Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what is your current gas mileage on 93 Octane fuel? What type of fuel is best for the SRT4? I drive a stock 05 and did an internet check and I dont think my numbers are quite the same. So I am asking the masses, and what would you think the problem would be if I am getting bad gas mileage? I was thinking of going MSD maybe it would help a little. And yes I know the right foot is the biggest problem!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sunoco gas

i quit using cheap gas and spent the extra 3 or 4 cents and use 93 from Sunoco. i get way better gas mileage. i have stage 2 and get 25 mpg daily driving to and from work. (local) i went from around 220-230 miles per tank to 260-270 per tank. my girlfriend satrted using Sunoco recently and noticed better throttle response and smoother idles. maybe its there additives who knows but i know my car runs better now then it did. Just try it for a few tanks and you will see. stay away from Royal Farms and Wawa's , 7-11's and places like that. I tried the 98 octane race gas and didn't see that big of a difference even with the HOM turned on.

·
Administrator
39,432 Posts
using only 93 octane from good gas stations and I've been getting over 300 miles to the tank (28mpg) for the past 3-4 weeks. This is with stage 2 and doing city-ish driving. nothing above 55mph but a lot of time kinda cruising between 35-45.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the math and it is about 10MPG!!!:crying:
I can only use the 93 octane from the base, the car runs great, and I see alot of city driving and on the autobahn. I usually see 100-120MPH everyday but it is not always a blast to that speed. Plus I have had a tank or two just in town and since I have owned the car for about a month I have never seen 160 miles on a full tank????!!!! Could the plugs be bad or wires, or SOMETHING????

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I average about 24mpg with mostly highway, but all it takes to drop that number is a couple WOT runs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I ran through my last "tank" (meaning 8.8 gallons until the low fuel warning light came on) with about 20 or so WOT 3rd gear "test runs" at max boost and still got 24.8 mpg. Now I do have a 50 trim and it seems like they live up to their reputation for achieving better mileage. It also seems like the summer weather (and maybe gas) helps a bit too.

So...if you are concerned about gas mileage, get a 50 Trim!:hi:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I currently run a STAGE II W/TOYS. I drive over 100 miles a day. I average 28 mpg if I only get into boost several times. If I stay out of boost and go basically the speed limits, I get about 30 mpg. Problem is it is hard to stay out of boost. High speed runs no doubt will suck the gas.

Try staying out of boost for a tank and see what you get. You should be around 28 mpg.

Currently, I have over 76000 on my car. I usually run Marathon 93 octane. When running at the track, I sometimes run 110 octane.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definately tried not running it hard the whole last tank, that meant 60mph on the autobahn(going to and from work) getting the finger or crazy looks from all the germans and still have not seen 170 miles on a tank yet!? Where should I start looking for bugs? I was thinking of checking, cleaning, and re gapping the plugs tonight when I get off. Also, I changed my ebrakes last night and found a few pipes that were loose, underside of car by the oil cooler, not really loose but needed a few turns with a screwdriver, I also put the bigger clamps on them, along with checking the rest of the vaccum lines which were good. Any suggestions? I was going to try a tank of 91 Octane but due to somme of you getting 28mpg on 93 I am going to stay with 93 and just troubleshoot, which of course where you guys come in, thanks in advance.........:bandit:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
hm... odd how on the tach/MPH displat it says "premium gas only" ... maybe that would be the first clue to use 93 octane in your car... n00bs...

Or, you read the owners manual that tells you EVERYTHING you need to know for upkeep on the car... and it would also cut down on 90% of the threads in "SRT Discussion" the other 10% are "with $100 what should I buy..." those people just don't deserve a good answer.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
20mpg from Day one with this car. MSD Coil & Wires, NGK Irridium Plugs, K&N Drop In, Blue Plate Special, S-0.
I drive it like I stole it ....all the time.
I wonder if S-1 would help my gas issues (its an 03)

Summer months make gas less potent too. Heat steals volume at the gas pumps... plus summer additives and what not. There are so many variables involved. Ive been Using Texaco (Techron BS) and there has been no difference. Ive never put anything lower than 93oct in.

I remember the good 'ol days of $1.40 Gal premium when I bought this car back in the summer of 2003,
.....I'm off to have a dream sequence now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KeyboardCommando said:
hm... odd how on the tach/MPH displat it says "premium gas only" ... maybe that would be the first clue to use 93 octane in your car... n00bs...

Or, you read the owners manual that tells you EVERYTHING you need to know for upkeep on the car... and it would also cut down on 90% of the threads in "SRT Discussion" the other 10% are "with $100 what should I buy..." those people just don't deserve a good answer.
WHOA WHOA WHOA guy, first off I know there is a guy with "Grammer Nazi" in his signature block here on the forums, someone needs to contact him STAT!

If you are having a bad day, lets keep it off the forums. The forums are here to ask questions through others. I am not going to find the answer to my question in the owners manual:readclose , or maybe you need to re-read it to make sure, I already have. Did you see any posts from me with "what's the best mod for 100$"? No, you didn't, or maybe you can re-read to make sure.
Moving on. I am going to try the MSD/tune up and am looking to do the Stage1 until I can get the Stage 3 later this year. But I am realizing it is problably me not the car. A friend of mine broke down on the Autobahn today and after helping him, he was about 60 miles from me, but I was happy for the excuse to jet on the Autobahn; I took a wrong turn on A3 which took me WAY away from my house. Anyways, after driving 150+ with two Porsches, getting smoked by a Mazzaratti(sp? got a thumbs up later though), and suprising numerous BMW's and Mercedes, I realized MPG really isn't going to matter so long as I have the Autobahn. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have had the car for one week now. I have filled up 3 times so far. The first day i had my car i drove 170 miles WOT. I was showing all my friends and everyone on the road that i had a fast neon. Now i am driving normal and i try my hardest not to use any boost. Sometimes you just want to get on it. I am getting the driver mod real soon:rofl:

·
Registered
176 Posts
i hope someone can help me better this time. in previous posts, the tips didn't help (though im still thankful). when my LOW FUEL LIGHT comes on, i've gone about 140 miles. when I go to fill up, the pump (i've tried 6 different stations) stops at less than 7.900 gallons.

i read somewhere that when the light comes on, we only have 1/8 gas left. that means the pump should stop somewhere by 10.5 gallons. i would understand if it stops at 10, but not at 7.900. because of this i know my gas mileage numbers are wrong.

what's going on? i hate filling up every 4 days, when i know i can fill up every 5 or 6. is my fuel level indicator broken? what are the chances of this?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
KeyboardCommando said:

91 is also premium so you know. Just ask the Cali people.

·
SRTforums Nazi Admin
16,228 Posts
^^^i was about to say the same thing :)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
KeyboardCommando said:

91 is also premium so you know. Just ask the Cali people.
please don't remind us :stab:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
texwill said:
I was wondering what is your current gas mileage on 93 Octane fuel? What type of fuel is best for the SRT4? I drive a stock 05 and did an internet check and I dont think my numbers are quite the same. So I am asking the masses, and what would you think the problem would be if I am getting bad gas mileage? I was thinking of going MSD maybe it would help a little. And yes I know the right foot is the biggest problem!:thumbsup:
Well first off, check plugs/wires/coil pack and replace as necessary. Check for exhaust leaks and also check and clean your o2 sensors. A s1 comp won't give you better gas mileage, more than likely worse. And yes a good way for increased mpg is a bigger turbo. Thats the excuse i gave my woman :jester:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
'04 K&N drop in filter, Stage 1, 36 psi in the tires.
Most driving a 50/50 mix highway/city, with daily spirited driving, I see 15 psi a couple times on every time out. I average 23 mpg.

Best mileage I got - 87 Octane - Highway 62mph, with a very light foot, absolutely no boosting - 38 mpg. I normally run 93 Octane Mobil,Exxon, or Sunoco. For long highway trips use a lower octane and you will get better mileage, just don't expect the performance.

I fill my car, run it till the gas light comes on, then run it 20-30 more miles, it then takes about 10.5 gallons of gas to fill.

I find I get slightly better gas mileage with Sunoco, not sure why.

The general consensus on the site is that the MSD is marginal, stock and Screamin demon are good performers.

YMMV ....

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm Happy

Iduno, but since I replaced my stock O2 housing with maxxfab 3"O2 connected to my turboback 2.5 inch exhaust to Aero Turbine Muffler on my Mopar stage 2 controlled SRT, it is getting over 30mpg consistantly going back and forth to work. A couple times now it's gotten around 36mpg. Iduno. I fuel up, go home 16miles then back to work 18miles then back to gas station 2miles and fuel up again. Only 1 gallon is used. Pretty freaking awsome if you ask me. A/F gauge is reading normal and car is just as fast as ever. Wierd. Before muffler and O2 housing I could only get around 26mpg at best. Aero Turbine too mentioned that it would improve Gas mileage with it's turbine effect by causing a increased exhaust flow due to muffler turbine design. Think it's a combination of two. Anyone else hear of gas mileage like this on a SRT-4?

Also have K&N CAI. Car runs great and Idle's smooth.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts