Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't posted much of anything on here but have been browsing the forums for a while..

Got my first srt4 finally after years of wanting one... I've owned maybe 10 neons in the last 7 years or so which were mostly sxt, se, or first Gens. I got fortunate with this srt. I had an se I fixed up, maybe had 2500 in it total. Ran into someone who owned a blue srt, needed trans work, but they needed a car asap. I worked out a straight trade, my SE for their SRT.

It's a 2004 electric blue with 116k miles and a clean title. Body is in great shape.

I pulled the trans and am having Chris Krieg of Greentown Indiana (I'm from kokomo, IN) rebuild the trans. The trans already has an AGP billet selector. The shift fork (3/4) is what failed on this . It is being replaced by a billet tabbed DCR fork for now, along with other typical t850 rebuild items.

Wheels that came on it are hideous. I bought a set of oem SRT wheels, which I will be putting new tires on after I replace many suspension parts and get an alignment.. also I bought a mopar short throw shifter.

My main goal for now is get the car to acceptable condition. Will be doing all maintenance; timing belt, water pump, idler, tensioner, plugs, o2 sensors, coil pack, plug wires, VC gasket, also doing all solid mounts. Once I get my trans back from Krieg, I will take the car to him for boost leak test and catch can.

I currently already have 2 other vehicles so I don't plan to drive this very much. It has 116k miles and the interior is in great shape as well.

Looking forward to posting more updates and owning the car in general. Seems to be a good community here.

That's all for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got the trans back.

Ordered a throw out fork from Ed Peters.

Pushed out of garage and rinsed off the dust. Still with old wheels.

Degreased engine and installed new timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler. Also started deep cleaning engine bay.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Great looking car. Way to clean it up. That trans housing is smokin lookin too bad it'll be hidden away. Whole car looks like a 40k mile car, nice save.

Sent from my Corded phone

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Got everything all put back together this weekend.

Car starts up and runs perfect.. but has some driveability issues. I was never able to drive the car before I pulled the engine because of the transmission. I took the car for a spin (transmission shifts perfect by the way), and the most boost I can get into is about 5lbs. I actually think a base model neon with 4 passengers weighing 300 lbs a piece could outrun me.

Going to take it in for boost leak test and also get a catch can installed. My suspicion is the cat is clogged. I replaced coil pack, plugs and wires which actually improved the performance, but still definitely lacks power. Vacuum reads normal at idle, and with car off the gauge actually reads above zero. Not sure what is "normal" with the srt4. I am certain all vacuum and solenoids are correctly routed and installed.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I have done some research and that's why I am leaning toward clogged cat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Above zero (on boost side) with car off. Going to look into it some more when I get home from work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Small update.

Did some trouble shooting and found that I had a broken wire to the TPS. Fixed that. Still had low boost and hesitation.

Noticed my speedo would intermittently drop out.. after some troubleshooting found a loose pin going into speed sensor connector. Fixed that. After fixing the speed sensor connection, my boost now is constant at 10lbs at WOT, so I'm pretty happy.

My boost Guage is presumably bad given the reading when car is off.. I am ordering a new Mopar gauge to solve that problem.. just a 30/20.

Can anyone tell me what stock boost levels are *supposed* to be ? Yes I have searched already and there doesn't seem to be a solid answer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh and the rims were 17s actually. I think I'm going to put the set of stock rims I bought on there for now.. and once I get all of my suspension parts lined up, I plan to get a set of XXR 530s. I really really like them.

For suspension I am going with:

Moog control arms, Moog tie rod ends, Moog rear hubs with bearings, Mopar front hubs and bearings, (Moog doesn't offer a front hub and bearing), Prothane Total Bushing set, BC coil overs.

I will post some more pictures soon

1 - 20 of 77 Posts