Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the background.....i'm a 19 year old male, and I have a car that is kinda running down. I live at home with no expenses except insurance, and I'm looking to get a new car. The problem is I was looking at the SRT-4, but there's no way I'm gonna get the loan. I have 3 grand saved up, and I have already been approved for a loan of 7500 dollars. I just started thinking about getting a motorcycle instead of a car, cuz I don't necessarily "need" a car to haul things. I don't have much in my car ever, just my school books. So all that could fit on the bike. And if I ever want to hang out with my friends, they can always drive. Anyways, what do some of u think? Is this too impractical/unsafe for someone my age? Or is this a feasible idea? It would be much cheaper all around then getting a car....and I think much more fun. Of course it's more dangerous...but I feel i'm a responsible/good driver. And with the proper training I could be the same on a bike. Any feedback positive or negative is appreciated....

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think it depends on a lot of variables. Where do you live? A bike might be a feasable option if you live in the south and never see snow. Also, do you mind riding in the rain? While you can operate a motorcycle safely in the rain, do you really want to? Trust me, it's no fun putting on all the rain gear/taking it off whenever you have somewhere to go. On the plus side, bikes are a blast to ride and are economical transportation. Bottom line for me - having a bike is great, but have it as a second vehicle. Gotta have 4 wheels for when the weather is bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bike-Car??

When I was a kid all I could think of was motorcycles.. I just could not wait till I got my license at 16.. my dad was going to help me out, and told me to choose a used car or cycle ... I got a new 1966 yamaha 250.. loved it... about two weeks later some sharp girl wanted to go out on a date to a drive-in..no car shit.. asked pop's for his car he said no way... take motorcycle... shit again..

Moral of story.. a used car would have got me laid.. cycle only got me wet as it rained all week..

By the way I was riding bikes up to 1 year ago..
Fun but get a car first... speaking from 53 years experience..

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
With all the crazy drivers these days, I feel safer in a car. Motorcylces are fun, but they aren't very forgiving in an accident. Also, a car has more backseat room than a motorcycle. :wink:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I say keep saving for the car. I am sort of in the same situation...im 20...want the SRT-4...but I still need some more money (not as much as you though). I have been thinking about getting a new R6 or 600RR. I could put down $3500, and pay $100/mo. I just got to thinking though, I think I would rather have the SRT-4 first. I live in los angeles, but even so, I dont wanna drive in the rain, and I wont have anyway to carry friends, and I will always have to lug around a helmet and leather jacket to class. I think a motorcycle would be fun to have (in addition to a car), but its just not practical to have as your only transportation.

Just keep saving...work two or three jobs during summer, work OT, anyhting...and maybe you can get within $7500 of the SRT-4. Maybe you will get approved for a larger loan in 6 months or so? Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
cutlass4lfe said:
Of course it's more dangerous...but I feel i'm a responsible/good driver. And with the proper training I could be the same on a bike.

when your on a bike being reasonable goes right out the window. when you can go 0-60 in 2.5 seconds it makes you want to do it all the time. cruising speed is also set at 100mph on those things. be very careful if you get a bike.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
SRT-Hunter said:
I have been thinking about getting a new R6 or 600RR.
get the r6, no question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Prepare to get raped on insurance for a motorcycle, especially if you're looking at a sportbike. If you've never ridden before I would avoid anything in the supersport class (ie. ANY Gixxers, R6/R1, F4i, ANY Ninja except for the EX250/500). A good learner bike (assuming you'd be looking at a sportbike and not a cruiser) would be the aforementioned EX250 or EX500 or an SV650. That being said, I'd rather have a car, esp. for inclimate weather and the fact that cagers are stupid when it comes to bikers. I only ride mine for fun, I have cars for daily commuting and whatnot. Just my $.02

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said before, thanks for all the feedback. I'm probably just gonna end up getting a car first, and then maybe in a couple of years get a bike. Of course u never know.......but that just seems to be the best road as of now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
you can always get a cheap bike. My first bike was a '73 honda cb500..cafe racer style 8) bought it for $900. Its not modern super sport bike, but its enough to get a kick out of. Plus, you need to learn on a less powerful bike...going right to a modern 600 is crazy in my opinion.

·
Registered
726 Posts
SRT-Hunter said:
you can always get a cheap bike. My first bike was a '73 honda cb500..cafe racer style 8) bought it for $900. Its not modern super sport bike, but its enough to get a kick out of. Plus, you need to learn on a less powerful bike...going right to a modern 600 is crazy in my opinion.
Agreed. My first bike was a Yamaha Seca II - awesome bike for the beginner. It was a 600 cc but not nearly as beefy as a true 'sporty' 600. Just enough to blow by the slow &@#%!* on the highway, but not rediculous in power.

Now that I think of it, I really miss my old bike....waaaaaahhhh :cry: :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
wow, my first bike was a 2000 gsx-r 750. idnt have any problems except the front wheel never wanted to stay down. i currently own a 2001 gsx-r 750 and the rear wheel never wants to stay down. hmmm, go figure. :roll:

·
Registered
175 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
wow, my first bike was a 2000 gsx-r 750. idnt have any problems except the front wheel never wanted to stay down. i currently own a 2001 gsx-r 750 and the rear wheel never wants to stay down. hmmm, go figure. :roll:
you got lucky i guess. I knew 2 guys who bought some powerful bikes as beginners (gixxer 600 and 1000)...both had nasty crashes within the first year of owning them. Then again, they were 19 years old when they got them. If your mature, and have a good head on your shoulders, then I guess you wont have to many problems. I still think learning on a bike that isnt so temperamental is the best way to go.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
SRT-Hunter said:
you got lucky i guess. I knew 2 guys who bought some powerful bikes as beginners (gixxer 600 and 1000)...both had nasty crashes within the first year of owning them. Then again, they were 19 years old when they got them. If your mature, and have a good head on your shoulders, then I guess you wont have to many problems. I still think learning on a bike that isnt so temperamental is the best way to go.
dont get me wrong, i dont advise getting a big bike for your first. i had already taken the safety course before i got the bike, so i was fairly certain that i could handle a large bike.

before i took the course when i was looking for bikes to buy i had a hard time choosing. it was when the hayabusa came out and i didnt know much about it. my choices were between the hayabusa and the 750. the 750 cost $9399. and the hayabusa was $10,099. i was leaning towards getting the hayabusa because it was only $700 more for a lot larger bike. thankfully i did a little more research and decided i liked turning better than going 190mph. so i got the 750 and never looked back.

my problem now is that the 1000 is out. the only thing i dont like about the 750is the lack of torque. not bad, but when you weigh 250 it tends to slow you down.

but moral of the story, get a good used (they can be found for cheap), 600cc or less bike. you will NOT be disappointed.

THE END

·
Registered
726 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
(snip)...I had already taken the safety course before i got the bike, so i was fairly certain that i could handle a large bike.

before i took the course when i was looking for bikes to buy i had a hard time choosing...
Shame on me for not mentioning the most important part of the equation...the MSF course!!! The Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic rider course is the gold standard for learning about riding safely. I took the course over a weekend and it was split evenly between classroom learning and range riding. They provided everything...the bikes, the helmets, the gloves...and the things I learned in that class saved my life on at least three occassions on the road. In fact, this short course is so trusted in FL (where I took the course) that you can get your motorcycle license endorsement without having to take a road test - FL DMV trusts the course that much. If you are serious about wanting to get a bike, don't do it without taking this course first! It's that good and your survival on the road is worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
same in md. you dont have to take the crappy dmv course if you pass the msf safety course. it is definitely a lifesaver!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've heard stories about a course that sounds similar to what you guys are talking about. My friend took it and said if you pass the test at the end, you don't have to take the test at the DMV.......i'm sure it's the same course. I live in California though, so it might be different I guess. Anyways, IF I get a bike...I'm looking at either the Yamaha R6, Honda CBR600RR, or the Kawasaki 636. I would love to get an R1, CBR954, or Suzuki GSX-R1000, but I know they'd be way too much power for me to handle. Although all of the 3 bikes I'm looking at weigh practically nothing, and are very sporty bikes. I'm still holding out for an SRT-4.....but if that doesn't fall through, then I'll probably get a bike.[/u]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
cutlass4lfe
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing