Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@ my college we have a mustang dyno. Today was Like a home coming deal where once a year everyone brings up there nice cars and shows them off... Since im a student I get a pull for free... Waited all day to get on the damn thing... Saw some decent pulls... Including a couple all engine Honda’s that had close to over 200 whp and had some low 14 pulls on the simulated quarter mile runs.

Ive Only had my car 2 months now with about 4 thousand miles and only mods are the omniphill waste gate mod and ngk's... I know all dyno's are not alike but this one is a dual roller type and actually loads the rollers to give a real street pull feel. As I get on the kid asks me how much it weighs, im not sure to be exact and I tell him to check the door. his response is damn she’s heavy.. I thought nothing of it at the time.

So im all strapped in and take her to fourth a give her hell... read out shows only 195 horse and about 225 wheel torque... im angry... it seem to pull very slow an bog down with the boost jumping little higher than normal (she usually never goes upwards of 15 psi and it was pulling 17)... I was in fourth and did a pull from about 60 - 120. So being mad that a Honda pulled better numbers than my car I give her hell on the quarter mile pull. seems to be very slow again... after the run I notice she engine is way over 200 degrees on the dash. I tell them to aim the fan a litter better and soon as they adjusted it the temp came flying down...

Tried one more quarter mile run and pulled the same time 15.5. So me being the laughing stock of every one I walk off the dyno, very mad that an all motor honda pulled better numbers and better quarter mile runs than me. I know this is impossible and I can’t figure out what happened but I knew something was up.

As Im pulling off I hear the two kids that are running the dyno fighting about something checking numbers... come to find out the kid took the number off my door, MAX GROSS WEIGHT 3800 Pounds and entered that into the computer as the vehicle weight. This means the rollers were simulating my car pulling a 1000 pound load!!. Nothing seems to be wrong and she seems to be running good. Just worried that I might have damaged something pulling that much of a load, with higher boost than normal. O Well least I know I can run better than a 16 sec quarter mile pulling a boat... :lol: My fault I should have been more attentive to what was going on around me but I was so focused on putting the Honda’s to shame, and excited about my first dyno pull… Im going to re-dyno next week.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Your lucky you didn't have anything happen, I would have put bloody chiclets on the ground if that was my car and something had happened. Who do they have running a dyno that would think a compact like a neon would weigh that much?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Mustang dyno's are all known to produce lower numbers in comparison to dyno's such as Dynojets, and Dynapacs. They are very good dyno's for tuning purposes, but everyone wants to get the "big" numbers out of their cars and fail to realize the potential of the Mustangs. All dynos should be used to compare delta change between tuning changes such as aftermarket parts, such as before and ending numbers on the same machine corrected for conditions. The actual numbers don't mean much , it's the difference in gains and losses during tuning that is important. They are also fine in measuring power differences between cars on the same machine in same conditions and corrected as well.

In the end the mistake was really your fault, you told the guy to take the number off the door jamb, I doubt they know how much each car weighs.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
well, my bro's friend has a 200 whp all motor civic that runs 12.4's ... but thing is, it only weighs 1,950 lbs... so don't feel bad :)

·
Premium Member
9,893 Posts
welcome to the world of a mustang dyno...if used incorrectly it will not give accurate numbers. you had too much of a load. you have to know the approximate weight of your car. like 2989lbs etc.....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Those honda fucks probably said their cars weighed 2000 pounds to pull higher numbers...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also had a bad experience on a mustang dyno. I did some pulls on one at a car show. Drew a huge crowd to see my dissapointing 169whp and 299fpt. I pretty much told the guyz they were idiots, that dodge rates it from the factory at 230whp. They proceded to tell me not to believe everything I read. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. I did 3rd and 4th gear pulls.

·
Premium Member
16,989 Posts
I've talked to a few owners that have used a mustang dyno, and like nivo said if you give them the incorrect weight your car will produce very very low numbers.

Next time go to a weighing station and weight your car with a full tank of gas and use that number as your reference.

As far as the dyno with that resistance those are nice numbers though hehe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.