Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i was thinking bout goin with the msd coil for the srt-4 it is only like less than 80 bucks

so

MSD= $80

and what wires

msd
magnacor
crane
accel

and what bout spark plugs my car only has 19000 miles on it would the stock plugs work with this set up oi am just asking for an opinoin by someone that has this set up already..

total investment would be about 110-130 for coil and wires depending on what set of wires is this worth it would there be a noticed difference in power and response???

also will it void warranty

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I have never used one but everythig I have read from people who have tried it usually ends up removing it. Most have had issues with the aftermarket coil. Stick with the stocker. Wires are fine. I have MSD wires on right now.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Check the specs, and you'll find that the stock mopar coil puts out a higher voltage, over MSD coil... :thumbsup:

...proof is Luc's 636hp car, with stock ignition compenents (including coil)!

The MSD wires 8.5 would be a worth while upgrade to go with stock coil.
A heat shield for coil (and base spacers) to provide longevity would be good also.
I use spark plug insulation boots on my wires, for the same reason, heat protection.

·
Registered
19,512 Posts
There is no one who has been limited in power because they ran the stock coil over an aftermarket one. And there have been WAY TOO MANY MSD coil failures. Save your money and keep the stock unit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so who has used what wire does ne one got the specs of ohms for these wires and thansk for telling me ill just keep my stock coil and

also if i change plug wires will it void warranty thanks guys yall are great

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
ive had the crane firewires and now have the mopar performance wires and im using a screamin demon aftermarket coilpack. i have noticed no performance gain of anykind whatsoever with these mods.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
i have had my MSD CP and wires for 2 years now nd havent had my upper heat shield for year and a half and lower for 8 months. Ordered mine through Modern Performance. If your worried just get the wires and call it a day. People have had problems with the stocker also.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i use the screamin demond coil and love it!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
i have the SD coil and my stock one on the shelf with very low miles. MSD is only good for going for the red theme under the hood. However their wires havent failed with my big turbo unlike the crane wires and even mopar. Bottom line stay away from the coil but as soon as you have a miss check your wires.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
getnpsi said:
i have the SD coil and my stock one on the shelf with very low miles. MSD is only good for going for the red theme under the hood. However their wires havent failed with my big turbo unlike the crane wires and even mopar. Bottom line stay away from the coil but as soon as you have a miss check your wires.
oh i thought srt-4 had a slight miss do they

·
Registered
452 Posts
SRT4Badboi said:
so who has used what wire does ne one got the specs of ohms for these wires and thansk for telling me ill just keep my stock coil and

also if i change plug wires will it void warranty thanks guys yall are great
SRT4Badboi said:
oh i thought srt-4 had a slight miss do they

Punctuation! Holy crap that's hard to read :stab:

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Small differences in resistance on plug wires isn't as important as to how well they'll stand up over use and how well they'll resist the extreme heat that builds up under hood when you stop moving. I've ran stock Mopar NGK wires (older cars) or Magnecor's in all my turbo Dodge's but there's a lot of good choices out there. Magnecor does have quite a bit of good tech info here.

No ignition product will ever give you any additional free power, only make up for deficiencies that were already present. The stock coil works great and the stock plug wires aren't too bad until they start to age and break down due to heat. At best the aftermarket coils should work exactly like stock and at worst you'll have a problem where it fails and you're out the money for it like is somewhat common on the MSD's. They make decent wires but I wouldn't touch their coils.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
timothy_21 said:
Punctuation! Holy crap that's hard to read :stab:
sorry i just be typing lol

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a MSD coil it works good .I have AGP wires stock plugs gap is .40 I think there must have been a bad batch made mine is still going strong smoother idle and noticable pick up. The only thing I would is install a thin peice of plastic between the coil and valve cover the metal sheild will just transfer heat to the base of the coil and heat it up

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
blackbird_R/T said:
Small differences in resistance on plug wires isn't as important as to how well they'll stand up over use and how well they'll resist the extreme heat that builds up under hood when you stop moving. I've ran stock Mopar NGK wires (older cars) or Magnecor's in all my turbo Dodge's but there's a lot of good choices out there. Magnecor does have quite a bit of good tech info here.

No ignition product will ever give you any additional free power, only make up for deficiencies that were already present. The stock coil works great and the stock plug wires aren't too bad until they start to age and break down due to heat. At best the aftermarket coils should work exactly like stock and at worst you'll have a problem where it fails and you're out the money for it like is somewhat common on the MSD's. They make decent wires but I wouldn't touch their coils.
Sooth. Stock components work great. The only addition for me would be to add a little heat sheild for the back of the coil and wires so the #3 and #4 wires don't fry every 5000 miles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts