Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cerently bought an 05' SRT4, and dang this car eats a lot of Gas. I thought it was suppose to be 22 on City and 30 on Highway. Imagine me putting full tank of gas, then in less than 200miles its about 3/4 of the way already. Is there anything wrong with my car or this is just normal, the gas is really getting killed fast. By the way my car has 700+ Milage, and driven normaly at the moment. Thanks guys.

· Registered
4,517 Posts
R8V3N said:
I just cerently bought an 05' SRT4, and dang this car eats a lot of Gas. I thought it was suppose to be 22 on City and 30 on Highway. Imagine me putting full tank of gas, then in less than 200miles its about 3/4 of the way already. Is there anything wrong with my car or this is just normal, the gas is really getting killed fast. By the way my car has 700+ Milage, and driven normaly at the moment. Thanks guys.

Thats normal. I get around 20 mpg, 18 if I get on it alot. I get about 180 miles to the 1/4 full line. After that you can get another 50 miles pretty easy. When the gas light starts blinking at you, consider yourself warned.

I fill up at 1/4 tank, and its only about 9 to 9.5 gallons. The car gets reasonable gas mileage. Keep the engine in the 1800 -3200 rpm range and don't depress gas pedal more than a hair. (stays out of boost) You might get 24 -30 mpg.

If the cost of gas is an issue, I would suggest getting a different car. I knew in advance the amount of $$$ I spend on gas was going to double. I was getting 29mpg in my old car on 87 octane. Now I get 19 with 91 octane. The price you pay for boost... its so worth it.

If you really want good gas mileage put 87 in your tank. the PCM will pull boost and timing so quick you'll have no option but to go slow and use less fuel. I *HIGHLY* reccomend NOT doing this though.

· Registered
5,004 Posts
so do the 04s... and the 03s.

I get 180 when hits the red avg. cant stay out of it. oh well. 20k mi

· Registered
2,569 Posts
Sounds like good mileage to me. I am usually at about 150 miles when I hit the 1/4 tank mark. I usually get about 22 MPG...

· Registered
172 Posts
Don't drive with your windows down and don't drive with your sunroof open (if have you have one), it just creates too much drag and causes you to use more gas. :jester:

J/K what your getting is normal.

· Registered
3,675 Posts
Exhaust = more lean right? Lol. Gotta watch that. And yeah I get about 23 mpg now on 15,000 miles on my 03 with mixed driving. That's multiple pulls and driving aggressively to just driving normally. Not bad.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
you are probobly getting 22 mpg. You say its not to 200 yet with 3/4 left. When mine is on dead empty i can stil only get 10 gallons into the tank. I get about 230 miles when i need to fill up. So thats 23 miles per gallon. Easy math =D

· Registered
1,114 Posts
Dealership says 12000 miles to break the engine in fully. Expect a significant improvement in mileage when you get over 2000, after that, it improves gradually - almost not noticably. My spec V had a similar break-in period. By the end of it I was getting 24 mpg city driving, even tho I was getting 16-18 at first.

· Registered
140 Posts
Non Linear gas gauge

R8V3N said:
Have you actually refilled and calculated the mileage AFTER a previous fillup? Early cars like the 03's had a non linear gauge that makes you think it's using gas quickly at the TOP of the gauge range but then tapers off later. Do a fillup again, note mileage, drive, refillup and calculate. Probably better than you think because of that non linearity. Hope so, anyway. I noticed same thing on my first few tanks, but when I calculated mileage it was nominal. :clap:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.