper off the car we started analizing.

1. the thickness of the intercooler
2. overall intercooler area coverage
2. how the car was designed over all meaning other support beams.
3. we studied the stock crash bar. it is wide but is hollow inside

last but not least after talking to some pvo guys at the nationals they were talking about large intercoolers. they never mentioned the crash bar dangers. why ? also from what i hear they tested someones large intercooler and were happy with the results

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
See above, "personal risk desicion". They know exactly what risks they run. which is the point. INFORMED RISK ASSESMENT. Basing that assesment on knowledge, not assumptions.

Support the beam on either end, then hit it with a big pipe, then do that with your big cooler. The beam will most likely just transfer that energy to the supports. The cooler will bend, absorbing energy, yes, but NOT sending that energy to the siderails. It's about energy management.

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glhs837 said:
See above, "personal risk desicion". They know exactly what risks they run. which is the point. INFORMED RISK ASSESMENT. Basing that assesment on knowledge, not assumptions.

Support the beam on either end, then hit it with a big pipe, then do that with your big cooler. The beam will most likely just transfer that energy to the supports. The cooler will bend, absorbing energy, yes, but NOT sending that energy to the siderails. It's about energy management.
:clap: :clap: so you see the crash bar is there to absorb the energy. the intercooler will also absorb the energy.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I got in an accident w/ my car where the impact was right under the support bar and let me tell you, the costs were not cheap. It looked like hardly any damage aside from the bumper cover until you looked inside the engine compartment. The radiator was pushed back to where the fans were less than the thickness of a business card away from the motor(but not touching) and the whole left side of the intercooler and the bracket where the IC attaches to the frame(left apron) was folded underneath. It cost $3000 to get this fixed including new IC and PCM since it got totally bent. I was going 10mph when this happened. I could just imagine getting in an accident at 50mph with only an IC protecting your engine and the whole front of your car.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
sorry guys i just dont see how the 10 lb bar is going to do that much to help you if you get into a head on collision.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
does it hurt the actual steering-handling of your car, due to giving up some rigidity taking off the bumper... BTW where did you get that ic ray?

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JjkatxSRT4 said:
does it hurt the actual steering-handling of your car, due to giving up some rigidity taking off the bumper... BTW where did you get that ic ray?
honestly i doubt it. there are other cross beams on the car which help.

thats the agp intercooler very big , i love it

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Weight is not the point. Distribution of weight is. Heck the stock IC weighs more than a Large FMIC due to the fact that it is cast and it did jack to prevent damage on my car. The front bar distributes the force of the impact through the frame while a large Fmic w/ front bar removed will distribute the force of the impact directly into your motor and then into the car itself.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I wish someone would make a large IC With large I-beam at the top (horizontally opposed so it would be more of a H-beam) that connects to the front bumper support beam mounting points.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts