Dodge SRT Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
na, i was joking around about the 'track' drag radial, as deon said prior that they were track dr's, lol. I've been doing some chassis changes to get more traction & changing my power adders around to get a lil more efficient and better powerband...just wrapping a few things up and the new setup will be ready for the street.

The car will always be a 40-160 monster. Only went to the track to hit 10s in cali 1st and to show some of the local hater's that it can move down the strip if i wanted it to.

I use a different tire because the m&h simply isn't going to work for my needs. It's a 'small' big dr. For 450-550hp, itll work for people's needs. There are many things I need to address in order to get the best traction possible without having to pull power out (ie; BBG..the less you need to utilize BBG, the better), and proper tire selection is one of them.

I'm not discounting anybody, but traction isn't an actively talked about topic. Tire selection and doing the other necessities to get traction is a taboo, and a relatively unknown topic.

I'll give up creature comforts, stability, driveability, tire life, and lack of ability to drive around on the tire, in order for the best possible traction. My car is not a DD, and it's only real purpose at this point is to put on a clinic, on the street.

I don't see dr's as a "track" or "street" drag radial. DOT DR's are all intended to give you different levels of traction, on the street.

There's two types of DR's: Traction, and better traction. You pick the proper tire based on a) fitment, b) hp needs, & c) driveability needs.

both, the m&h and the mt 235/60/15 ET radial asked about, are great tire choices. You can't go wrong, if you fit the hp range stated above. Above that power, it's more than just tire choice that will get you traction. The MT is going to be a little more well mannered on the street because it is not a bias-ply. So you can air them up, drive, race, w/e...and they will last better to that of a bias-ply DR.

A bias-ply will hook better than steel-belted DR, if all else is equal. The difference is in the sidewall. They will wrinkle when some power is applied, and thats what gets you hooked and moving.

but on that note, the sidewalls are less stable, the steering feels more 'dead', and it's definately sketchier to drive on the street with.

For ease of use, the m&h are great. They are bias-ply. They are only 25.4". They are narrower. They are likely lighter. They will fit easier.

The MT is also great. They are taller. They are wider. They are steel-belted and can be driven on the street, and likely will last a lil better than the m&h s&s. Since they are a larger tire, rim offset/clearance will be more of a concern. Being 'low', 'flush', etc. will no longer be an option.

Hope this helps a bit.

Yes that really does help a lot, and I greatly appreciate it. I am in the same boat as you as far as what you stated above about your car not being a dd and not worrying about sacrificing ride quality.

You, and a lot of the other guys have brought up great points on this matter. In the beginning i was steering more toward the mt's since I see a lot of supra's and other big power cars running them. The Hoosiers for that same reason plus the lettering on them is sick:readclose:lol:

I've learned a lot more about the m&h tires and they seem to be a great choice as well, but until now most people I knew that were running them were only running them because of fitment.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
if white wall lettering is a concern, buy a stencil and some paint...can do it custom, and put deon on your sidewalls, :rofl:

what are your hp goals, btw.
what size hoosier is that? i could only find a 225 and a 275 for a 15" no 235

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Lol that's very true supra guys are like that. Very good point.

There are a lot more dr's than I thought. Since the mt isn't a bias-ply do you think the m&h would get better traction? Or does that only only affect drivability on the street?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hoosier Drs come in many different sizes in the 17" its 225,245,275 up to 335 I belive.
And a lot more in the 15-16".
The tire I have is non directional, so I put the white letters on the inside of the rim.

I ran the Mt 235/60/15 before on a 50trim, it rubbed like Hell and slowed me down. This was stock suspension with 5mm spacers. The tire is too tall without doing cutting and grinding so it won't, without coilovers. I decided to go BBK so 15" or 16" is a no no.

I suggest getting the best tire for your needs, without using spacers or rubbing.
If you run spacers get longer wheel studs to be safe. Rubbing slows you down and sucks up power, instead of putting it down

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Hoosier Drs come in many different sizes in the 17" its 225,245,275 up to 335 I belive.
And a lot more in the 15-16".
The tire I have is non directional, so I put the white letters on the inside of the rim.

I ran the Mt 235/60/15 before on a 50trim, it rubbed like Hell and slowed me down. This was stock suspension with 5mm spacers. The tire is too tall without doing cutting and grinding so it won't, without coilovers. I decided to go BBK so 15" or 16" is a no no.

I suggest getting the best tire for your needs, without using spacers or rubbing.
If you run spacers get longer wheel studs to be safe. Rubbing slows you down and sucks up power, instead of putting it down
Thanks for the info just looking for the best dr at a 235 size, but I didn't see that size offered so ill give then a call and I'm sure they will get me squared away.
Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Contact patch is very important for traction..
Overstretching a tire to fit on your rims might lose your contact patch (foot print)
On a 17x8 rim ,a 245 is good 275 is pushing it for drag Only. 17x9 or 17x10 would be better for 275
When you overstretch a tire, it means the rim width is too small. It makes the sidewalls bulge out, and can roll right off the rims. At high speed it can get ugly... So make sure you get the right rim width to match your tires.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
you give up sidewall by running a 17 inch dr....I'd leave 17 inch dr's for the V8 crowd that can get away with tall tires. At a certain level you want that 60 series tire and not the rubber band boys

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
you give up sidewall by running a 17 inch dr....I'd leave 17 inch dr's for the V8 crowd that can get away with tall tires. At a certain level you want that 60 series tire and not the rubber band boys
The 17" tires are not taller,@24.3" with the 225/45/17 compared to the 235/60/[email protected] 26.1"
Sidewalls help alittle, but the foot print and rubber is what matters.
In a Srt4 a 1.65 60' is great 1.7-1.8 is what most hope for, and these 17" Drs can/have done all that. So for my need they will be fine plus they have been ran @200+mph no problems.
Don't let the size fool you, hoosier run bigger than most.
My 225 are almost as wide as 245, so if o.p. is looking for 235 I would look at these. You can get it in 15" if you want more sidewalls.
Tire technology has jump up in a good way.

Going to try these out soon, so we will see what it do!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
:rofl::rofl:

500 wheel for now. I'm gonna go with a bigger turbo later on once I build my trans.
500-550 on the street is more than enough. That's a 10sec capable car, and anything more and you will spin any 235 drag radial on the street.

600+ is lame on the street for most owners. You can have 700hp, but that doesn't mean it's a 700+hp street car...just means you're 550hp until middle of 4th gear when you can put it down. More drivetrain/bottom end strain, and more traction problems.

Max your s256 out on 30-33psi...have a 550/550 car, and enjoy it for what it is.

There's a reason why you don't see many high hp street srts...impractical, expensive, and most folks part out the minute they realize they can't use the power.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
what size hoosier is that? i could only find a 225 and a 275 for a 15" no 235
Sorry, not sure. I don't run a 26" tire.

For your power, and what that turbo can do, the bias-ply m&h235 will work well if you don't mind swapping them on to run. The MT235 for if you rather have the leisure to drive around on them more on the street.

Either will hook.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with the mt's because of the driveabillty and being able to still have traction.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
What tire pressure would be good on the street is for MT 235/60/15?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts